ReadyDLNA feature requests for TiVo Support

(Replaces the existing UPnP-AV server support) Enables playback of videos, music and pictures from DLNA/UPnP AV network media players. Also adds TiVo HMO support.

ReadyDLNA feature requests for TiVo Support

Postby dachtler » Wed Apr 08, 2009 2:15 pm

I have two feature requests for the TiVo support in ReadyDLNA, mainly to work around the shortcomings of the browsing functionality in TiVo's HME interface.

1) With any reasonably sized music collection (I'm at ~4700 tracks), browsing the music from TiVo is painful. Is it possible to have alphabetical groupings under the Artist and Album folders (ABC, DEF, GHI, etc.), so that you don't have to scroll through the entire list 8 folders at a time on the TiVo?

2) Is it possible to have the tracks within a folder be displayed in track number order instead of alphabetical order? For certain compilation albums, they flow much better if they are played in the correct order. I'd like to avoid having to rename all tracks to start with track numbers if at all possible.

Thanks!
dachtler
ReadyNAS Newbie
 
Posts: 36
Joined: Wed Mar 25, 2009 11:49 am
ReadyNAS: Duo

Re: ReadyDLNA feature requests for TiVo Support

Postby Skywalker » Wed Apr 08, 2009 8:49 pm

dachtler wrote:1) With any reasonably sized music collection (I'm at ~4700 tracks), browsing the music from TiVo is painful. Is it possible to have alphabetical groupings under the Artist and Album folders (ABC, DEF, GHI, etc.), so that you don't have to scroll through the entire list 8 folders at a time on the TiVo?

It's doable. Perhaps we can add a check-box which tells it to divide content into alphabetical groups.

dachtler wrote:2) Is it possible to have the tracks within a folder be displayed in track number order instead of alphabetical order? For certain compilation albums, they flow much better if they are played in the correct order. I'd like to avoid having to rename all tracks to start with track numbers if at all possible.

I suppose it is possible, but it might be a little complicated. You see, TiVo tells us how it wants the tracks to be sorted. But I don't think track number is one of the fields. So it would be a violation of the TiVo HMO spec to do that, but you're right, it would make more sense in some cases.
User avatar
Skywalker
Jedi Council
 
Posts: 3125
Joined: Fri Nov 19, 2004 10:47 am
Location: Fremont, CA
ReadyNAS: NV

Re: ReadyDLNA feature requests for TiVo Support

Postby dachtler » Thu Apr 09, 2009 11:49 am

dachtler wrote:2) Is it possible to have the tracks within a folder be displayed in track number order instead of alphabetical order? For certain compilation albums, they flow much better if they are played in the correct order. I'd like to avoid having to rename all tracks to start with track numbers if at all possible.

I suppose it is possible, but it might be a little complicated. You see, TiVo tells us how it wants the tracks to be sorted. But I don't think track number is one of the fields. So it would be a violation of the TiVo HMO spec to do that, but you're right, it would make more sense in some cases.[/quote]

Good point. I forgot that TiVo's own desktop software displays the tracks in alphabetical order. The difference is that they use the filename, not the actual song title in the ID3 tag, and since iTunes creates filenames that start with track numbers, the songs are displayed in the correct order.

IIRC, Galleon will sort tracks by track number using the ID3 tag info, though I have not run it in quite a while and don't remember exactly how this was done (whether it did it by default, or put up an option on the TiVo display to allow for "sort by track number" which then fed back to the Galleon server).
dachtler
ReadyNAS Newbie
 
Posts: 36
Joined: Wed Mar 25, 2009 11:49 am
ReadyNAS: Duo

Re: ReadyDLNA feature requests for TiVo Support

Postby Skywalker » Thu Apr 09, 2009 3:55 pm

How about if we sort by track first if you're in an Album container, and title first everywhere else?
User avatar
Skywalker
Jedi Council
 
Posts: 3125
Joined: Fri Nov 19, 2004 10:47 am
Location: Fremont, CA
ReadyNAS: NV

Re: ReadyDLNA feature requests for TiVo Support

Postby dachtler » Thu Apr 09, 2009 5:09 pm

Skywalker wrote:How about if we sort by track first if you're in an Album container, and title first everywhere else?


That sounds like a good compromise. If you're looking by Artist or Genre, then you wouldn't care about track numbers necessarily.
dachtler
ReadyNAS Newbie
 
Posts: 36
Joined: Wed Mar 25, 2009 11:49 am
ReadyNAS: Duo


Return to ReadyDLNA



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests