Anti-Virus for ReadyNAS N+

Please post all that you want from a ReadyNAS here. Nothing guaranteed, but we'll certainly do our best if you make a good case for it.

Anti-Virus for ReadyNAS N+

Postby pedi » Sat Apr 19, 2008 1:47 am

I am quite new to ReadyNAS, FTP etc. :oops:

Could somebody recommend a anti-virus software for the ReadyNAS, so e.g. if somebody copies a file via FTP to my ReadyNAS that this file will be scanned for viruses.
Internally my PC clients run F-Secure Antivirus 2007.

Thx
Pedi
pedi
ReadyNAS Newbie

ReadyNAS: NV+

Re: Anti-Virus for ReadyNAS N+

Postby dbott67 » Sat Apr 19, 2008 6:50 am

Under normal circumstances, running an AV program on Linux is not required provided that you are running an AV client on your PCs. Most viruses are written for the Windows platform and cannot run on Linux.

That said, if you are just trying to add another layer of protection, you can always install 'clamav'. More details about clam here:

http://www.clamav.net/

Installation Steps for ReadyNAS:

1. Install the EnableRootSSH add-on.

2. Install an SSH client on your PC (such as PuTTY).

3. SSH into your NAS as root (i.e. ssh root@ip.address.of.nas). The password is your admin password (originally 'netgear1')

4. Install the APT add-on.

5. Update your package list:
Code: Select all
apt-get update

6. Install 'clamav':
Code: Select all
apt-get install clamav

The add-ons above can be found under the "Shell Access Patches" listed here:
http://www.readynas.com/?page_id=94

Before doing this, you may want to wait for an official 'blessing' from one of the Jedi council.

-Dave
dbott67
ReadyNAS Fanatic

ReadyNAS: Pro

Postby chirpa » Sun Apr 20, 2008 8:06 pm

I installed clamav a few months back on one of my test 1100s. Haven't seen any harm from it, but at the same time, I haven't given it a full testing by dropping bad files on it.
chirpa
Jedi Council Alumni

ReadyNAS: Repertoire

Postby evandro » Mon Apr 21, 2008 6:09 pm

chirpa wrote:I installed clamav a few months back on one of my test 1100s. Haven't seen any harm from it, but at the same time, I haven't given it a full testing by dropping bad files on it.

You could always drop in the EICAR test-file (more) to see how it behaves.

HTH
evandro
ReadyNAS Newbie

Postby redmojo » Mon Aug 18, 2008 10:36 pm

I had this question too and figured out a way to check the readynas from my desktop computer -

1. you need to map each of the folders on your readynas by going to the readynas network folder, right clicking and selecting "map network drive". The window will prompt you to assign a drive letter to the network folder. Once this is done, then you should see a list of mapped drives on your "my computer" explorer window (it should show up under your list of hard drives".

2. I'm using kaspersky; so from my desktop computer, I use kaspersky to look for other drives to scan, and locate/add the mapped readynas drives. I'm not sure how this would work on other AV programs, but I'n guesstimating that they should have some sort of "add" feature that you can add the mapped network drive to. After that scan the drive; if it starts scanning your many readynas located files then it worked; if it only scanned one file (ie: the icon shortcut) then you need to try it again.

Note: when your readyNAS reboots you'll then need to re-map every folder you want your AV program to scan. It's a pain, but worth the trouble for the extra security on the readynas.

good luck!
redmojo
ReadyNAS Newbie

Postby pinari » Wed Jun 24, 2009 2:47 am

How do you step by step rmove a computer virus with avast antivirus? I have a computer virus and have removed alot of ifected files with avast, but it's still here, what should I do? And I'm not gonna install another antivirus than Avast. Any experts out there?
Last edited by pinari on Fri Jun 26, 2009 3:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
pinari
ReadyNAS Newbie

Postby super-poussin » Wed Jun 24, 2009 12:37 pm

If you have a virus , you need to boot with a clean system using a floppy or usb and use program like stinger to find the virus
If you like my add-ons - Si vous aimez mes add-ons :
EN/US:Image --- -------- FR: Image or Paypal @mail: readynas@orange.fr
Where I'm teaching
4B Perros
super-poussin
ReadyNAS Add-ons Expert

ReadyNAS: RN516

Return to Feature Request