Constantly have to restart AFP on ReadyNAS

Please post anything pertaining to Mac and OS X compatibility issues here.

Constantly have to restart AFP on ReadyNAS

Postby jiminy » Fri Oct 08, 2010 7:19 pm

I made sure that I had the latest stable Raidiator, and re-installed a couple of times the AFP plugin, but to no avail (I did briefly also try the latest beta Raidiator w the AFP plugin but it didn't change anything so I went back to the last stable firmware). The problem is I have to constantly restart the AFP service on the ReadyNAS. Every time I leave the mac and it sleeps or if I take it to work and use it there and come back home, have to restart AFP.

Go - connect to server afp://nas-address does not work when the AFP is not showing up in finder, so I can't force it that way - only solution is to have to restart afp every darn day on the ReadyNAS. I did just download bonjour mounter but I see I'd have to pay for a license if I go beyond the trial period, so if there's a fix that I've ignored, let me know.

Sorry if this is posted elsewhere, I did search the forums, maybe not very well.

ReadyNAS Duo sparc, Snowleopard 10.6.4 - same issue on macbook and mac mini
Chief Giant Brain: "Tom Sawyer, you tricked me. This is less fun than previously indicated. Let this corny slice of Americana be your tomb for all eternity."
jiminy
ReadyNAS Newbie

ReadyNAS: Duo

Re: Constantly have to restart AFP on ReadyNAS

Postby jiminy » Tue Dec 21, 2010 9:31 am

Does anyone have any ideas for this? I have to restart AFP on the ReadyNAS every day just to listen to my music. Such a PITA.

Latest netgear firmware update did not help.
Chief Giant Brain: "Tom Sawyer, you tricked me. This is less fun than previously indicated. Let this corny slice of Americana be your tomb for all eternity."
jiminy
ReadyNAS Newbie

Postby bthom70 » Wed Dec 22, 2010 3:11 pm

Having the same trouble here too.
Actually browsing at all via VIFS, and AFP or whatever is a PITA.
Starting to have 2nd thoughts about investing in this. I have 5 Synology's at work and they are more stable albeit SLOWER.
bthom70
ReadyNAS Newbie

ReadyNAS: Ultra

Postby topo_nas » Wed Dec 22, 2010 10:13 pm

Have you tried Go -> Connect to Server afp://nas-address/share-name
NAS: Ultra 6 Plus [4.2.15] ~ 5x 2TB ST32000542AS [CC35] / 1x 2TB ST2000DL003-9VT166 [CC32] ~ X-RAID2 Dual Redundancy
UPS: APC Back-UPS RS 700G
LAN: NETGEAR GS116 :: GS108 :: LinkSys E3000 [DD-WRT v24-sp2]
topo_nas
ReadyNAS User

ReadyNAS: Ultra

Postby mrwiggles » Thu Jan 06, 2011 3:03 pm

Yes, I have this same problem and it's getting VERY TIRING. Just have to say it is souring my whole perspective on my Pro Business.

Topo_nas: that sometimes works, actually most of the time, but it's not the same as getting to the server via the Finder sidebar. I have numerous folders on the Pro BE that I have added as 'Places' in the sidebar.

Netgear: this has been going on for some time and has not been resolved. It's only gotten worse actually. I'll put this right up there, but not as severe, as the whole crappy iSCSI client mess.

-mw
mrwiggles
ReadyNAS User

Postby Arksaw » Thu Jan 06, 2011 7:22 pm

I just bought my first mac over Christmas and have the same problem connecting to my ReadyNas NV+ (working fine on my windows based network), and it's driving me nuts... Took me a while to work out that I needed to activate the AFP protocol to get the server to appear in Finder, but then connected and I could access my shares. Since then it has failed to reconnect each time in the morning when I come to wake up my mac. RAIDar finds the NAS perfectly, and it shows up in Finder, but the only solution is to disable AFP through RAIDar, and then re-enable it again - hardly what I want to have to do each day.

I also searched for similar issues and it appears there have been issues with Snow Leopard connecting to NAS servers since 2009, so I'm amazed (and annoyed as hell) that this still hasn't been resolved.
Arksaw
ReadyNAS Newbie

ReadyNAS: NV+

Postby Arksaw » Fri Jan 07, 2011 7:52 pm

Update - I set my mac to never go to sleep, and it stayed connected to the NAS...
Arksaw
ReadyNAS Newbie

Postby osopolare » Thu Jan 13, 2011 5:00 pm

I'm having the same issue. This thread seems to be the same problem as this thread:

http://www.readynas.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=48174
osopolare
ReadyNAS Newbie

ReadyNAS: Pro

Postby PAB » Wed Jan 19, 2011 12:47 pm

Hi. I'm new to the forum but had to sign up and add myself to this list of affected users. I am having the exact same problem. I have been in touch via email with Netgear support and although they have been quick to respond with ideas they haven't been able to find an answer. Each response they send points me to another post on this forum that shows an AFP/Time Machine problem with some work around. Non have worked for me and I still have the problem.

