missing files and folders when streaming

Please post questions regarding SqueezeCenter, Home Media Streaming Server, UPnP AV services here.

Re: missing files and folders when streaming

Postby dillyhammer » Sun Sep 04, 2011 9:49 am

Upon further investigation, I got to this:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/minidlna/

That is the project upon which ReadyDLNA is based. Note that the project is being done by a Netgear employee.

If you have a look at the bug database, you'll see a few items in there that report issues very similar to what we're seeing. This appears to be a known issue. FWIW, as I have always felt, this seems to be a problem with the scanner itself.
dillyhammer
ReadyNAS Newbie

Postby dillyhammer » Sun Sep 04, 2011 1:20 pm

I've reinstalled TwonkyServer and purchased a license - about $21CAD. It's a bit of a bugger setting it up, but once that's done it does not have the folder problem live ReadyDLNA does - everything scans up just fine and it's pretty damn quick about it too.

Some notes for those who care to go this route, as a fix for the scanner issue doesn't seem imminent.

You'll need to install the enable-root-ssh add-on and ssh into your device. I have a share called "videos" with a folder called "videos" in it where all my stuff is stored. I was unable to get Twonky to scan that folder as it auto-prepends /c/media to any entry in the shares you add to the config interface. What I did was add a symlink in /c/media to /videos/videos and away it went.

Also, if you have very large files you may want to edit the Twonky config file. There's a setting there for the maximum scan time per file, which is defaulted to 30 (seconds). I've upped that to 120 and it seemed to have smoothed over the scans of my larger mkv files.

The config file is located at /var/twonkymedia/twonkymedia/twonkymedia-server.ini. You'll have to use vi, google for a vi cheat sheet if you're not familiar with it. A little painful, this whole process.

I've left ReadyDNLA disabled because it's useless.

Shame I had to spend $20+ to correct this, but what the heck. I needed a solution.

There you have it.

Mike
dillyhammer
ReadyNAS Newbie

Postby Zantar » Thu Nov 03, 2011 6:13 am

Thank you dillyhammer ! :)
I have been having the very same problems with my 4000NV+. I am tring to view my movies on my ipad using "ACEPlayer" (A good little ipad app that uses DLNA to stream and play all video formats direct from the NAS).

It takes sooo long to scan (though I do have 7500 music, 350 movies and 1000 tv shows) and it seems to stop and hang during its scan half way through my movies folder (in alphabetical order) and doesn't scan in any further movies or folders.

Using your very helpful post (a lot more helpful than Netgear tech support), I found that it was stopping on a MKV file (7 GB), though NOT the biggest file I have, 10 and 11 GB movies scanned in just fine.

My simple way of finding what file it got stuck on was by using the free "8player lite" iPhone app, which allow you to quickly view the DLNA library, find the last movie scanned in, and then finding the next movie from the network share on the PC (in alphabetical order).
Delete the offending MKV off the NAS. And then stopped and restarted DLNA.

Yes, it had to rescan the entire NAS again, :evil: took about 2 hours, but found all the rest of the movies and continued to find ALL my TV Show folders and episodes! :D

After it was completed, in my readyNAS frontview, under DLNA, I now have the "Rescan meda files" button available (always used to be grayed out while DLNA was running).

The very sad thing is because this is technically a currupted MKV file problem, Netgear may not bother fixing it. But it really can't be a difficult fix to simply have their scanner just skip over files it finds that it cant scan, instead of hanging indefinatly.
Zantar
ReadyNAS Newbie

ReadyNAS: NV+

Postby doughnut » Tue Nov 08, 2011 8:47 am

+1 come on Netgear, please fix this!!!
doughnut
ReadyNAS Newbie

ReadyNAS: Ultra

Postby mohare » Fri Feb 10, 2012 10:37 am

I have the same issue with Sony Bravia TV and ReadyNAS Duo (missing folders/files on streaming, but not missing via PC or on ReadyNAS). Anyone come up with a solution?
mohare
ReadyNAS Newbie

