Installing the FrontView certificate in W7 Pro 64Bit

Please post questions and issues pertaining to share access and file permission here.

Installing the FrontView certificate in W7 Pro 64Bit

Postby bsevans » Thu Mar 11, 2010 7:14 am

I just did a clean install of Windows 7 Pro 64 Bit. Access to the data on the network ReadyNAS Duo works fine without any issues. However, when I attempt to access the IP address for FrontView in IE8 I get a certificate error. When I click on "Certificate Error" and "View certificates" the certificate pops up and the action buttons on all three tabs are grayed out. There is no install certificate button. The issued to and issued by are the same IP address as is the Certificate path. Under Certificate Status is this statement "This CA Root certificate is not trusted because it is not in the Trusted Root Certification Authorities store." Well I'll be honest about the fact that I have spent more hours trying to figure out how to do this than I'm willing to admit. I've generated more certificate keys than someone should be allowed to do. And yes, every time I generate a new key I have to click on install on my other XP Pro PCs. If only there was an install button on the certificate splash screen like there is on my XP PCs. Can someone please tell me how to obtain the certificate I generated and then install it in the "Trusted Root Certification Authorities store". Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.
Info:
Hostname:Netgear
Model:ReadyNAS Duo [X-RAID]
Serial:1VB386RY0026A
Firmware:RAIDiator 4.1.6 [1.00a043]
Memory:1024 MB [2.5-3-3-7]
IP address:192.168.0.69
Volume C: Online, X-RAID, 2 disks, 16% of 461 GB used
bsevans
ReadyNAS Newbie

ReadyNAS: Duo

Re: Installing the FrontView certificate in W7 Pro 64Bit

Postby spiderman » Fri Mar 12, 2010 3:21 am

When I used IE7 or Windows Vista, I get security warning. How to get rid of this?
ReadyNAS uses self-signed certificate. IE7 or Windows Vista will not trust this certificate unless you explicitly import this certificate by yourself. Below is brief procedure to import certificate.

This is from the ReadyNas Faq:

1. First, examine the certificate. (Left click on "Certificate Error" in address bar, and click "View Certificate".) If the certificates "Issued to:" and current IP is different, navigate FrontView/Services/Standard_FIle_protocol. Under "HTTPS" service, there is "Generate new key" button. Specify "SSL key host" match with your ReadyNAS' IP, and click "Generate" button. And exit IE7 (to flush cache), and connect to FrontView again.
2. Then install certificate into IE7. Left click on "Certificate Error" in address bar of IE7, and click "View Certificate". There is "Install Certificate.." button. Click this button to start "Certificate Import Wizard", so follow Wizard to install certificate.
3. Once certificate is installed properly, you will not be warned.
NAS Product 1: ReadyNAS Pro 6 8192 MB [6-6-6-18 DDR2]
RAIDiator Version: RAIDiator-x86 Version: 4.2.25
RAID Configuration: RAID Level X-RAID (Single Redundancy)
Hard Disk Brand, Model, Capacity & Number: Seagate ST31000524NS 1TB x 6
ReadyNAS Security Mode: User

NAS Product 2: ReadyNAS Pro 3968 MB [4-5-5-15 DDR2]
RAIDiator Version: RAIDiator-x86 Version: 6.1.5
RAID Configuration: RAID Level X-RAID2 (Dual Redundant)
Hard Disk Brand, Model, Capacity & Number: Seagate ST31000528AS 1TB x 6

Network Router/Switch/UPS: WNDR3700, Netgear GS108T, APC Back-UPS RS 1200 LCD
Computers: Sony VAIO VPCF11C53-FZ21Z/Core i7 Q720 1.6 GHZ/8 gb ram/500gb Seagate/Windows 7 Ultimate
Shuttle XPC SX58J3/Core i7 980x Extreme Edition 3.33 GHZ /16 gb ram/1TB Western Digital/Esx 4.1
Macbook Pro 15" Retina/Core i7 4850-HQ 2.3 GHz/16gb ram/512gb SSD PCIe/OSX Mavericks

