How to disable drive spin down on readynas duo v2

Please post questions regarding performance of the ReadyNAS here. (How to optimize the ReadyNAS performance)

How to disable drive spin down on readynas duo v2

Postby wasted.d » Thu Dec 08, 2011 2:26 pm

Hi guys, i previously owned a readynas duo v1 and had 2 Seagate Barracuda Green 2TB SATA 6Gb/s Hard Drives (ST2000DL003) and had no problems at all. Then i recently purchased the new Readynas duo v2 and 2 more of these harddrives. My problem is in the Duo v2 the drives keep spinning down after a few mins of no use and then when i try to access them via my windows 7 pc or my sony Tv / bluray player it takes up to 8 seconds for them to spin back up. I know 8 seconds may not seem like alot to some folks but after having the duo v1 which didnt do it i am finding it kinda anoying, mostly when copying files to an from the duo and using the DNLA server.
So i was wondering if there is a way to disable this feature in the duo v2?
Thanks in advance
wasted.d
ReadyNAS Newbie

ReadyNAS: Duo

Re: How to disable drive spin down on readynas duo v2

Postby wasted.d » Sat Dec 10, 2011 1:58 am

Anyone any ideas at all? surely someone knows?
wasted.d
ReadyNAS Newbie

Postby mdgm » Sat Dec 10, 2011 3:39 am

Disk spin-down is enabled by design. There is no option to disable this at this time.
Useful links: My ReadyNAS Gear|FAQ|Hardware Compatibility List|Docs: Setup Guide, Manual|Downloads|Unofficial Tips|GPL|MDGM on Twitter|MDGM's Unofficial Guides
NB: A ReadyNas is not an excuse not to have a backup. Fire, theft, multiple disk failures, other hardware failure, floods, user negligence etc. can all result in loss of data.
How we users can contact NETGEAR Technical Support | Australia: 1300 361 254 / Other Numbers|Online Submission
Unofficial Guide for Moving from Sparc ReadyNAS to x86 ReadyNAS|Using Gmail with the ReadyNAS|XRAID Volume Size Calculator
If you have found my website or help very useful, please consider a donation in USD or AUD
mdgm
ReadyNAS Enthusiast

ReadyNAS: RN516

Postby wasted.d » Sat Dec 10, 2011 1:14 pm

Ah, thanks. Ill just have to hope a ON/OFF ability is added in future firmware or someone does it via an addon.
wasted.d
ReadyNAS Newbie

Postby devhen » Mon Feb 20, 2012 5:37 pm

mdgm,

Is it safe to change the disk spin-down time with hdparm ?
devhen
ReadyNAS Newbie

ReadyNAS: Duo v2

Postby lynnsaunders » Sat Mar 10, 2012 1:17 pm

I want to make sure my email data is secure so it lives on the NAS drive as do most of the data I create. The problem is the delay to get at these files. The typical time to retrieve a file is about 15 seconds after some period of inactivity. I have spent about an hour this morning trying to find a solution at the netgear site and on the web. It looks like there is not a good solution. I think the drive spins down after some period of inactivity. The delay to get it spun up and happy is annoying if you have a customer on the phone and you are waiting 15 seconds to retrieve an email. I almost want to write a simple program that accesses a file every few minutes and let it run all day!! Surely there is a better solution.
lynnsaunders
ReadyNAS Newbie

Postby devhen » Sat Mar 10, 2012 6:14 pm

devhen
ReadyNAS Newbie

ReadyNAS: Duo v2

Postby evan » Sun Mar 11, 2012 10:29 pm

The next version RAIDiator will support spin down on/off in frontview.
evan
ReadyNAS Padawan

ReadyNAS: RN312

Postby mdgm » Sun Mar 11, 2012 11:09 pm

evan wrote:The next version RAIDiator will support spin down on/off in frontview.

Nice! Btw the web-interface of the ARM units is typically referred to as the Dashboard. Frontview is the name used for the old UI on Sparc/x86.
Useful links: My ReadyNAS Gear|FAQ|Hardware Compatibility List|Docs: Setup Guide, Manual|Downloads|Unofficial Tips|GPL|MDGM on Twitter|MDGM's Unofficial Guides
NB: A ReadyNas is not an excuse not to have a backup. Fire, theft, multiple disk failures, other hardware failure, floods, user negligence etc. can all result in loss of data.
How we users can contact NETGEAR Technical Support | Australia: 1300 361 254 / Other Numbers|Online Submission
Unofficial Guide for Moving from Sparc ReadyNAS to x86 ReadyNAS|Using Gmail with the ReadyNAS|XRAID Volume Size Calculator
If you have found my website or help very useful, please consider a donation in USD or AUD
mdgm
ReadyNAS Enthusiast

ReadyNAS: RN516

Return to Performance