'Logon failure: account currently disabled' - NOW SOLVED!!!!

Please post questions and issues pertaining to share access and file permission here.

Re: 'Logon failure: account currently disabled' - NOW SOLVED!!!!

Postby ovilla675 » Thu Jul 09, 2009 8:03 pm

Yes.... I saw the same behavior in my configuration and your workaround save this fat guy from a heart attack!

Thanks!
ovilla675
ReadyNAS Newbie

Re: 'Logon failure: account currently disabled' - why?

Postby Trial_Master » Mon Jul 13, 2009 4:52 am

dbott67 wrote:Also, you may want to try this command as well to flush the name resolution cache:

Code: Select all
C:\Documents and Settings\dbott>nbtstat -R
    Successful purge and preload of the NBT Remote Cache Name Table.

C:\Documents and Settings\dbott>

Ah you guys saved me from pulling my hair out after many hours this evening. I just got my NAS today and I've been having the same issue as first poster. All sorted now. Thank you, thank you.
Trial_Master
ReadyNAS Expert

ReadyNAS: NVX

Postby CenterJarod » Mon Aug 24, 2009 12:07 am

Ditto - thanks to all on this thread, I would never have guessed this bizarre error.

For posterity, my problem had a slightly different wrinkle: my media centre PC existed before my ReadyNAS Duo, and it had a name of 'HTPC' and the user I'd defined for the HTPC to use for everyone was 'Media'. You can see where this is going...

Yes, the default media share name on the Duo is 'media'. So while all other PCs on my network could connect to the Duo fine, the HTPC couldn't. (HTPC is running Vista Home Premium, by the way.)

I didn't want to rename the share name, so I renamed the user name on the media centre instead, and cleared the remote name cache with the 'nbtstat -R' command, but this didn't work.

Until I tried to map a drive (up until this point I'd been using plain UNC in Explorer) and clicked on the 'connect using a different user name' link. That was where I saw the little message "By default, you will connect to the network folder as HTPC/Media".

So even though I'd renamed the user account on the PC (using Control Panel > User Accounts) this had obviously only changed the display name. Unfortunately Vista Home Premium doesn't have access to 'Local Users and Groups' snap-in to change the account name, but I found a wee back door. Running "control userpasswords2" from command prompt meant I could select the user, click on Properties, then change the user name (by the way, sure enough, this screen made it obvious that only the display name had been changed by my previous efforts).

After this, magically I could connect to the Duo from HTPC again. In light of this, I definitely think this is worth a warning somewhere, especially for media centre users, if the ReadyNAS comes with a share name(s) pre-defined that will prevent some people (media centre users!) from connecting at all.

CJ
CenterJarod
ReadyNAS User

Postby stevehwuk » Sat Aug 29, 2009 7:04 am

Hello,

1st post and its a thanks!

Suffering same problem here XP machine called Steve with a user account called Stephen.

Readynas Duo new yesterday so used the wizard to setup and create a share called Stephen (seemed reasonable!) and it worked fine yesterday. Picked up new firm ware and seemed ok. POwered down last night and auto power up this morning and now account disabled.

Renamed as suggested and all well! Phew thanks!

Seems odd quirk to have issue with share name conflicting to PC account name, but hey what do I know.

Thanks to the forum for fixing this.

Cheers

Steve
2 day old nas user.
stevehwuk
ReadyNAS Newbie

ReadyNAS: Duo

Postby noelb » Sun Dec 13, 2009 3:49 pm

Wow after much googling for hours I finally found this. This is exactly the problem I had.
I have several machines with different Windows operating systems on my network. Two machines (one running XP and one Vista ultimate X64) failed to connect to the shares or even be able to see them. After trying everything I found this thread.

I can't believe that you cannot create a share with the same name as a Windows user name. This needs to be spelled out in BOLD in the documentation or even a readme first note in the box!
I would venture a guess that it is VERY common for people to use their first names as user names, and subsequently have a share on their network with the same name. This was blocking two computers from seeing the shares!
I'm an experienced network user and software engineer and if it took me this long to figure out I suspect most end users would never understand how to troubleshoot this and simply return the unit.

Thanks for posting this note!!
noelb
ReadyNAS Newbie

Postby noelb » Sun Dec 13, 2009 3:56 pm

ewok wrote:Frontview should prevent you from creating a user with the same name as a share (and vice versa). What steps did you take to reproduce this problem?

Even if Frontview prevented doing this it isn't a solution. There is nothing that prevents a user from adding a new user or adding a new machine to the network later that has a duplicate name on the network to an existing share. This is exactly what bit me. Adding a new user to the external network shouldn't break the NAS shares!
This really needs to be fixed.
noelb
ReadyNAS Newbie

Postby critt001 » Mon Feb 01, 2010 7:49 am

I posted an issue here: http://www.readynas.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=22947

but it got no traction...

Same issue for me - "NOW SOLVED!!!!" is NOT working for me. I'm happy to create a user via FrontView that mimics the user settings on my laptop - but when I try to do this, FrontView says "User with this name already exists" - but the list of accounts is blank - no users! Is there a way to reset the admin USER NAME? (not Password...) if I match the admin username to "critt001" and pw to the pw on my laptop - then would that work?

