Can't find C drive or admin related folders

Please post questions and issues pertaining to share access and file permission here.

Can't find C drive or admin related folders

Postby MDK » Sun Oct 10, 2010 4:53 pm

I'm starting to regret my choice in NAS, maybe I should've gone for a more user-friendly (beginner) one :x

I used to be able to see the admin related folders such as C volume etc but now I can't.

As far as I'm aware I'm logging into the NAS as admin, at least on Frontview.

I access the files on the readynas via Computer>Network or Readynas Remote, it seems this is only way access to the information on the NAS from my LAN but it only gives access to Share folders, not the other stuff I used to see. I'm totally confused by this whole thing. None of the manuals, guides, forum info etc are in easy to understand terms for me. I also can't delete a test folder I've created, it says I need permission from 'unix user/ nobody'.

Please help before I throw this thing out of the window!

From what I've read I need to login as admin, where the hell do I do that??! I assumed that was what I was doing. When I try and use the admin login to access shares over HTTP it accepts it but when I click on the Shares folder it asks for another login. Admin won't work here, it only accepts a created user login and password.

:cry:
MDK
ReadyNAS Newbie

ReadyNAS: Ultra

Re: Can't find C drive or admin related folders

Postby mdgm » Sun Oct 10, 2010 5:00 pm

The user "nobody" is the Linux guest user. So most likely you created that when logged into the NAS as a guest.

To see the C volume you need to login to CIFS as "admin" e.g. in RAIDar click browse and then enter your username and password. Or in Windows Explorer go to \\ip.address.of.nas\ and enter your admin credentials.
mdgm
NETGEAR ReadyNAS Technical Expert

ReadyNAS: RN516

Postby MDK » Sun Oct 10, 2010 5:04 pm

Thanks for the fast reply.

I don't know what CIFS is but when I use RAIDar it doesn't ask for a login, it connects to what seems to be a user account. Same with Windows explorer. Neither are asking for credentials.
MDK
ReadyNAS Newbie

Postby mdgm » Sun Oct 10, 2010 5:10 pm

Do you have a user account on the NAS with the same username/password as the user account you are logged into on your PC?

Do you have guest access enabled to your shares?
mdgm

Postby MDK » Sun Oct 10, 2010 5:16 pm

My admin account on the NAS had the same password as my Windows account (admin one) but I changed it.

I created a user with the same username/password as the Windows account above but I've just changed the password for it but it's still not asking for credentials.
MDK
ReadyNAS Newbie

Postby MDK » Sun Oct 10, 2010 5:18 pm

HOLD THAT THOUGHT!

I think the change must've kicked in cos I'm getting prompted now.

I'm gonna assume that was the trouble so I'll go and sort out all my usernames/passwords :/

Thanks very much for your help and patience!
MDK
ReadyNAS Newbie

Postby MDK » Sun Oct 10, 2010 5:22 pm

One more thing...

How do I get RAIDar to forget the credentials? Even when exiting RAIDar it uses the last login without asking for username/password?
MDK
ReadyNAS Newbie

Postby mdgm » Sun Oct 10, 2010 6:01 pm

It's not RAIDar that's remembering the credentials. To disconnect from the NAS:
ewok wrote:From the command prompt, use the "net use" command, something like:

net use \\$nas_ip\$sharename /delete

If unsure what the sharename is that you need to disconnect, you can simply type "net use" (no quotes) in the command prompt to take a look at what are the active connections.

Also if your connections are only to the NAS, then you can simply use:

net use * /delete

which will disconnect all connections to network shares that were listed when you typed "net use" (no quotes).
mdgm

Postby MDK » Mon Oct 11, 2010 9:22 am

*sigh*

Turned the NAS on just now and the folders have gone again :/ I haven't used any kind of login and 'net use' isn't showing anything. I went into RAIDar and browse and the window that came up only had shares, not the admin folders.

