Unable to do Factory Reset for Ultra 4

This forum will be deprecated soon. Please post issues pertaining to boot, installation, upgrade, and expansion in the appropriate forums above.

Unable to do Factory Reset for Ultra 4

Postby disa1377 » Fri Oct 29, 2010 10:19 pm

1)Ultra 4 with firmware 4.2.15

2)Router showing NAS having IP 192.168.1.1 but NAS showing IP 192.168.1.1

3)RAIDar can see NAS but unable to access using Firefox 3.6.12 or IE 7 to open Frontview

4)Decided to do factory factory reset using reset button on NAS.

5) What I did, power down NAS, poke paper clip into reset button and hold it there, press power button, NAS power up and i continue to hold reset button for the 30 second led blink....

6) Problem was, i did not see the 30s act led blink... held for more than 1min. The lcd screen on nas showing "boot menu" and solid green light for backup button, 1,2,3,4 leds and solid blue light for power button. it just sits there like that forever..

Problem solved.... but somebody should update the FAQ....
Last edited by disa1377 on Fri Oct 29, 2010 10:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
disa1377
ReadyNAS Newbie

ReadyNAS: Ultra

Re: Unable to do Factory Reset for Ultra 4

Postby chirpa » Fri Oct 29, 2010 10:22 pm

Sounds like you were following the steps for the old Sparc NAS platform.

The x86 models act different. When you see Boot Menu show up, release the reset button, then push the Backup button on the front until you see Factory Default on the LCD. Push and release Reset once more to start the process.
chirpa
Jedi Council Alumni

ReadyNAS: Repertoire

Postby disa1377 » Fri Oct 29, 2010 10:30 pm

Thanks chirpa,

Anywhere i read about what the different options in Factory reset means and its implications? "os reinstall", "normal" , "factory reset" etc
disa1377
ReadyNAS Newbie

Postby chirpa » Fri Oct 29, 2010 10:37 pm

Factory Default = all data wiped, reset back to original. If triggered, you have a 10 minute timeout to abort, by just powering off.
OS/Firmware re-install = overwrite system files. Config and data remains intact. Admin password resets to netgear1, IP settings to DHCP.
Normal = like not using the boot menu.
chirpa
Jedi Council Alumni

Postby chirpa » Fri Oct 29, 2010 10:38 pm

If you plug in the cable to the 2nd network port on the Ultra, does the IP become anything different?
chirpa
Jedi Council Alumni

Postby disa1377 » Fri Oct 29, 2010 10:56 pm

Background Info.
Win 7 pro, 64bit.

nope... it just stayed at 192.168.1.18. It happened after i plugged a USB 2.5" hdd into the backup usb and press the "backup" button. the back happen too fast for over 200gb of data so i access Ultra 4 using "My Computer" and manually "Cut & paste" from the usb folder to a folder in NAS. After 2 hours or so, finished so i unplugged USB. After which i logged into Frontview. A Msg Box appear advising please check error in log. I went to log and find its empty. I have already set NAS to email Alerts and tested it working before... But by that time, no email can be sent, i entered a different email into "Contact 1" and press apply button. The "working" icon appear briefly and then the " Contact 1" icon become blank again.... i also cannot use the remote firmware update button and NAS will inform unable to connect. Basically by that time whatever settings i tried changing then applying will not be applied... i Power reset the NAS and thats when i cannot even access frontview or folders.... tried 2nd ethernet port with different IP and no luck.... in the end decided to do factory reset but followed the wrong instructions.... frustrating indeed... but as a neebie, its a learning experience.... lost a bit a data, needs to reconfigure the NAS from scratch again....
BTW, the USB powered 2.5" HDD is in NTFS format... will that be a problem? should i format it to FAT32 or exFAT

Hopefully won't encounter the problem again... :)
disa1377
ReadyNAS Newbie

Postby PapaBear » Sat Oct 30, 2010 9:42 am

The only problem with NTFS is that the file transfer is slower than if a FAT32. You could plug the drive in and let the NAS format the drive which would then be Ext3 I believe (one of the Linux formats). The problem then is that without a 3 party app on the PC, you could not read/write to the USB drive when it is plugged into a PC.
Remember - the NAS is not a backup plan.

Backup = Good, No Backup = Bad
PapaBear
ReadyNAS Junkie

ReadyNAS: NVX

Postby Wheels » Fri Nov 05, 2010 12:11 pm

I'm still missing something. I tried to do the reset. Pushed the reset button and the power button. Power came on and I let go of the power button and kept the reset button pushed in. Machine went into "booting" and I let go of the reset button and pushed the backup button and held it but the unit just kept going through the boot process till it was done. Tried the same thing but kept the reset button pushed in and the unit kept going through the boot up process till it was done. Never got the menu for the different boot options.

I won't ask the harder questions of why they made it this hard to do a re-set and why it wasn't documented in the manual.
Wheels
ReadyNAS Newbie

Postby chirpa » Fri Nov 05, 2010 12:46 pm

What were you using to push in the reset button? I find a paperclip or thumbtack works well. Sounds like it wasn't pressed enough to trigger it, as Boot Menu should show up within 10 seconds of power on.
chirpa
Jedi Council Alumni

Postby Wheels » Fri Nov 05, 2010 12:47 pm

I used a paper clip but will go now and try to push it harder.
Wheels
ReadyNAS Newbie

Postby chirpa » Fri Nov 05, 2010 12:48 pm

You should be able to feel the click it has when de-pressed.
chirpa
Jedi Council Alumni

Postby Wheels » Fri Nov 05, 2010 12:53 pm

The reset button engages with alight touch and works because the unit shuts down when you push it in and push the power button. I pushed it even harder when restarting and it still went through the entire boot process without going into the menu.
Wheels
ReadyNAS Newbie

Postby Wheels » Sun Nov 14, 2010 8:13 am

Problem solved. Support agreed it was a hardware problem and replaced the unit.
Wheels
ReadyNAS Newbie

Postby chirpa » Sun Nov 14, 2010 1:11 pm

Let us know your results with the replacement unit.
chirpa
Jedi Council Alumni

Postby dented » Sun May 22, 2011 3:00 am

chirpa wrote:Sounds like you were following the steps for the old Sparc NAS platform.

The x86 models act different. When you see Boot Menu show up, release the reset button, then push the Backup button on the front until you see Factory Default on the LCD. Push and release Reset once more to start the process.

Would it be ok to put this in the FAQ? It took me a fair while to find this solution as the FAQ only details the old sparc method :)
dented
ReadyNAS Newbie

Return to General Issues with Boot, Installation, Upgrade, and Expansion