4TB compatibility

Please post questions and issues pertaining to the ReadyNAS hardware and hardware compatibility here.

4TB compatibility

Postby lanceorion » Sun Apr 14, 2013 7:15 am

Another question about hard drives!

The official HCL lists Hitachi 3TB and 4TB Ultrastar as compatible with the new (and indeed old) readynas devices - ie the 102/4 etc.

Does that mean that the 3TB and 4TB Deskstar drives by Hitachi are likely to function OK as well?

I am reluctant to use Barracudas in part due to their poor rep in larger sizes but also their limited 1 year warranty. I plan to run the new 104 with 2 drives initially, either 3 or 4TB each and expand the array to the full 4 discs using the same one initially selected.

Any tips?
lanceorion
ReadyNAS Newbie

Re: 4TB compatibility

Postby mdgm » Sun Apr 14, 2013 3:14 pm

It's possible that other drives may work. However so note that NetGear can and will deny support if you use drives that are outside the compatibility list.
Useful links: My ReadyNAS Gear|FAQ|Hardware Compatibility List|Docs: Setup Guide, Manual|Downloads|Unofficial Tips|GPL|MDGM on Twitter|MDGM's Unofficial Guides
NB: A ReadyNas is not an excuse not to have a backup. Fire, theft, multiple disk failures, other hardware failure, floods, user negligence etc. can all result in loss of data.
How we users can contact NETGEAR Technical Support | Australia: 1300 361 254 / Other Numbers|Online Submission
Unofficial Guide for Moving from Sparc ReadyNAS to x86 ReadyNAS|Using Gmail with the ReadyNAS|XRAID Volume Size Calculator
If you have found my website or help very useful, please consider a donation in USD or AUD
mdgm
ReadyNAS Enthusiast

ReadyNAS: RN516

Postby lanceorion » Tue Apr 16, 2013 5:35 am

Is there any reason why drives are on the HCL for the Ultra 6 but not for the newer models?
lanceorion
ReadyNAS Newbie

Postby StephenB » Tue Apr 16, 2013 7:43 am

lanceorion wrote:Is there any reason why drives are on the HCL for the Ultra 6 but not for the newer models?
If there is, Netgear hasn't said so.

Unfortunately, they don't publish a list of drives that they tested and are known not to work.
StephenB
Incurable ReadyNAS Junkie

ReadyNAS: Pro

Return to Hardware and Hardware Compatibility