The last credentials I used in RAIDar were admin ones that worked fine and showed all folders, surely if it's remembering any connection it would be the admin one?? I'm not getting any prompt for a login.
MDK
ReadyNAS Newbie

Postby ewok » Tue Oct 12, 2010 2:21 pm

Go to one of your shares on the NAS through Computer->Network, then create a new file there. Right click on the file, select Properties, and see who is the owner of the file. That will be the user account on the NAS that you are currently using. If it's not admin, you won't see the admin shares.
ewok
Jedi Council

ReadyNAS: Pro

Postby duo challenged » Sat Oct 16, 2010 7:25 am

I'm having a similar problem. Although, I'm able to sign into my Duo through Windows Explorer with the appropriate network address, the only share folders I see are backup and media. The reason that I'm looking for the C share folder is to edit the script for a new add-on I installed, DnsOMatic 2.0. The instructions for the add-in say to edit the script in the C share folder to add my own DynamicDNS access information.

Am I supposed to have a C share as one of my basic share folders or do I need to add a C share with Frontview? :?
duo challenged
ReadyNAS Newbie

ReadyNAS: Duo

Postby mdgm » Sat Oct 16, 2010 2:08 pm

To access the C share you need to login to CIFS as "admin"

If you login as "admin" you can then access the files

To disconnect from the NAS:
ewok wrote:From the command prompt, use the "net use" command, something like:

net use \\$nas_ip\$sharename /delete

If unsure what the sharename is that you need to disconnect, you can simply type "net use" (no quotes) in the command prompt to take a look at what are the active connections.

Also if your connections are only to the NAS, then you can simply use:

net use * /delete

which will disconnect all connections to network shares that were listed when you typed "net use" (no quotes).

You can also then use the net use command to login as admin
mdgm

Postby Nosmo King » Sat May 14, 2011 4:48 am

I was having the same problem. I used to be able to see my NVX C folders from within Windows Explorer on Windows 7 64bit Enterprise Edition. The ReadyNas FAQ recommends using the "net use \NAS.IP.Address\c /user:admin" command at the DOS prompt, as suggested above. That did not work for me.

However, I was able to achieve success with the following version of the command:

net use x: \\NVX_Name\c /user:admin /persistent:yes

For some reason, using the ReadyNAS's name instead of IP address worked. The /persistent instruction tells the computer to reconnect to the ReadyNAS as mapped to drive letter x: even after I reboot.

Hope this helps.
- nk
-----------------------------
RNDX4210 (4.2.15)
SqueezeCenter (7.5.1) > Squeezebox Duet & Squeezebox Touch > Niles ICS
ReadyDLNA (1.0.18.2) > WD TV Live
Subsonic (SP 1.6 / SS 4.4) > Subsonic Android client
Nosmo King
ReadyNAS Newbie

ReadyNAS: NVX

Postby taylord01 » Wed Jan 04, 2012 1:43 pm

Hi there. Similar issue here (I think). Want to access a part-downloaded Bittorrent file. Have setup a SHARE called DOWNLOADS which only displays completed Bittorrent files. Was assuming that the part-downloaded file may be lurking on the C: part of the NAS?

MAC OS X 10.7.2
Intel Core i5
RAIDar 4.3.4
Raidiator 4.1.8

I generally reach the shares (BACKUP, MEDIA, DOWNLOADS) via GUEST access.

Have just tried accessing the NAS via Safari url 192.168.1.100 (IP address of ReadyNAS), was prompted to login, used ADMIN + p/w I've setup, then navigated to the MY SHARES page that states 'No shares currently accessible'.

Need some guidance please as a relative newbie to the whole ReadyNAS world.

Thanks in advance
taylord01
ReadyNAS Newbie

ReadyNAS: Duo

Postby michaelche » Thu Jan 26, 2012 11:38 pm

I have windows 7 and Win2k both connected to Readynas Ultra 6 and 2, after read this post, I have tried this under DOS prompt:

net use \\IP-of-your-NAS\C /user:Admin

and it ask me to input the password then connected successfully.

please use CAP if you enter NAS network name instead of IP address, or it won't work....weird....
michaelche
ReadyNAS Newbie

Next

Return to Share Access and File Permission