Nas very slow to show pictures in Vista

Please post questions and issues pertaining to share access and file permission here.

Nas very slow to show pictures in Vista

Postby kema » Wed May 27, 2009 1:33 pm

Hi all. After a long time I did convinced my wife that we couldn’t live without a Ready nas duo, because we then could share all our pictures on all our pc’s.

But here is the problem my wife are running Vista and it takes forever to show the picture-icons in large size, so now I’m not the most popular person in the house, she actually can not use it it’s to slow. Is there any reason why it’s so slow in vista? I’m using XP and it is almost the same speed as it is on my local drives. She has 2,16 GHz and 4 GB ram. Are there anything blocking in vista I could turn of to make it faster?
Please help I’m gonna sleep on the couch until this issue is fixed.
:(
kema
ReadyNAS User

Re: Nas very slow to show pictures in Vista

Postby ewok » Thu May 28, 2009 9:37 am

What are you using to see these icons, Explorer? How big are the pictures, and how many are there? Is the NAS being used for anything else at the same time?
ewok
Jedi Council

ReadyNAS: Pro

Postby kema » Thu May 28, 2009 1:24 pm

Okay…..
This is what I have done. I had connected to a network drive (NAS) so the drive is shown in my computer. I don’t know what you would call it in English, but if you open a drive containing only picture files you can choose to show a little preview of all the pictures so you can see what picture you are about to open, and here lies my problem it takes forever to show those small pictures on wife’s computer (vista) and 2 sec. on mine (xp). The NAS are not being used when I try this out. It could be 20 pictures or so! And I guess that our two computers should open those small pics in the same amount of time, because it’s our home. I hope this is a better explanation.
kema
ReadyNAS User

Postby ewok » Fri May 29, 2009 10:57 am

Is the Vista PC showing any other performance problems in regards to the NAS? Are file transfers as fast between the XP box and NAS and the Vista box and NAS?
ewok
Jedi Council

Postby illusion » Sat May 30, 2009 1:09 am

I'm experiencing the same problem, I use Vista only on a laptop and accessing all folders on my ReadyNas Duo takes ages. Doesn't matter is it contains pictures or files. I use the windows explorer to access them.

Other laptops, playstations and pc's have no problem at all.

Anyone have a solutions for this? Or perhaps there's a fix available?
illusion
ReadyNAS Newbie

ReadyNAS: Duo

Postby ewok » Mon Jun 01, 2009 1:43 pm

illusion wrote:I'm experiencing the same problem, I use Vista only on a laptop and accessing all folders on my ReadyNas Duo takes ages. Doesn't matter is it contains pictures or files. I use the windows explorer to access them.

Other laptops, playstations and pc's have no problem at all.

Anyone have a solutions for this? Or perhaps there's a fix available?

How is the speed when you use a file listing instead of an icon-based display of the contents of the folder? Approximately how long does it take and how many items are in the folder?
ewok
Jedi Council

Postby marble » Tue Jun 02, 2009 4:52 am

I noticed the same issue. I have Vista on my Laptop and it occurred to me that it might be something to do with the fact that the Laptop was connected via WLAN. I plugged in an ethernet cable and that improved matters slightly but not to the point where Vista was the same as my XP desktop. I can't watch a movie resident on the NAS from Vista but I can from XP. Music plays but is jumpy on Vista but plays fine on XP.

I don't have Gigabit on my router/switch, only 100mb.
marble
ReadyNAS Newbie

Postby ewok » Tue Jun 02, 2009 10:33 am

marble wrote:I noticed the same issue. I have Vista on my Laptop and it occurred to me that it might be something to do with the fact that the Laptop was connected via WLAN. I plugged in an ethernet cable and that improved matters slightly but not to the point where Vista was the same as my XP desktop. I can't watch a movie resident on the NAS from Vista but I can from XP. Music plays but is jumpy on Vista but plays fine on XP.

I'd suggest contacting support about this issue. It sounds like there may be something about Vista causing high latency.
ewok
Jedi Council

Postby captainhaddock » Tue Jun 09, 2009 3:09 pm

I have also had similar problems with Vista (atrocious network implementation by Micro$oft). There are lots of threads by people having similar problems elsewhere in this forum.

I managed to make a significant improvement to vista access performance to my ReadyNas (for both photo thumbnail and regular file access) by changing the MTU on my vista laptop to 1460. (Don't ask why that number but 1492 didnt make any difference) I can now use my ReadyNAS under Vista.

I do not have a problem if the Vista laptop is hard wired to my dg834g router, only on the wireless connection. I have also (bought specifically for the purpose and ) tried a new netgear WN111 usb wireless adapter and disabled my onboard Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 3945ABG adapter. It made no difference.

I do not have these problems using the WN111 on XP or Windows 2000.

I found this thread http://www.readynas.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=21566&p=158202&hilit=vistaMTU#p158202 helpful in changing the MTU.
captainhaddock
ReadyNAS Newbie

Postby aleath » Sat Jun 13, 2009 9:33 pm

captainhaddock wrote:I have also had similar problems with Vista (atrocious network implementation by Micro$oft). There are lots of threads by people having similar problems elsewhere in this forum.

I managed to make a significant improvement to vista access performance to my ReadyNas (for both photo thumbnail and regular file access) by changing the MTU on my vista laptop to 1460. (Don't ask why that number but 1492 didnt make any difference) I can now use my ReadyNAS under Vista.

