Hamachi Client Plugin?

Please post all that you want from a ReadyNAS here. Nothing guaranteed, but we'll certainly do our best if you make a good case for it.

Postby chirpa » Tue Aug 28, 2007 12:27 am

T2k wrote:
sharkaccident wrote:Hamachi by far is the easiest way to connect to a non-local computer/drive.

Umm in your world, perhaps - in reality I work as chief of IT and this was the first time I ever come across this ***chi and anybody I asked - all work in IT - never heard of it sans one person who has heard the name but did not know WTF is it.

I have to agree with T2k. It may be the 'easiest way', but is it the best, most compatible secure way? nope.
chirpa
Jedi Council Alumni

ReadyNAS: Repertoire

Postby PeteTh » Tue Aug 28, 2007 2:23 am

I really don't mind if I use Hamachi or SSH, the tool doesn't matter, but what many people want to be able to do (including me) is access their ReadyNas remotely - but not just via FTP, instead we need it to appear like its just another drive letter. This allows all programs to access the data there and allows better synchronising etc.

I know this works very well, and very simply using Hamachi (it's an amazing piece of software - it's ability to create a 'virtual' network of any PCs where ever they are is first class). I know this can be done with VPN but that is very complex and potentially costly. Also with VPN you become connected to the virtual network, but then lose any networking you have locally e.g. when I work from home for some tasks I need to connect to my work's VPN, but as soon as I do I lose the connectivity to my home network - so I can no longer print or access my ReadyNas ! Where as with Hamachi you can switch your Hamachi Private Network on, see other PCs and their drives, but still be part of your local network as well.

If you can tell me how to acheive similar without Hamachi and using SSH I will gladly try. But I don't see how getting access to the ReadyNas Shell will improve what I'm trying to do (unless I can install Hamachi on the ReadyNas)

Please advise.
PeteTh
ReadyNAS Newbie

Postby wmcelhan » Tue Aug 28, 2007 7:03 am

OK, let’s be nice.

Although, given that we have SSH access, I figure one can consider tunneling over SSH what ever ports they need for their application’s protocol. This avoids having to load additional software from unknown (and sometimes foreign) sources.

When I have time, I’ll find or create some documentation, which should make it easier for others to do this, unless someone else beats me to it.

FYI: I have NOT done this with the ReadyNAS (yet :) ), but I have done it with spare Linux systems, while tunneling wanted windows protocols.

In fact one probably shouldn't use many file share protocols over the internet without considering tunneling over SSH or a VPN tunnel which is about the same. 8)

Presently, I need to get back to work. :worship:

Later
wmcelhan
Advanced ReadyNAS User

Postby jcollins » Tue Aug 28, 2007 9:21 am

T2k wrote:Umm in your world, perhaps - in reality I work as chief of IT and this was the first time I ever come across this ***chi and anybody I asked - all work in IT - never heard of it sans one person who has heard the name but did not know WTF is it.

Well, now learn something new every day... :) They talked about it a bit on Security Now and seemed to like it. Just one of the many different VPN softwares out there though.
jcollins
Advanced ReadyNAS Expert

ReadyNAS: 600

Postby chirpa » Tue Aug 28, 2007 10:26 am

PeteTh wrote:many people want to be able to do (including me) is access their ReadyNas remotely - but not just via FTP, instead we need it to appear like its just another drive letter. This allows all programs to access the data there and allows better synchronising etc.

check this out:
http://www.neophob.com/serendipity/inde ... r-SSH.html
chirpa
Jedi Council Alumni

Postby wmcelhan » Tue Aug 28, 2007 12:15 pm

derek wrote:
PeteTh wrote:many people want to be able to do (including me) is access their ReadyNas remotely - but not just via FTP, instead we need it to appear like its just another drive letter. This allows all programs to access the data there and allows better synchronising etc.

check this out:
http://www.neophob.com/serendipity/inde ... r-SSH.html

NOW I figured if anyone derek would beat me to it. :wink:

FYI: In order to use it from MAC-OSX

Finder: ....
Misc ?
Connect to Server ?

SMB://IPADDRESS/

Derek, Don't you use a MAC ? :D

Can you fix the above.
wmcelhan
Advanced ReadyNAS User

Postby chirpa » Tue Aug 28, 2007 12:19 pm

wmcelhan wrote:Derek, Don't you use a MAC ?

