"Delayed write Failed" windows error!! (#7852385)

Please post questions regarding performance of the ReadyNAS here. (How to optimize the ReadyNAS performance)

Re: "Delayed write Failed" windows error!!

Postby is0lde » Mon Sep 22, 2008 1:30 pm

I have been in touch with Support - and they have finally escalated my case. I will keep you posted on any developments.

I have the same issue with my Laptop too except I got a "network path no longer found" message instead..
Netgear readyNAs Duo - RAIDiator 4.1.10, Twin seagate Baracuda Green 2TB ST2000DL003
Netgear FS608 v2 Switch
WDTV Live
Synology DS212j 2TB
Apple airport express V6.3 and Extreme v7.3.2
Win XP sp3
is0lde
ReadyNAS Newbie

ReadyNAS: Duo

Postby multiVitamin » Mon Sep 22, 2008 3:21 pm

hmm had that network path error a few times as well.

thanks for sharing any updates
ReadyNAS NV+ RND4250: NV+ || 1,5TB X-RAID || 2x Seagate ST3500630NS Barracuda ES 500 GB + Samsung HD501LJ SpinPoint T166 Series 500GB || 256MB RAM || RAIDiator 4.1.3
multiVitamin
ReadyNAS Newbie

ReadyNAS: NV+

Postby chirpa » Mon Sep 22, 2008 3:30 pm

is0lde wrote:I have been in touch with Support - and they have finally escalated my case. I will keep you posted on any developments.
What is the case number?
chirpa
Jedi Council Alumni

ReadyNAS: Repertoire

Postby is0lde » Mon Sep 22, 2008 3:56 pm

NETGEAR Support case #7852385
Netgear readyNAs Duo - RAIDiator 4.1.10, Twin seagate Baracuda Green 2TB ST2000DL003
Netgear FS608 v2 Switch
WDTV Live
Synology DS212j 2TB
Win XP sp3
is0lde
ReadyNAS Newbie

Re: "Delayed write Failed" windows error!! (#7852385)

Postby Skywalker » Mon Sep 22, 2008 6:26 pm

Does this happen on all the shares? Does changing the oplocks setting for the share make a difference?
Skywalker
Jedi Council

ReadyNAS: NV

Postby multiVitamin » Tue Sep 23, 2008 5:45 am

happens on all shares in my case.

changing oplocks doesn't change anything for me :(

I started getting the worse with the "network path not found" errors after I added a share to separate my music and videos so I have a dedicated share for each of them, to clean up my media server tree (twonkyvision)

the time before I mostly had delayed write errors but mostly without any data loss so I didn't care, but now everytime I get either write delay failed or network path not found errors it's 100% sure that i've lost some data (checked with mp3, all of them were corrupt more or less at the end of the file even though they had the right size)

all the shares are set to have user "admin" as owner
ReadyNAS NV+ RND4250: NV+ || 1,5TB X-RAID || 2x Seagate ST3500630NS Barracuda ES 500 GB + Samsung HD501LJ SpinPoint T166 Series 500GB || 256MB RAM || RAIDiator 4.1.3
multiVitamin
ReadyNAS Newbie

Postby is0lde » Tue Sep 23, 2008 8:32 am

My two shares have the same problem. When I called tech support, they did check the oplocks, and got me to make a few adjustments in the advanced settings for CIFS, but it had no effect. All my shares are Adim - read / write..
Netgear FS608 v2 Switch
WDTV Live
Synology DS212j 2TB
Win XP sp3
is0lde
ReadyNAS Newbie

Postby multiVitamin » Tue Sep 23, 2008 11:59 pm

I think I finally archived a victory.

it's not been easy, but I guess it's been the only way to fix it.

I've copied all the data on the readynas to my desktop's and notebooks harddrives (nearly 400 gigs) and made a factory reset

after the resync of my disks I have set mtu to 1492, and deactivated oplock, and turned CIFS fast writes off. I still had delayed write errors when having these activated.

everything works now, copied about 30gb without a single error message so far.

is0lde you might consider this also. might be a pain in the a** to do, but I guess it will be the only solution I am afraid

best of luck for you

Oliver
multiVitamin
ReadyNAS Newbie

Postby is0lde » Wed Oct 01, 2008 3:12 pm

We tried 2 computers with direct connect, and both had write errors.
My case with Support has come to a dead end - even if I do a RMA - I dont know that I will get the same problems again with a new chassis.

I may think have to consider your suggestion at this point, as I have nothing to loose now except my weekend.

:roll:
Netgear FS608 v2 Switch
WDTV Live
Synology DS212j 2TB
Win XP sp3
is0lde
ReadyNAS Newbie

Postby donb1948 » Fri Oct 03, 2008 1:50 pm

Anyone find a better solution to this problem (i.e., "delayed write error") than factory reset.