As described above if I restart the AFP on my ReadyNAS Duo it shown up in the finder, allows my Time Machine to connect, backs up and then looses connection again. Only restarting AFP restores. I have tried keeping my iMac awake (ie no sleep) keeping the readyNAS drives spinning all the time (no sleep) and neither stops the share being lost. I have deleted Time Machine preferences and several other suggestions.

Hoping someone can solve this as it is driving me and the others on here crazy.

I bought the ReadyNAS so that I can back up my Macs and the misses can back up her PC's to the same device. Normally I am the smug one with my Mac superiority complex but on this occasion her PC's are backing up sweetly to the NAS and I am in an uncomfortable and very annoying position. . . . . . . . . . .

here's hoping.

Peter
PAB
ReadyNAS Newbie

Postby osopolare » Fri Jan 21, 2011 5:42 pm

I don't know what I did but this problem seems to have resolved itself for me.

As far as I can see all I did was install and uninstall an add-on. I'm really confused now.

I'll post if I find a resolution.
osopolare
ReadyNAS Newbie

ReadyNAS: Pro

Postby jiminy » Fri Mar 18, 2011 11:03 am

Just wanted to give an update that this is still happening to me on a daily basis. I will check the mac mini to see if it is set to ever go to sleep. Maybe if I can keep the afp share mounted on that one computer (which serves as a server), it will stay up for all of them. Kind of silly to need what amounts to a second server just to keep the first one running smoothly.
jiminy
ReadyNAS Newbie

Postby PAB » Sat May 28, 2011 1:33 pm

Hi. Just in case anyone is still interested in this post I thought I'd let you know what has happened to my case. Well, the problem has never been resolved as far as my previous router (a Belkin 150N) was concerned despite trying everything I could. However, this week I have changed my router (for other reasons, not because of this Time Machine problem) and 'hey presto' the problem has gone!. The AFP/CIFS shares show on the finder and stay there, and the Time MAchine works perfectly - just as it should.

I have no idea why the previous (fairly new) router caused the problem but my new one (a more expensive Billion 7800N which I would recommend by the way) seems to have cured what ever it was. . . .

Thanks to everyone on these forums for trying to help. My ReadyNAS is backing up without a hitch and I intend now to disable the USB hard drive I have been using,

best regards

Peter
PAB
ReadyNAS Newbie

Postby forddonald » Sun May 29, 2011 5:52 am

I'm seeing similar behavior as the others here. I have a RNPro Business Ed with the latest 4.2.17 firmware. The AFP service is predictably unreliable, but in an unpredictable way. Others have reported that they can count on the service failing daily; not so for me. I can count on the service failing at some point... but not always daily. Disabling/enabling the service in the UI solves the issue, for a while. The .17 firmware is supposed to have an AFP logs truncation issue corrected, and I did see an improvement in it's reliability after the update, but it didn't last long.

My setup may be different than others: I have the NAS shutdown at midnight every night and restart at 6 am. This is an effective reboot of the box daily. I have seven Macs backing up to it via Time Machine, including a 24x7 Mac mini Server. Dual NICs on the NAS are connected to a D-Link green GigE switch as 'transmit load balancing'.

I note that the CIFS service does not seem to follow the same behavior; my test to see if the NAS is alive at all is to open a share via CIFS if I can't reach it via AFP. My logs suggest that Time Machine is failing due to the loss of AFP; it's not really a TM problem but a file service behind TM problem. NFS is working OK, as that's how the Mac mini connects to the music repository folder to stream to Squeezeboxes.

It certainly would be nice to have this file server work reliably as a file server.
forddonald
ReadyNAS Newbie

Postby SteveAus » Wed Jul 06, 2011 4:24 pm

I was finding that I had problems with AFP connectivity and Time Machine backups on my ReadyNAS NV+ and like a lot of the comments made here I had no problems with smb connectivity. I was restarting the Time Machine daemon thinking that was the problem till I looked at the system.log on my MacBook Pro where I noticed the ReadyNAS AFP share was attempting to mount my NAS with a “.local” domain name appended to the URL (Attempting to mount network destination using URL:afp://ReadyNAS@nasXXXXXX.local/ReadyNAS). I have since resolved the Time Machine issue by adding the “nasXXXXXX.local” and "nasXXXXXX" to the hosts file on both MacBooks in my household and everything just works now. There are major differences in the AFP and SMB protocols that make SMB easier to locate on a home network. SMB over TCP/IP uses a TCP NETBIOS broadcast as a location service whereas AFP uses Bonjour over UDP for service discovery on a local (single segment) network. For those of you who are not sure about adding details to the /etc/hosts file on your Mac the entry should go something like this: IPAddress nasXXXXXX.local nasXXXXXX
Substitute IPAddress for the address displayed on your NAS and nasXXXXXX for the name of your ReadyNAS box (leave ".local" as it is) and you should be good to go.
SteveAus
ReadyNAS Newbie

Return to Mac / OS X