I do not have a problem if the Vista laptop is hard wired to my dg834g router, only on the wireless connection. I have also (bought specifically for the purpose and ) tried a new netgear WN111 usb wireless adapter and disabled my onboard Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 3945ABG adapter. It made no difference.

I do not have these problems using the WN111 on XP or Windows 2000.

I found this thread http://www.readynas.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=21566&p=158202&hilit=vistaMTU#p158202 helpful in changing the MTU.

I've got news for you - it's not due to atrocious network implemation by microsoft (granted Vista isn't stellar...). It is however caused by atrocious product development and support by Netgear. I am having the same problems described by everyone else in this forum with Windows Vista and a Netgear Duo.

I too changed the MTU settings on my Vista laptop - read and write speeds improved, but a backup of 5 gigs of data stops halfway through (reference this: viewtopic.php?f=21&t=28324&hilit=vista). Unacceptable! I have an old computer that I installed Fedora (linux - freely available) and enabled SAMBA (provides the same functionality as the Duo for file sharing). With the MTU set on 1500, I do not experience any of the problems with the server I built that I do with the Duo, and the read write speeds are around 2-4MB/s. On the Duo with the MTU on 1500, I'm lucky to get read speeds over 4k/second, write speeds around 1-2MB/s sometimes.

So... the router is not the problem, the laptop is able to read and write to another linux based NAS (my personally built linux server), wireless is not the problem.

Anyone see where this is pointing? The Netgear Duo! This is Netgear's problem, these patch work solutions to Vista (changing MTU, disabling sidebar, increasing throttle in registry from 10 to 70, etc) is completely unacceptable. Someone purchases a product such as the Duo to plug it in and expect it to work, not to tweak it until it is "acceptable". If I wanted something to tweak, I would have decided to use the linux server I built instead of purchasing the Duo. But guess what, the home server is actually usable with Vista, does not time out, and requires no tweaking!

Unacceptable.
aleath
ReadyNAS Newbie

Postby aleath » Sun Jun 14, 2009 1:00 pm

ewok wrote:
marble wrote:I noticed the same issue. I have Vista on my Laptop and it occurred to me that it might be something to do with the fact that the Laptop was connected via WLAN. I plugged in an ethernet cable and that improved matters slightly but not to the point where Vista was the same as my XP desktop. I can't watch a movie resident on the NAS from Vista but I can from XP. Music plays but is jumpy on Vista but plays fine on XP.

I'd suggest contacting support about this issue. It sounds like there may be something about Vista causing high latency.

That's humorous. This is an ongoing problem. Support already knows about it (post from Mon Sep 22 2008): "With the amount of Vista issues on the forum, we are putting out a questionnaire here to get more information on the setups to get get a grasp of what is happening. Based on user feedback over the last several months, we've also updated the questionnaire with some possible solutions as well that you can easily try out." (Source: viewtopic.php?f=21&t=21566). So it has been ongoing for at least 9 months, the post mentions even longer than that. Support knows about it, don't bother contacting them they cannot or more likely will not do anything.

I have the same problem. It is related to the ReadyNas. I can access the ReadyNas with XP just fine, but with Vista (wired and wireless) I cannot read files at much greater than 4k/sec. I can read files at 2.8MB/s (22Mbps) on my homebuilt linux server using Vista and XP.

Other users have been experiencing the same problems: viewtopic.php?f=21&t=21566.

Perhaps you should consult the other moderator by the name of Chewbacca who is the author of the post mentioned above. Fix this problem or put a limitation/notation on the Netgear box, sales pages on the internet, marketing materials, etc that says "ReadyNAS Duo is not compatible with Windows Vista."
aleath
ReadyNAS Newbie

Postby kema » Tue Aug 25, 2009 12:56 pm

Hey just wanted to tell you guys that changeing the MTU in VIsta made a big diference, my duo is running faster now on my vista than it ever did on my xp machine. so thanks for the help
kema
ReadyNAS User

Postby russgreen » Wed Aug 26, 2009 1:48 pm

I'm not convinced....ive tried changing my MTU on vista (couldn't access share at all prior to that) but I'm really unhappy with performance of the connection (Duo to Vista)....I keep loosing sight of my shares.....no issues with my XP laptop and Netgear support says its my laptop harddware.....load of crap I say as I've had my laptop reading and writing other network shares just fine over the last few years.....duo needs a new firmware to fix the issues it has.

NAS 1: ReadyNAS Duo [X-RAID] : 256 MB RAM : 2 x 1000 GB Seagate ST31000528AS : RAIDiator 4.1.8
Router: BT Home Hub 3
Switch: Netgear GS605v3 : ReadyNAS and Dekstop have gigabit connection via switch. Switch connected to Router via Powerline. All other devices connect wirelessly via router.
Desktop: W7 Home Premium 64bit : 2 x 3,1GHz i3: 8GB RAM
MCE: W7 Home Premium 64bit : 2 x 1.6GHz Atom 330 : 4GB RAM
Laptop 1: W7 Home Premium 32bit : 2 x 1.6GHz : 2GB RAM
Laptop 2: XP home SP3: FujitsuSiemens Amillo : Ralink RT2500 Wireless LAN Card : VIA Campatible Ethernet Adapter
russgreen
ReadyNAS Newbie

Return to Share Access and File Permission