I started getting this error last night while copying audio files to the DUO using MediaMonkey. I have previously copied several hundred CDs to the Duo without error using MediaMonkey over the past 1.5 months. The last significant change I made to the system was the installation of RAIDiator 4.1.4. I waited until September 29th to update RAIDiator specifically because I wanted to have all of my CDs ripped first. My wife gave me a new CD for my birthday yesterday and when I tried to rip it to the DUO last night, I got the "delayed write error." This happens with both my desktop and laptop computers. By coincidence, I spent the day trying everything listed in this thread (except factory reset) and then some to no avail. (I just found this thread about 30 minutes.)

My experience makes me suspect RAIDiator 4.1.4. Is there a definitive solution elsewhere in the forum???

(Never Mind.... Problem resolved. Seems like the problem was a combination of the program I was using and the setup for the ReadyNAS but I'm not sure exactly what fixed the problem. After I disabled oplocks on ALL shares (not just the one I was using), turned off Journaling and Fast CIFS writes AND modified the titles of the CDs I was ripping to exclude certain characters, it started working again. Too lazy to go back and methodically figure out exactly what the fix was.
donb1948
ReadyNAS Newbie

Postby rodc271 » Thu Oct 16, 2008 3:20 pm

I have been getting similar errors using the Microsoft SyncToy v2 utility. I have had to disable oplocks on all shares. After disabling oplocks, SyncToy runs OK, enable oplocks, and I get very strange errors.
ReadyNAS NV+, 1GB RAM, 4 x 500GB Seagate Barracuda 7200.10. APC Back-UPS RS 800.
rodc271
ReadyNAS Newbie

Postby kongo09 » Sun Nov 09, 2008 6:38 am

Guys, I had the same problem but just now resolved it without factory reset!

The problem for me occured when I tried to rip a CD using iTunes directly to the readyNAS. As destination I was using an iTunes folder on the factory configured media share. And that's where the issue seems to be.

The only change I really had done (in that context) since my last CD ripping was a configuration of the UPnP AV server. I had ticked the box to "automatically update database". While I honestly don't really know what it does, I thought "automatic" is better than not "automatic". However, this seems to keep the readyNAS busy with accessing new media files on the share even while they're still written. And that again confuses Windows XP trying to write the file.

By turning off "automatically update database" I was able to get rid of the error and I just ripped a number of CDs without further problems.

Actually, a similar problem occurs when you use the Twonky Media Server and set the rescan to "-1", i.e. to automatic or if you use the Firefly server and set it to "always scan". I remember that the error message was somewhat different, but the effect was the same: I couldn't rip CDs or write to the media share.

So you should check these settings carefully. And the Netgear folks should get their head around fixing this (or at least documenting it).

Other info on my system (as this might have some impact I'm not aware of):
  • Speed duplex = auto negotiation
  • MTU = 1500
  • Jumbo frames = disabled
  • CIFS settings for media share = read only with user based write access
  • Advanced CIFS permissions enabled, with group=read/write and everyone=read
  • oplocks = enabled

Hope this helps,
kongo09
kongo09
ReadyNAS Newbie

Postby Dogberry » Sun Jan 04, 2009 6:06 pm

kongo09 wrote:By turning off "automatically update database" I was able to get rid of the error and I just ripped a number of CDs without further problems.
Thanks, Kongo. I had the same problem, and was puzzled by it, because it had been awhile since I enabled UPnP (for the first time -- never needed it before), and it didn't occur to me that it might be the source of my "Delayed Write" problems. I'd ripped many hundreds of CDs before without trouble, but suddenly couldn't get through one without errors. I tried several adjustments in the "Performance" tab with no luck, but a search on the forums here turned up your solution, and I realized at once I was being bitten by the same thing. Turned off the automatic updates for the UPnP database, and my problem disappeared.

I think the trouble is the lack of horsepower of the ReadyNAS box. When fruppes is trying to keep its media database updated in real time while files are in flux (as they are when being ripped directly to the media share), the NAS just can't keep up with the traffic. Probably not much that can be done about it, I suppose; it's most likely just a limitation of the CPU (although I guess it's possible that more memory would help; I'm still running with the factory-installed 256MB).

Anyway, thanks for posting the solution you found. It undoubtedly saved me time trying to figure it out for myself.
Dogberry
ReadyNAS User

Postby rolski » Thu May 28, 2009 2:01 am

I would question some of the comments made in this thread regarding solutions and think I've found the answer by checking my configuration methodically - I've been having the "Delayed write failed" problem for a couple of weeks now when ripping CD's into iTunes from my desktop PC, with my iTunes_Music_Folder located on my NV+.

I've turned off "automatically update database" - no change.
I've tried almost all of the other suggestions on this thread - no change.

Except, when I turned off the "oplocks" option, the problem disappeared. When I turned it back on, the problem came back. Some others have also noted the same effect, but I'm skeptical of some of the other configuration claims (changes).

Anyone care to comment ?
rolski
ReadyNAS User

Postby kongo09 » Thu May 28, 2009 2:24 am

That's interesting. I'll check with my ReadyNAS Duo. For me, the problem definitely went away with my described solution, but maybe there are some more things leading to the same issue. I don't know if I have oplocks used... will report back here.
kongo09
ReadyNAS Newbie

PreviousNext

Return to Performance