Question: How to Copy/Install Files via SSH

Please post questions regarding SqueezeCenter, Home Media Streaming Server, UPnP AV services here.

Question: How to Copy/Install Files via SSH

Postby lstern » Thu Jun 12, 2008 9:50 am

I would like to replace Squeezecenter Transporter firmware 37 with firmware 42, the latter of which is only available with SC 7.1 builds. I am running SC 7.01 build that is compatible with my Netgear NAS but contains TP firmware 37.

If I were to download a Mac or PC version of SC & then access the appropriate Transporter firmware files, what would be the procedure for installing these files on my NAS at the root level using SSH.
I am sure there is a procedure for doing this and copying the files to the appropriate folder on the NAS but I have never accessed or manipulated files at the root level of my NAS.

I would really appreciate any feedback from someone with expertise. Thanks
lstern
ReadyNAS Newbie

Re: Question: How to Copy/Install Files via SSH

Postby Grievous » Thu Jun 12, 2008 4:32 pm

/usr/share/squeezecenter/Firmware/ is where it resides, however as this does require you ssh'ng into the box, I can only advise doing this if you already know what you're getting yourself into.

Separately from that, an easy way to copy things to the root volume, is to place them into a share, so you can just copy from that share to wherever you want as root.

Again, be careful with it(backups are always a must). If you really have no experience manipulating files in a linux or similar environment, I'd advise against it.
Grievous
Jedi Council

ReadyNAS: X6

Re: Question: How to Copy/Install Files via SSH

Postby lstern » Fri Jun 13, 2008 11:44 am

Thanks Grievous for your response. Is there any chance you could guide me through this procedure ??

I have copied 2 files from a PC version of SC to my desktop: Transporter_42.Bin & transporter.version. If I only knew how to "insert" these files into SC running on my NAS.
lstern
ReadyNAS Newbie

Return to Streaming Services