ReadyNAS Duo FTP problems

Please post anything pertaining to Mac and OS X compatibility issues here.

ReadyNAS Duo FTP problems

Postby apolloandi » Tue Mar 31, 2009 3:07 pm

Hello
I am using a ReadyNAS Duo as a small FTP server for my small business, it is not accessed often, only about once or twice a week to distribute files to a few partners. Currently it is hooked up to a Linksys 310 Wireless N router which is in turn bridged to my Verizon modem. I set up DDNS using dyndns.com since I don't have a static IP, and set up FTP on port 2048 and everything goes fine; I can access the NAS and read/write from any computer on my network. The problems arise when I am on another network, I can login and see my first file level but can't see anything in any folders and I'm not able to upload to the device. I've check permissions to the files and access privileges for FTP on the Duo, and I assume that my port forwarding and DDNS setup is correct or I wouldn't be able to get anywhere in the first place. Help?
apolloandi
ReadyNAS Newbie

Re: ReadyNAS Duo FTP problems

Postby jjames » Tue Mar 31, 2009 11:08 pm

do you have the "Passive ports" you set in your ready nas also set on your routers firewall, for say like 5000-5100 to point to your readynas (like you did for port 2048) or whatever you have set on services\standard file protocols\ftp on the readynas for the passive ports?
jjames
Advanced ReadyNAS User

ReadyNAS: NVX

Postby apolloandi » Tue Mar 31, 2009 11:16 pm

jjames wrote:do you have the "Passive ports" you set in your ready nas also set on your routers firewall, for say like 5000-5100 or whatever you have set on services\standard file protocols\ftp on the readynas?

see, i thought that might be causing issues between all the different ftp clients out there so i forwarded everything from 2000-2100 on my router and told all those ports to forward to my routers ip. something just feels wrong. i was testing it from another network and another client and i was able to almost upload to the ftp but i got no confirmation and when i later checked to see if anything had made it, i had a the correct file name but the file itself (just a simple rtf) was damaged and I was unable to open or download it. i thought at first that maybe i was having a problem with the ddns and that some kind of filtering was going on but when i connect directly with the routers ip and devices forwarding ports, i get the same results.
apolloandi
ReadyNAS Newbie

Postby jjames » Tue Mar 31, 2009 11:38 pm

apolloandi wrote:
jjames wrote:do you have the "Passive ports" you set in your ready nas also set on your routers firewall, for say like 5000-5100 or whatever you have set on services\standard file protocols\ftp on the readynas?

see, i thought that might be causing issues between all the different ftp clients out there so i forwarded everything from 2000-2100 on my router and told all those ports to forward to my routers ip. something just feels wrong. i was testing it from another network and another client and i was able to almost upload to the ftp but i got no confirmation and when i later checked to see if anything had made it, i had a the correct file name but the file itself (just a simple rtf) was damaged and I was unable to open or download it. i thought at first that maybe i was having a problem with the ddns and that some kind of filtering was going on but when i connect directly with the routers ip and devices forwarding ports, i get the same results.

so you have you passive ports set to 2000-2100 in your readynas and you use one of those ports 2048 set as the default port, never tried that before, not sure if would cause a issue or not, can try setting the ready nas to 2049-2100 as a test, though the fact that you got a partial file makes me think network related somehow as works locally for you

"i forwarded everything from 2000-2100 on my router and told all those ports to forward to my routers ip."

I assume you meant

i forwarded everything from 2000-2100 on my router and told all those ports to forward to my readynas ip.

I also use dyndns.com, and works fine, so think you are right that is not the issue

can try a
tracert <ip> or <dns name> to see the hops from a cmd line on windows
jjames
Advanced ReadyNAS User

ReadyNAS: NVX

Return to Mac / OS X