First to caveat - I am 22 year IT professional in infrastructure and operations - I know what I am doing (not that the ReadyNas is rocket science).
- I have a ReadyNas Ultra 4 installed at my home to backup my PCs and iMac.
- When I first got the product about 2 years ago, it worked great. I copied and backed up all my Video files to the device.
- My problems started about a year ago or a little more where after shutting down and booting the device I have had many issues accessing the device since
- Device will boot but cannot access Frontview
- Device will boot, can access Frontview but cannot access file shares from PC
- Device will boot, but cannot access anything
- After giving up for a while I decided maybe I need to update the firmware. I got into FV and updated the firmware and then it would not boot
- At this point I opened a tech support ticket of which I was told was my ONE FREE call even though the unit was still under warranty - I won't go off about that one yet
- Tech Support walked me through the pinhole reset of the OS
- I was able to access everything after rebooting twice - thanked the helpful tech support and hung up
- Shut the unit down again to put it back on it's shelf, will not reboot - Just sat there stuck in Booting.....
So now I need to access teh files on the device and cannot get to them. Rebooting again has forced a FS Check and says it completes but then just says Booting...
I tried to do the OS reset again and when I do that it says something about a Cannot extract - corrupt.... So now it is completely not working and for me to call tech support will cost money. What a load of BS.....
I had a lot of respect for Netgear before I bought this $1000 hunk of crap.