Since I posted my inital message, I have also found that the timestamp for modified files are now recorded successfully. These include the ones that were having problems earlier. In one case, the modified date stuck at 11-19-2005 even though I kept changing it by adding blank lines to it and saving it 2 days ago. Today, when I added another blank line, saved it, and the date changed correctly to today's date. Having said that, I can still confirm that the problem did exist because I still have files that I modifed within the last 3 days but their modified dates are still in January 2006 or older. In fact, their modified dates matched the one in the original folder from which they were copied, even though the contents had changed.
Apart from the date issue which is now apprarently fixed, the "A" attribute indicating the file has changed is still not being set.
Before I posted my original message, I rebooted the device and that did not fix the problem initially. I also checked the date and time on the device and it was in-sync with my domain server. Since then, I had not rebooted the device but I did reboot my workstation and my server.
I did not use drag and drop as I was moving the entire share from the Domain server. Instead, I right clicked on the source folder and selected COPY and then I right clicked on the nv share and selected PASTE. The share currently has over 20GB of data with over 130000 files and 7000 folders.