Definative List of Media Format Support by each NAS

Please post questions regarding SqueezeCenter, Home Media Streaming Server, UPnP AV services here.

Postby Mitch_g » Sun Apr 17, 2011 5:28 pm

Is there a location where the supported media file formats are listed per NAS model?

I have done a little browsing and may of missed the obvious, but I cannot find anything on the data sheets and specification pages for the models

thanks in advance
Mitch_g
ReadyNAS Newbie

Postby sphardy » Sun Apr 17, 2011 11:30 pm

If you are referring to the media supported by ReadyDLNA, then no - there is no documentation at all

NAS: Ultra-4, NV+ & Duo v2 :: ST31500341AS & HDS723020BLA642 Drives
Network: Netgear GS108Tv2 / DM111P :: Airport Extreme / Express & Time Capsule
Clients: OS X 10.6 - 10.8 :: Ubuntu 11.x :: Win 7 + SP#1
UPS: APC ES-550

sphardy
ReadyNAS Junkie

ReadyNAS: Ultra

Re: Definative List of Media Format Support by each NAS

Postby Mitch_g » Mon Apr 18, 2011 12:19 am

Thanks sphardy and yes, I was wanting to know media type supported by readyDLNA...

So the question is... how do you find out and suggestions ?

I did notice on one the home model Netgear Stora.... Netgear list this as DLNA certified and state the supported formats.

But the "Stora" is not listed on the DLNA.org list.. however ReadyNAS Pro, Ultra 2, 4, 6 and NVX are4 Ultra are listed on the DLNA.org site....

BUT I cannot find supported formats etc... and Netgear do not mention on any product material that I have seen on certification of the Ultra or NVX models

I've noticed a few threads but not sure if anyone has pulled anything together on this.... as a newbie, I would appreaciate any tips.
Mitch_g
ReadyNAS Newbie

Postby sphardy » Mon Apr 18, 2011 12:42 am

The issue is that ReadyDLNA supports far more formats than required for DLNA compliance. You can look up DLNA specific data on the DLNA.org site, but for other formats supported Netgear haven't deemed it necessary to publish that or any other documentation related to ReadyDLNA

ReadyDLNA is actually an open source project called minidlna which you can find on sourceforge. You could check the forum there though last time I looked such questions also tend to go unanswered

NAS: Ultra-4, NV+ & Duo v2 :: ST31500341AS & HDS723020BLA642 Drives
Network: Netgear GS108Tv2 / DM111P :: Airport Extreme / Express & Time Capsule
Clients: OS X 10.6 - 10.8 :: Ubuntu 11.x :: Win 7 + SP#1
UPS: APC ES-550

sphardy
ReadyNAS Junkie

ReadyNAS: Ultra

Re: Definative List of Media Format Support by each NAS

Postby mdgm » Mon Apr 18, 2011 12:51 am

The Stora is a completely separate product and not part of the ReadyNAS family. See the Stora Forum.

The ReadyNAS Pro, Ultra 2, Ultra 4, Ultra 6, NVX, are all x86 ReadyNAS. They have the same firmware and same ReadyDLNA. Apart from the NVX, all of those ReadyNAS are 64-bit. The DLNA support is improved over time.

The ReadyNAS uses the open-source MiniDLNA project. See http://minidlna.sourceforge.net/

Naturally MiniDLNA is included in the ReadyNAS GPL: http://www.readynas.com/gpl

The Stora also uses MiniDLNA (you can see the MS2110 (i.e. Stora) GPL at http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2649/). I would expect that any formats that work with the Stora would also work with the ReadyNAS.

You could well find that your DLNA player is what limits what media formats you can play, rather than ReadyDLNA.

Edit: beaten
mdgm
NETGEAR ReadyNAS Technical Expert

ReadyNAS: RN516

Return to Streaming Services