iSCSI resets on large file copy

Please post questions and issues pertaining to share access and file permission here.

iSCSI resets on large file copy

Postby 10Water » Tue Mar 10, 2009 9:07 am

When copying a large file (> 4GB, drag & drop in Windows Explorer on a Win2K3 EE server) from a CIFS volume on the ReadyNAS Pro to an iSCSI target on the ReadyNAS, the copy stops with a Windows error "The specified network name is not longer available". System log in the Windows event viewer has the following errors:

Disk: event ID 51 "An error was detected on device \Device\Harddisk4 during a paging operation."
iScsiPrt: event ID 7: "The initiator could not send an iSCSI PDU. Error status is given in the dump data."
iScsiPRT: event ID 34: "A connection to the target was lost, but Initiator successfully reconnected to the target. Dump data contains the target name."
ntfs: event id 50 "{Delayed Write Failed} Windows was unable to save all the data for the file . The data has been lost. This error may be caused by a failure of your computer hardware or network connection. Please try to save this file elsewhere."
Application Popup: event id 26: "Application popup: Windows - Delayed Write Failed : Windows was unable to save all the data for the file I:\filepath. The data has been lost. This error may be caused by a failure of your computer hardware or network connection. Please try to save this file elsewhere. " and event id 50 "{Delayed Write Failed} Windows was unable to save all the data for the file . The data has been lost. This error may be caused by a failure of your computer hardware or network connection. Please try to save this file elsewhere."

The system log from the ReadyNAS shows this error:

Mar 10 11:10:26 cuba kernel: iscsi_trgt: Logical Unit Reset (05) issued on tid:1 lun:0 by sid:2533275713208384 (Function Complete)

Network is GigE through a Dell PowerConnect 2724. Jumbo frames are OFF.

Any ideas why this happens?

ReadyNAS Pro 4 x 1TB Barracudas in X-RAID2 array, RAIDiator 4.2.3, 1 GB RAM
10Water
ReadyNAS Newbie

Re: iSCSI resets on large file copy

Postby ewok » Tue Mar 10, 2009 10:11 am

Does this happen consistently?

How is the iSCSI device partitioned and formatted?

Have you tried files that are slightly less than 4GB in size, and if so, does it work or fail?
ewok
Jedi Council

ReadyNAS: Pro

Postby 10Water » Tue Mar 10, 2009 11:06 am

Yes, it happens every time. The iSCSI device is a single partition formatted as NTFS. I've tried a 2 GB file that seems to work (tiny files are no problem) but a 4.5 GB and 16GB file always fail.
10Water
ReadyNAS Newbie

Postby 10Water » Tue Mar 10, 2009 1:48 pm

Update: I tried to move the 16 GB file with FTP, same problem, same errors in the Event Viewer. I'm trying to run some large VMs from the iSCSI device.

Thanks for your help.
10Water
ReadyNAS Newbie

Postby ewok » Wed Mar 11, 2009 9:57 am

Please reproduce the problem over FTP and iSCSI noting the time and date that the issue appeared, then use the info in my sig to send me the logs. Be sure to include the issue time and date in the email so I can reference it in your logs.
ewok
Jedi Council

Postby 10Water » Wed Mar 11, 2009 2:40 pm

Just sent logs to NSBU@netgear.com showing error for both drag & drop and FTP.

Thanks for any help, I really need to get this to work!
10Water
ReadyNAS Newbie

Postby ewok » Thu Mar 12, 2009 10:23 am

Thanks for the logs. From the log message, it looks like the initiator may have called for a device reset, though there's no indication of why it might have done so. One thing you can try is directly connecting the NAS to the PC and eliminate any network effects. It's possible that a network hiccup could cause the initiator to think the connection was lost and issue a reset.
ewok
Jedi Council

Return to Share Access and File Permission