Any help appreciated.
critt001
ReadyNAS Newbie

Postby ewok » Mon Feb 01, 2010 4:41 pm

Make sure that the name of your new user is not the same as that of an existing share.
ewok
Jedi Council

ReadyNAS: Pro

Postby critt001 » Wed Feb 03, 2010 5:06 am

Ewok - Thanks for the reply...Check...only shares are Backup, Docs, Media, and Photos (created before I realized there's a 'Photos' in Media)... No shares with usernames and no usernames in user/group accounts...none. Yet when I try to create a username/pw to match the username/pw I use to log into work laptop...Frontview tells me there's already a user by that name in the system....grrrr

Along the way I figured out how to go direct to shares via IP address..but the upload and file structure is clunky...I'd much rather have the ability (I once had!!!???) to copy/paste/create files as other Windows windows work...

...to be continued...
critt001
ReadyNAS Newbie

Postby ewok » Thu Feb 04, 2010 5:00 pm

What is the name of the user you're trying to create? If you want to access the share with drag and drop, use CIFS or WebDAV.
ewok
Jedi Council

Postby critt001 » Fri Feb 05, 2010 4:56 am

The name of user I'd like to create is 'critt001', same as work computer - and I'd match pw, as well. But when I try to create critt001, Frontview says there's already a user by that name...

As for CIFS/WebDAV - you lost me...not familiar, but could always learn. It's confounding that the functionality I desire was present when I installed the Duo - and the functionality I desire is present on my home desktop. Just not from work computer - thus I think it's a FrontView permissions issue and would love to find a way to completely clear all account information (even though there are no accounts) - without having to restore to factory defaults...

Thanks for your ongoing help...
critt001
ReadyNAS Newbie

Postby dbott67 » Sat Feb 06, 2010 9:02 am

critt001 wrote:The name of user I'd like to create is 'critt001', same as work computer - and I'd match pw, as well. But when I try to create critt001, Frontview says there's already a user by that name...

Do you have a share called 'critt001'?

Can you have a look at this document under the "Configuration" section:

http://home.bott.ca/webserver/?p=346
dbott67
ReadyNAS Fanatic

Postby critt001 » Sat Feb 06, 2010 9:33 am

Thanks Bott...
Regarding your link:
3.User Accounts on the NAS: You should create a user account for each user that requires access to the ReadyNAS. Usernames must be unique and cannot be the same as any share or computername on the NAS or network.
***There are no user-named shares on the Duo. There are also no user accounts (other than 'admin').
4.User Accounts in Windows: In order to provide seamless/transparent access from Windows to the ReadyNAS, it is recommended that your Windows Login Account be the same as your ReadyNAS User Account (same username and password). This way, when the NAS challenges Windows for credentials, Windows will send the current username and password to the NAS for authentication and the user will have the appropriate level of access that has been granted. It is also recommended that you not login to Windows using an account called “admin”, as this may create problems when connecting to the NAS.
***I'm happy to do this - but I it worked without any user accounts previously from this laptop - and it works without a user account from my home desktop, too. Additionally -- I'd love to create a username 'critt001' but am prevented from doing so by FrontView.

I've thought of removing ReadyNAS Remote from my laptop and de-installing it from the Duo and see if that has anything to do with it. I started with a ReadyNAS Remote username of 'critt001', but when it too stopped working I deleted 'critt001' and went with another username.

I appreciate everyone's help.
critt001
ReadyNAS Newbie

Postby critt001 » Mon Feb 15, 2010 3:16 pm

All,

No changes - after many reboots of both workstation and duo, still no joy. I've also removed ReadyNAS Remote client from the duo and the app from the laptop in question. Still, when I try to create a new user account to match the laptop's logon, I still get the 'user exists' block from FrontView (even though there are no user accounts listed...none).

I'd even consider changing my laptop password (which is tied to my enterprise's active directory/LDAP listing, affecting many other work-based apps)...but this doesn't seem to solve the username issue.

Any other ideas?

Many thanks.
critt001
ReadyNAS Newbie

Postby CenterJarod » Tue Feb 16, 2010 12:01 am

critt001 wrote:Any other ideas?

I don't have any technical basis for making these suggestions, except that you now seem to be in that 'try anything' state, so these are left-field waaaaay-outside-the-box thoughts:
- is there any PC or laptop on your network with a name of 'critt001'? (Not username, I'm thinking perhaps a computer name could be causing the same problem?)
- in case you're logged-in as 'critt001' on Windows when creating the same username with Frontview, is it worth creating a temp user on Windows and then try creating the Frontview account when logged in with this temp Windows access?
- otherwise, Frontview Remote seems to be the most likely channel to investigate, since you mentioned you'd tried creating the same user once successfully - maybe there is a 'remnant' somewhere?
- re-flashing RAIDiator might help?

CJ
CenterJarod
ReadyNAS User

PreviousNext

Return to Share Access and File Permission