I don't have any Macs. Just Linux,Windows 2003,Windows Mobile 5
chirpa
Jedi Council Alumni

Postby wmcelhan » Tue Aug 28, 2007 12:52 pm

Assumptions are dangerous. :slap:
A post in a previous forum looked to have come from a MAC. :roll:

I suppose there is always…

Although I read somewhere that you need a license or be an Apple Dev. to legally do this.

http://www.osx86.theplaceforitall.com/howto/
http://www.tech-recipes.com/rx/964/inst ... es_windows
http://www.brucebeh.com/installosx86.txt
http://www.boingboing.net/2005/09/08/ho ... ac_os.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OSx86
http://wiki.osx86project.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page 8)

Unless a MAC OS-X user steps up.
wmcelhan
Advanced ReadyNAS User

Postby sharkaccident » Tue Aug 28, 2007 6:15 pm

Umm in your world, perhaps - in reality I work as chief of IT and this was the first time I ever come across this ***chi and anybody I asked - all work in IT - never heard of it sans one person who has heard the name but did not know WTF is it.

All I meant to say was that on average I have found that trying to setup a share with friends on different networks is quite easy with this program for a variety of reasons;

1. No configuration is needed with a router or firewall

2. The network does not have to be managed (lets say add user name and passwords for each user in order to access network)

3. Steps to get to a network share:
3a. enter Network name
3b. enter password
3c. right click on computer with share and go to browse.

That simple. Maybe in T2K's network users are more advanced than mine but this has made it so simple to do that even the most ill-literate users are able to access network shares.

4. There is some encryption in the program. Hamachi uses industry standard AES encryption algorithm with 256 bit key to protect all bulk data traffic in server to client and peer to peer traffic. (from website)

5. Free

I am no IT professional, just an average home user. So if T2K (or anyone else who quoted my last post) would like to post some examples of programs that do what this can do, as easy as it can do it, and be free I would love to see it and more importantly try it out.
sharkaccident
ReadyNAS Newbie

You have valid points, and presented them well. Sold.

Postby wmcelhan » Wed Aug 29, 2007 8:12 pm

You have valid points, and presented them well.

Easy is important, just not as fun. :D

I'll be looking at it, although I think derek mentioned earlier that it's not coded for sparc systems. :cry:
wmcelhan
Advanced ReadyNAS User

Postby vrillusions » Sun Sep 23, 2007 7:57 pm

sharkaccident wrote:I am no IT professional, just an average home user. So if T2K (or anyone else who quoted my last post) would like to post some examples of programs that do what this can do, as easy as it can do it, and be free I would love to see it and more importantly try it out.

I actually recently had to ditch hamachi. The current custom built firewall I had at home was giving me some issues after a couple years so I looked around for some prebuilt firewall OSs again. Went with pfsense and it's actually so secure ("too secure" if you look on hamachi forums) that it can't work with hamachi without a lot of hassle, and only for windows clients. As I mainly run shares of linux servers.. this wasn't an option.

One thing pfsense offered that did intrigue me was OpenVPN, PPTP, and a couple other secure remote access methods. Setup was a little more envolved than hamachi's install and run, but OpenVPN acts just like an actual vpn. At work I'm a network admin and maintain site-to-site vpns between three locations as well as remote client connections (all using cisco, which is no where close to free). Once configured, OpenVPN can act just like it, and even has site-to-site vpn support and I guess it can even tie into cisco's vpn service with a lot of tweaking. I've started to look over what has to be done in the cisco pix's to allow the openvpn clients to connect (which are available for most os's I'm sure even sparc :) )

Ohh, and the big advantage to OpenVPN over hamachi. connected clients have full access to all your LAN devices as if connected locally, including any readynas devices, without the need to installing a client on every single internal machine. So I have my home firewall with an OpenVPN server running. My laptop has the OpenVPN client. I click connect, and I can now access anything on my network at home using it's normal ip address. I've migrated pretty much all the services that i used hamachi for to use openvpn instead. Configuration isn't too hard (keep in mind you will want to look for setups for "road warriors" as it's commonly mentioned in OpenVPN docs. And you don't have to use it pfsense for openvpn or even run it on the firewall. Just send the incoming port to some other machine that you can setup for OpenVPN.

Since aparently I don't make the criteria for posting URLs inline. Here are the links (replace _ with a . or just search for those names):
pfsense - www_pfsense_com
openvpn - openvpn_net
vrillusions
ReadyNAS Newbie

Postby chirpa » Sun Sep 23, 2007 8:07 pm

+1 for OpenVPN. I run it on two linksys WRT54G's to have site-to-site vpn between two locations, works great.
chirpa
Jedi Council Alumni

Re: Hamachi Client Plugin?

Postby grimloch » Wed Apr 16, 2008 9:10 pm

any updates on hamachi for readynas? never possible?
grimloch
Advanced ReadyNAS User

ReadyNAS: Pro

Postby sorjai » Thu May 15, 2008 7:48 am

I'd like to see an OpenVPN server available on the Readynas as well :)
sorjai
Advanced ReadyNAS User

Postby grimloch » Sun May 25, 2008 3:24 pm

Well we should be able to get a Hamachi add-on for the ReadyNAS Pro because it'll have an intel processor, RIGHT?!?!??????????
grimloch
Advanced ReadyNAS User

PreviousNext

Return to Feature Request