ReadyNas Pro Drops / Loses Connection from Network

Please post questions regarding performance of the ReadyNAS here. (How to optimize the ReadyNAS performance)

ReadyNas Pro Drops / Loses Connection from Network

Postby arnoldchoi » Sat Sep 12, 2009 9:54 am

Hello,

I am having a reoccuring problem with my ReadyNas Pro. It appears that after a certain period of time (seems random) that the ReadyNas Pro loses network connectivity from from local LAN and I am unable to access it (Frontview, Windows Explorer, Mac Finder, etc) for about 20-30 seconds. It then appears back on the network and all is well.

Why do I keep losing my connection? Can anyone help?

Arnold
arnoldchoi
ReadyNAS Newbie

Re: ReadyNas Pro Drops / Loses Connection from Network

Postby dbott67 » Sat Sep 12, 2009 10:04 am

You'll need to go through a process of elimination by trying the following:

- Verify that the disconnection is at the NAS side (rather than the client side). Can other PCs still access the NAS or are all computers affected? During the problem, are you still able to access other network resources (internet, other PCs on the network, etc.)?

- If it appears that the NAS is the culprit, try replacing the network cable with a known-working cable.

- Try connecting the cable to the 2nd NIC on the NAS.

- Try connecting the NAS to another port on the switch/router.

- Try a different switch/router.

- Check the logs on the NAS

Can you also provide your network configuration (static or DHCP, JF on/off, make & model of switch/router, any bonding/teaming/failover settings, etc.)?

-Dave
dbott67
ReadyNAS Fanatic

ReadyNAS: Pro

Postby arnoldchoi » Sat Sep 12, 2009 1:08 pm

Could a failed drive (or failing drive?) be the cause of it?

I just checked your list, and nothing seemed to make a difference.
There's nothing mentioned in the logs.

I have a static IP, my router is an Apple Extreme. No bonding or teaming.

When the NAS drops, I can still access the internet and local stuff, so it's not the router or the computer.

If it's a failing drive, I will be replacing this shortly (waiting for it to arrive via mail). Hopefully that'll do the trick, but I wonder whether that could be the cause of these drops.

Thanks for your efforts!

Arnold
arnoldchoi
ReadyNAS Newbie

Postby arnoldchoi » Mon Sep 14, 2009 5:29 pm

Well, I just replaced the failed 500 GB drive with a 1 GB drive. The system detected the removal of the dead disk and the presence of the new one. However, the Volumes Manager keeps showing the "status" of the dead drive and its information. I don't know if I'm supposed to do anything, or whether the ReadyNAS automatically rebuilds the volume with the new drive. I couldn't tell, so I rebooted a couple times, with volume scanning and without and it still says that the system is "non-redundant".

Am I doing something wrong here? Is it doing something in the background that I'm not aware of? If so, perhaps there should be some log notification that says that it's doing something.

Any advice?

I am currently using X-RAID.

Thank you.

Arnold
arnoldchoi
ReadyNAS Newbie

Postby chirpa » Mon Sep 21, 2009 2:35 pm

If it is still occuring, I suggest you contact support.
chirpa
Jedi Council Alumni

ReadyNAS: Repertoire

Postby JeIlMa » Thu Sep 24, 2009 5:05 am

arnoldchoi wrote:Hello,

I am having a reoccuring problem with my ReadyNas Pro. It appears that after a certain period of time (seems random) that the ReadyNas Pro loses network connectivity from from local LAN and I am unable to access it (Frontview, Windows Explorer, Mac Finder, etc) for about 20-30 seconds. It then appears back on the network and all is well.

Arnold

You change drive... Did that help? I have similar problem on our ReadyNas Pro.

It has joined in to domain and everything seems to freeze time to time. Network maps from client drops mapped drive, Frontview freeze even ssh with putty freeze. It stays about that 20-30 seconds and works again. Not for long however...

Newest firmware installed. Could it be interface settings? We use these settings:
Enable Network Teaming/Failover support
Round-Robin Active

-JeIlMa
JeIlMa
ReadyNAS Newbie

Postby JeIlMa » Fri Sep 25, 2009 2:09 am

JeIlMa wrote:
arnoldchoi wrote:Hello,

Arnold

You change drive... Did that help? I have similar problem on our ReadyNas Pro.

It has joined in to domain and everything seems to freeze time to time. Network maps from client drops mapped drive, Frontview freeze even ssh with putty freeze. It stays about that 20-30 seconds and works again. Not for long however...

Newest firmware installed. Could it be interface settings? We use these settings:
Enable Network Teaming/Failover support
Round-Robin Active

-JeIlMa

Interfaces was configured to two diffrent routers. I just plug it to the same router and now it works.

If I want to use two routers (fault tolerant) which interface settings should I use?

-JeIlMa
JeIlMa
ReadyNAS Newbie

Postby Qinghong.he » Fri Sep 25, 2009 2:36 am

I suggest you ping the NAS IP address to check whether it reachable.
I have the same problem in my NAS, and at that time, all serviceshave been stopped, but I can PING NAS.

More information would help engineer find the root reason.
Qinghong.he
ReadyNAS Padawan

ReadyNAS: NVX

Postby DTschoolIT » Wed Nov 04, 2009 10:06 am

having the same problem, seems random. any fix for this?
will enabling teaming with failover help?
DTschoolIT
ReadyNAS Newbie

Postby DTschoolIT » Thu Nov 05, 2009 12:01 pm

update:

while the device was inaccessible, I unplugged the network cable from ethernet 1 and plugged it into ethernet 2 and my dhcp assigned a random ip and i could access everything.

i then plugged a second cable back into ethernet 1 and then the readynas was accessible from both ports.

ive left both plugged in using two different static ip addresses and have not enabled teaming with failover.

wondering what would cause this and if i should leave the new set up as is or enable team w/fail

Any thoughts?
DTschoolIT
ReadyNAS Newbie

Return to Performance