Memory upgrade for ReadyNAS Pro 6 Pioneer & Ultra

Memory upgrade for ReadyNAS Pro 6 Pioneer & Ultra

Postby haupin » Wed Aug 03, 2011 9:10 am

Hi.

I've got a ReadyNAS Pro Pioneer that keeps hanging at random points during resync, rendering it useless as it'll fail anywhere between 5 minutes and 5 hours after booting. I read in a different post that upgrading the memory will help.

I'm looking at different modules to buy now, and I'm not sure if I want to go for ECC or non-ECC. I'm thinking ECC would be good for a NAS, but if it's designed not to use ECC it might not be so good after all. Any thoughts?

Thanks.
haupin
ReadyNAS Newbie

Re: Memory upgrade for ReadyNAS Pro 6 Pioneer & Ultra

Postby mdgm » Wed Aug 03, 2011 11:52 pm

Upgrading the memory is not supported. The stock RAM is plenty.

Could you please run a few passes of the "Memory Test" and then run the "Disk Test" using the boot menu?: http://www.readynas.com/kb/faq/boot/how_do_i_use_the_boot_menu
Useful links: My ReadyNAS Gear|FAQ|Hardware Compatibility List|Docs: Setup Guide, Manual|Downloads|Unofficial Tips|GPL|MDGM on Twitter|MDGM's Unofficial Guides
NB: A ReadyNas is not an excuse not to have a backup. Fire, theft, multiple disk failures, other hardware failure, floods, user negligence etc. can all result in loss of data.
How we users can contact NETGEAR Technical Support | Australia: 1300 361 254 / Other Numbers|Online Submission
Unofficial Guide for Moving from Sparc ReadyNAS to x86 ReadyNAS|Using Gmail with the ReadyNAS|XRAID Volume Size Calculator
If you have found my website or help very useful, please consider a donation in USD or AUD
mdgm
ReadyNAS Enthusiast

ReadyNAS: RN516

Postby haupin » Thu Aug 04, 2011 1:46 am

Yes, I know it's not supported, yet there's a category with hundreds of posts on the forum, so people are still doing it.

It's most likely a memory failure, the reason I have the second NAS is I bought it to copy over everything from this failing NAS with other discs, as I suspected the resync failure was caused by bad disks. It was stable with the disk out, and I copied everything over and bought new disks for this failing NAS, but now I have the exact same problem with new disks. The old disks are running fine in another computer now.

So my question remains; if I want to replace my memory, can I use ECC or not?
haupin
ReadyNAS Newbie

Postby mdgm » Thu Aug 04, 2011 2:30 am

The Pro Pioneer is covered by a 3 year warranty. So I'd suggest testing the memory and if it's bad contact NetGear tech support with the results.

Back in the days when memory upgrades were supported a Jedi said that only non-ECC modules were supported.

NetGear had to remove the compatibility list for memory as new incompatible revisions of memory modules were introduced but with the same module number.
Useful links: My ReadyNAS Gear|FAQ|Hardware Compatibility List|Docs: Setup Guide, Manual|Downloads|Unofficial Tips|GPL|MDGM on Twitter|MDGM's Unofficial Guides
NB: A ReadyNas is not an excuse not to have a backup. Fire, theft, multiple disk failures, other hardware failure, floods, user negligence etc. can all result in loss of data.
How we users can contact NETGEAR Technical Support | Australia: 1300 361 254 / Other Numbers|Online Submission
Unofficial Guide for Moving from Sparc ReadyNAS to x86 ReadyNAS|Using Gmail with the ReadyNAS|XRAID Volume Size Calculator
If you have found my website or help very useful, please consider a donation in USD or AUD
mdgm
ReadyNAS Enthusiast

ReadyNAS: RN516

Return to Memory