ReadyNAS: Duo v2

Postby rlyon » Sat Feb 25, 2012 4:28 pm

I just picked up a WDTV Live that I am streaming to and I am experiencing this same issue.
rlyon
ReadyNAS Newbie

Postby StephenB » Sat Feb 25, 2012 4:44 pm

rlyon wrote:I just picked up a WDTV Live that I am streaming to and I am experiencing this same issue.
The WDTV Live can also access the shares directly, avoiding any issues with DLNA
StephenB
ReadyNAS Maniac

ReadyNAS: Pro

Postby rlyon » Sat Feb 25, 2012 5:53 pm

StephenB wrote:
rlyon wrote:I just picked up a WDTV Live that I am streaming to and I am experiencing this same issue.
The WDTV Live can also access the shares directly, avoiding any issues with DLNA

I'd love to know how. I saw the 'media share' option and it sees my 'media' folder but when I click on it, the Live freezes. My media share options were samba/NFS I think, (new firmware they are windows/linux) but I can't get it to not freeze.

Are there steps to make this happen?
rlyon
ReadyNAS Newbie

Postby Rheumatoid » Tue Feb 28, 2012 2:44 am

same problem here on a variety of devices (Sony Bravia, Samsung Galaxy SII phone, HP touchpad). All seems to be since f/ware update. It seems ok with several folders full of thousands of photos but I only get a few music folders.

As it currently stands the ReadyNAS Duo I have is not fit for purpose and does not function as advertised. Can we have a fix ASAP please.

I have tried rescanning and stopping/starting the service with reboots to no avail.

Thanks

R.
Rheumatoid
ReadyNAS Newbie

ReadyNAS: Duo

Postby mdgm » Tue Feb 28, 2012 2:49 am

mdgm
NETGEAR ReadyNAS Technical Expert

ReadyNAS: RN516

Postby Rheumatoid » Tue Feb 28, 2012 3:29 am

installed and re-scanning. I'll let you know how it goes.
Rheumatoid
ReadyNAS Newbie

Postby Rheumatoid » Tue Feb 28, 2012 5:06 am

makes no difference. Also opened up all permissions for folders in my media folder. No improvement!
Rheumatoid
ReadyNAS Newbie

Postby mdgm » Tue Feb 28, 2012 5:11 am

If you download your logs (Status > Logs > Download all logs), extract the zip contents and look in upnp-av.log do you see any clues as to what the problem may be?
mdgm

Postby Rheumatoid » Tue Feb 28, 2012 5:24 am

seems to be a recurrence of quite a few no such directory errors then a strange signal 15 goodbye!

inotify.c:89: error: inotify_add_watch(/c/media/Default/Desktop) [No such file or directory]
[2012/02/28 12:09:49] inotify.c:89: error: inotify_add_watch(/c/media/Default/Documents) [No such file or directory]
[2012/02/28 12:09:49] inotify.c:89: error: inotify_add_watch(/c/media/Default/Downloads) [No such file or directory]
[2012/02/28 12:09:49] inotify.c:89: error: inotify_add_watch(/c/media/Default/Favorites) [No such file or directory]
[2012/02/28 12:09:49] inotify.c:89: error: inotify_add_watch(/c/media/Default/Links) [No such file or directory]
[2012/02/28 12:09:49] inotify.c:89: error: inotify_add_watch(/c/media/Default/Music) [No such file or directory]
[2012/02/28 12:09:49] inotify.c:89: error: inotify_add_watch(/c/media/Default/Pictures) [No such file or directory]
[2012/02/28 12:09:49] inotify.c:89: error: inotify_add_watch(/c/media/Default/Saved Games) [No such file or directory]
[2012/02/28 12:09:49] inotify.c:89: error: inotify_add_watch(/c/media/Default/Videos) [No such file or directory]
**A couple of personal named directories deleted here for posting**
[2012/02/28 12:11:23] minidlna.c:153: warn: received signal 15, good-bye
Rheumatoid
ReadyNAS Newbie

Postby mdgm » Tue Feb 28, 2012 5:27 am

Did those directories use to exist in there? Have you tried a rescan?
mdgm

PreviousNext

Return to Streaming Services