Xbox 360 and UPNP AV, how?

Please post questions regarding SqueezeCenter, Home Media Streaming Server, UPnP AV services here.

Xbox 360 and UPNP AV, how?

Postby dash » Sat Dec 22, 2007 4:16 am

Hi guys,

I've got a brand new x360 Elite (assuming all those comes with the latest firmware, right?) and RAIDiator 4.00c1-p2 [1.00a037] on my NV+.

I have been unable to find a guide to get this streaming service working, but I assume I just have to enable UPNP AV, and point it to a share on the NV.
Then what? Where do I go on the xbox dashboard?
The thing is, when I check Network Settings - Test Media Connection, I get:

Network Adapter: Wired
IP Address: Confirmed
PC Selected: Failed

The network is obviously up and running, since xbox live gaming is working like a charm. The Live connection test is successful.

Am I missing something here? Barking at the wrong tree?
dash
ReadyNAS Newbie

ReadyNAS: NV+

HOWTO: Streaming to the XBOX 360

Postby richtoy » Sat Dec 22, 2007 12:30 pm

Hi

Updated to the new firmware today. All went well.

To stream to the XBOX 360

On the NAS: -
First setup UPnP AV on the NAS (front panel/services/streaming services)
Confirm its working from a PC

On the XBOX: -
1) Ensure you are using the latest dashboard.
2) Select the media tab from the dashboard
3) Select music/video/picture (whichever you want to view)
4) Choose X (change video source)
5) Choose the name that corresponds to your NAS
6) You should now see whatever you have stored on your NAS.

Works like a charm :D

NOTE: The XBOX does NOT see the NAS as a windows media center. That caught me out for a while too.... :roll:
richtoy
ReadyNAS Newbie

Postby dash » Sat Dec 22, 2007 12:44 pm

Hi richtoy,

Thanks a lot! I was looking at the wrong place, media connector tab. That one was working, but wasn't playing movies.
Now, it's working!

I can obviously play .avi files, but is there a way to convert/read/open .mkv x264 files? I tried renaming it, that didn't work.
More of an xbox issue of course, but maybe someone here knows :)

Edit: did some testing now, found an avi music video running 1080p. It's painful to see that the 360 cannot play this file, with its 3.2 GHz PPC Tri-Core Xenon CPU.... It appears to be almost the same performance as my laptop running one c2d 2.2. Amazing! Or should I say, embarrasing.
Or maybe a matter of bad driver/codec or......?
dash
ReadyNAS Newbie

Postby brokendynasty » Sun Dec 23, 2007 1:42 am

dash wrote:I can obviously play .avi files, but is there a way to convert/read/open .mkv x264 files? I tried renaming it, that didn't work.
More of an xbox issue of course, but maybe someone here knows :)

There is no native Xbox 360 support for .mkv files. You will either need to re-encode those video files, or setup a transcoding service on your computer to do it on the fly.
brokendynasty
Advanced ReadyNAS User

Postby dash » Sun Dec 23, 2007 5:44 am

brokendynasty wrote:There is no native Xbox 360 support for .mkv files. You will either need to re-encode those video files, or setup a transcoding service on your computer to do it on the fly.

Yeah, that makes sense.
Converting seems to be a hassle though, tried both VirtualDubMod and AllToAvi, they don't seem to play nice with Vista....
Please let me know if anyone's familliar with useful software.
dash
ReadyNAS Newbie

Postby brokendynasty » Sun Dec 23, 2007 3:44 pm

Sorry don't have Vista, and haven't used XP regularly for half a year or so. Handbrake is cross-platform and I use it to rip my DVDs but I do conversion in VisualHub. Handbrake may have some re-encoding options for source files that are not DVDs, you may want to check it out.
brokendynasty
Advanced ReadyNAS User

Postby dash » Sun Dec 23, 2007 3:53 pm

Handbrake looks very nice, and it seems to work perfectly in Vista too!
Unfortunately, it won't open mkv files..... :(

Anyway, maybe I'll just call it quits on this one. Even if I do find one that works, it looks like it's a veeeeery long process, transcoding mkv to avi. I don't thin it's worth the hassle. I can simply play the mkv file on my laptop, and use the LCD tv as a second monitor, using HDMI.
dash
ReadyNAS Newbie

Postby brokendynasty » Sun Dec 23, 2007 3:56 pm

Yes re-encoding takes time (up to 4x the length of the video I believe). I usually set mine up as a batch process of 3 or 4 files a night, and let it run while I sleep. Slowly but surely, all my files will be in the format I want =).

I'd wait as the Spring Update for the 360 dashboard isn't too far away and who knows what new codec support that will bring.
brokendynasty
Advanced ReadyNAS User

Postby dash » Sun Dec 23, 2007 4:00 pm

Oh, new update! Interesting.
Let's hope they open up for mkv then. It's not like it's a new format or anything.
However, I must say I was a bit surprised to see MS supporting divx/xvid, since those seem to be considered "pirate formats" :P
dash
ReadyNAS Newbie

Postby brokendynasty » Sun Dec 23, 2007 4:03 pm

Everyone was a bit shocked by that, but they got around it by opening it up to the AVI container (and any and all codecs used on it). Xbox 360 gets a a Spring and Fall Dashboard release every year (so far).
brokendynasty
Advanced ReadyNAS User

Postby dash » Sun Dec 23, 2007 4:06 pm

I still think mkv is a long shot, but who knows.
Streaming the avi files works like a charm now anyway, and I really appreciate your help!

Maybe the xbox/nas connection info should be in some FAQ somewhere? Or maybe I'm the only one who couldn't figure it out... ;)
dash
ReadyNAS Newbie

Postby brokendynasty » Sun Dec 23, 2007 4:10 pm

Nah, you aren't the only one. Questions about it pop-up every now and then. If I had more time I'd write a quick how-to but I don't think it would be worth the time energy, since most issues get posted in the forums first anyway =). Happy holidays.
brokendynasty
Advanced ReadyNAS User

Postby dash » Sun Dec 23, 2007 4:15 pm

Hehe, I thought I did some extensive searching.... Oh well.

Yeah, merry x-mas! It's officially x-mas eve here in Sweden right now! :)
dash
ReadyNAS Newbie

Postby brokendynasty » Sun Dec 23, 2007 4:19 pm

It's only 1:15PM on the 23rd here in Hawaii!
brokendynasty
Advanced ReadyNAS User

Postby 3DES » Wed Jan 02, 2008 5:52 pm

WOW!!! DIVX streamed to the 360!!!!!!!!! Excellent work on the media player services as well. I am ecstatic. 8)

Great freakin work guys!!!!
3DES
ReadyNAS Newbie

Next

Return to Streaming Services