How do i? - only one box with write access others with read

Please post questions and issues pertaining to share access and file permission here.

How do i? - only one box with write access others with read

Postby cyrillsneer7 » Tue Jan 24, 2006 12:44 pm

I got my X6 last night, and how sweet it is!!

However i am a bit confused with the sharing options and was wondering if i can get some help.

What i would like to be able to do is let

Xboxmediacenter
Sonos system
Avel Linkplayer 2
friends laptops

be able to READ ONLY my media shares

Have my office PC be able to READ/WRITE/DELETE my media shares and my data backup folder.

The important bit - is that no one can see the Data backup at all - and that no one can delete anything from the media folder.

Any help would be great, also if there is a better way etc would be great.

Thanks
cyrillsneer7
ReadyNAS Newbie

Postby ewok » Tue Jan 24, 2006 3:34 pm

1. Decide which protocol each of your devices will use to connect to the NAS. Windows machines will typically use CIFS, Linux/Unix usually use NFS, etc.

2. Decide what the default allowed access will be for each protocol, i.e. no access, read-only access, or write-enabled access.

3. For each type of default access, decide which devices/users/groups will get more or less than the default access. For example, if a share has read-only default access for CIFS, you'll be able to specify who will get write-enabled access.

So it sounds like the media share should have a default access of read-only, with your office machine write-enabled. The data share should have Disabled access by default, with an exception for your office machine.

Let me know if you have any further questions.
ewok
Jedi Council

ReadyNAS: Pro

Postby cyrillsneer7 » Tue Jan 24, 2006 4:15 pm

Thank you so much for the reply, that what i had imagined i would do and basically what i have been trying to work out what to do, however i am not having any luck, i can't really work it out, normally i would just dive in, but considering i got ahead of myself and transferred 400gig of info over i am a bit scared of messing it up.

I know how to set the default, but not sure how to create rules to superscede the initial rule.

THanks again.
cyrillsneer7
ReadyNAS Newbie

Postby ewok » Tue Jan 24, 2006 4:22 pm

You can set up the default access exceptions in the "Share Access Restrictions" area directly under the Default Access dropdown.

This is also explained in the User Guide, available here:

http://www.infrant.com/download/UserGuide_V2.pdf
ewok
Jedi Council

Postby cyrillsneer7 » Tue Jan 24, 2006 4:44 pm

Arr - i thought i was being really dumb!!!

I had to change the security option to User rather than share
cyrillsneer7
ReadyNAS Newbie

Postby cyrillsneer7 » Thu Jan 26, 2006 9:25 pm

Right have been having a torrid time and have not really got any further, but here is where i am as of now.

So far I have;

Media Read only
Willbackup disabled
Malibackup disabled with read exception mali/users
Publicbackup read/write

I then login in with the admin accountant and get read/write with everything.

However when mali logs in trying to use her account she can access and view everything she should be able to but she cannot write to the malibackup folder.

Any help would be great am i so close.
cyrillsneer7
ReadyNAS Newbie

Postby cyrillsneer7 » Fri Jan 27, 2006 9:53 am

Right - last night i watched a movie so i knew that the media share at read only was ok, this morning i renamed the NAS box to NAServer so that it is more easily identifiable to the large number of people i have coming in and out of my apartment.

Now the sonos system and other media players are now saying they do not have permission to read the media share.

I checked the share permissions and they are all still the same, media streaming on and media share permission read only. I also rebooted everything to no avail.

This is starting to drive me up the wall, is it something really simple that i am missing or is it something majorly wrong.
cyrillsneer7
ReadyNAS Newbie

Postby ewok » Fri Jan 27, 2006 11:25 am

Are you able to mount the media share through your Windows boxes? Are your media players able to see the NAS at all?
ewok
Jedi Council

Postby cyrillsneer7 » Fri Jan 27, 2006 11:55 am

yes and yes
cyrillsneer7
ReadyNAS Newbie

Postby ewok » Fri Jan 27, 2006 1:00 pm

If a Windows box can access the share without any problems, that suggests the problem may be with Sonos. I'm not very familiar with the Sonos device, but you may want to contact their support department or browse their forums to see if anyone else has had a similar issue.

I can provide some more suggestions if you could describe how the Sonos is set up. It appears that the Sonos controller software on your Windows machine streams the content, correct? And that the Windows machine mounts the NAS?
ewok
Jedi Council

Postby cyrillsneer7 » Fri Jan 27, 2006 1:26 pm

Its strange though that my xbox is doing the same thing:

It can see all the shares but wants a username and password to access them.

The Avellinkplayer is fine.

The sonos can see it but it doesn't have permission to access it, like the xbox.

Mali's mac can see it and access the folders once i enter a login and password but she has no write access to the public folder or the Malibackup folder.

All these make me think it is not the sonos.

Especially considering the sonos was working fine until i started using exception rules.
cyrillsneer7
ReadyNAS Newbie

Postby edwin2005 » Fri Jan 27, 2006 1:35 pm

can it be as simple as the full user name with windows is:

\\boxname\user

if you change the boxname then the full username is changing. perhaps the sonos has a problem with that. IS it possible to "reset" the sonos?
edwin2005
ReadyNAS Expert

Postby ewok » Fri Jan 27, 2006 1:41 pm

If the NAS is set to User security mode, then the devices that access the NAS shares directly through CIFS are going to need a username and password to access the share. This, by definition, is the behavior in User mode. The Linkplayer accesses the media share through a separate server.

What protocol is mali using to access the Malibackup and Public Backup shares? Please describe in detail the user restriction setup for each of these protocols using the language used in Frontview (to avoid confusion).
ewok
Jedi Council

Postby cyrillsneer7 » Fri Jan 27, 2006 2:06 pm

For malibackup

I have AFP enabled and in the share options;

Everything is disabled apart from exceptions in the MAC tab (mali has two macs)

I have the following:

Read only users: mali
Read only groups: users
Write only users: mali
Write enabled groups: users

For publicbackup, i have

MAC and CIFS read and write enabled for both

I can mount the drives in my windows box - by windows does not seem to be able to auto login, I have to manually do every time I reboot.

The Avel Linkplayer is fine sees it and can access the files.

The sonos can see it but says it doesn’t have permission

The xbox can see; Public, Malibackup and Media but asks for a username and password to enter any of them.
cyrillsneer7
ReadyNAS Newbie

Postby ewok » Fri Jan 27, 2006 3:29 pm

cyrillsneer7 wrote:For malibackup

I have AFP enabled and in the share options;

Everything is disabled apart from exceptions in the MAC tab (mali has two macs)

I have the following:

Read only users: mali
Read only groups: users
Write only users: mali
Write enabled groups: users

Try removing mali from the read-only list. Users on that list will have read-only access, which is not what you want.

cyrillsneer7 wrote:For publicbackup, i have

MAC and CIFS read and write enabled for both

I can mount the drives in my windows box - by windows does not seem to be able to auto login, I have to manually do every time I reboot.

Windows will only auto-login when your username/password combination in Windows matches the username/password used to mount the share.

Please be specific with how user mali is unable to write to the public backup share. Can the user create new files? Overwrite old files?

cyrillsneer7 wrote:The Avel Linkplayer is fine sees it and can access the files.

The sonos can see it but says it doesn’t have permission

The xbox can see; Public, Malibackup and Media but asks for a username and password to enter any of them.

This is correct. In User security mode, all access to the shares will require a username and password.
ewok
Jedi Council

Next

Return to Share Access and File Permission