Why is replication slow?

ReadyNAS Replicate simplifies the replication of that data to another ReadyNAS whether the two systems are on the same LAN or whether they are a world apart.

Why is replication slow?

Postby ScottChapman » Tue Jan 08, 2013 7:38 pm

I have a ReadyNAS Pro 6 -> ReadyNAS Pro 2 replication on a LAN. Both devices are LACP LAG on a gigabit network, with jumbo frames. And I am seeing replication go in the low single digits (3MB/Sec).

However, when I copy to/From my windows8 machine (also LACP LAG w/jumbo frames) I easily get around 100MB/sec

How do I diagnose what is going on here??
ScottChapman
Advanced ReadyNAS User

ReadyNAS: RN316

Re: Why is replication slow?

Postby chirpa » Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:25 am

Replicate uses rsync at least for some of it. And the Atom CPU in the Pro2 is decent, but can struggle on a lot of delta checking.

Replicate may also be falling back to proxy mode, sending the packets outside and back in. Can you check your Internet routers when its running, if traffic is headed that way?
chirpa
Jedi Council Alumni

ReadyNAS: Repertoire

Postby ScottChapman » Wed Jan 09, 2013 6:27 am

YEa it might be doing that. Last night it ran so slow (130KB/sec) that I probably wouldn't notice the traffic on the router.

Is there another way to diagnose this? Or never let it do proxy mode?
ScottChapman
Advanced ReadyNAS User

Postby ScottChapman » Wed Jan 09, 2013 7:34 am

I am pretty sure your guess is correct; 3.6MB is pretty close to what my outgoing limit is (35Mbps).

So, since these things are on my LAN, how can I get them to NT use the proxy? (I am good with command line stuff on these devices)

P2P version is p2p version: 1.9.9-71
ScottChapman
Advanced ReadyNAS User

Postby ScottChapman » Thu Jan 10, 2013 6:26 pm

How do I fix this? It is pretty rediculous that it is routing my traffic outside my local LAN. The boxes are sitting right next to each other on the same switch...
ScottChapman
Advanced ReadyNAS User

Postby chirpa » Thu Jan 10, 2013 6:45 pm

Remote experts don't visit the forums anymore. Best I can suggest is contacting someone here: https://remote.readynas.com/emailer.jsp
chirpa
Jedi Council Alumni

ReadyNAS: Repertoire

Return to ReadyNAS Replicate