"I don't suppose I could convince you to come up here and fight like a spider?" - Spider Man
spiderman
ReadyNAS Expert

ReadyNAS: Pro

Postby bsevans » Fri Mar 12, 2010 3:34 am

I appreciate the reply. However, as I stated in my post, the issued to and current IP are the same. There is no "install Certificate" button. There is a grayed out "Issuer Statement" button.
bsevans
ReadyNAS Newbie

Postby spiderman » Fri Mar 12, 2010 3:42 am

NAS Product 1: ReadyNAS Pro 6 8192 MB [6-6-6-18 DDR2]
RAIDiator Version: RAIDiator-x86 Version: 4.2.25
RAID Configuration: RAID Level X-RAID (Single Redundancy)
Hard Disk Brand, Model, Capacity & Number: Seagate ST31000524NS 1TB x 6

NAS Product 2: ReadyNAS Pro 3968 MB [4-5-5-15 DDR2]
RAIDiator Version: RAIDiator-x86 Version: 6.1.5
RAID Configuration: RAID Level X-RAID2 (Dual Redundant)
Hard Disk Brand, Model, Capacity & Number: Seagate ST31000528AS 1TB x 6

Network Router/Switch/UPS: WNDR3700, Netgear GS108T, APC Back-UPS RS 1200 LCD
Computers: Sony VAIO VPCF11C53-FZ21Z/Core i7 Q720 1.6 GHZ/8 gb ram/500gb Seagate/Windows 7 Ultimate
Shuttle XPC SX58J3/Core i7 980x Extreme Edition 3.33 GHZ /16 gb ram/1TB Western Digital/Esx 4.1
Macbook Pro 15" Retina/Core i7 4850-HQ 2.3 GHz/16gb ram/512gb SSD PCIe/OSX Mavericks

"I don't suppose I could convince you to come up here and fight like a spider?" - Spider Man
spiderman
ReadyNAS Expert

ReadyNAS: Pro

Postby bsevans » Fri Mar 12, 2010 4:20 am

Well, I finally found the right Windows help file that showed me what I needed to do.

"Security zones: adding or removing websites
Internet Explorer assigns all websites to one of four security zones: Internet, Local intranet, Trusted sites, or Restricted sites. The zone to which a website is assigned specifies the security settings that are used for that site. You can choose which websites to assign to the Intranet, Trusted, or Restricted zones. By adding a website to a specific zone, you can control the level of security used on that site. For example, if you have a list of websites that you visit and you completely trust those sites, add those sites to the Trusted zone.
For more information about security zones, see Change Internet Explorer Security settings.
To add a website to a security zone
Click to open Internet Explorer.
Navigate to the website that you want to add to a specific security zone.
Click the Tools button, and then click Internet Options.
Click the Security tab, and then click a security zone (Local intranet, Trusted sites, or Restricted sites).
Click Sites.
If you clicked Local intranet in step 4, click Advanced.
The website should be shown in the Add this website to the zone field. Click Add.
If the site is not a secure site (HTTPS), clear the Require server verification (https:) for all sites in this zone check box.
Click Close, and then click OK (or click OK twice if you clicked Local intranet in step 4)."

I selected the Local intranet and added the IP for the ReadyNAS Duo. I closed IE8 and restarted it. This time when I viewed the certificate it now had an active install button. During the install it ask if you want windows to automatically select where to install it or manually select. I chose to manually select and then clicked on "Trusted Root Certification Authorities store". I again closed IE8 and restarted IE8 and there is no longer that certificate error.
bsevans
ReadyNAS Newbie

Postby Wuss » Wed Apr 06, 2011 12:52 pm

Hi Just followed your instructions on my W7 64bit system and hey presto no more errors. Cheers :D
Wuss
ReadyNAS Newbie

Return to Share Access and File Permission