Backup to ext USB drive in PC / Mac environment

Please post questions or problems regarding the built-in backup manager in FrontView here.

Backup to ext USB drive in PC / Mac environment

Postby kiwiracer » Tue Apr 01, 2008 3:02 am

Hi, I want to be able to backup shares containing files generated by PCs and shares generated by Macs to a 500GB ext USB drive. So far I understand that ext3 formatting is required on the USB drive to handle the extra information that is used by Mac files.

Q1. Can you use any Disk Mgt tool (such as Partition Mgr) to format the external drive as ext3 or can the Netgear NAS format the external drive (and is this best pratice?).

Having used Partition Manager to format the external drive already as ext3 is seams the bigger the partition the bigger the percentage of space on the partition is "used" after the format. I am not sure if this is really used or not but for a 200GB partition it was about 25GB and for the full 465GB on the drive it was 120GB! Does this sound right?

Q2. If ext3 has large overhead (as seems to be the case so far) can I have 2 partitions on the external drive, ext3 and FAT32, and use ext3 for Mac data and FAT32 for PC data?

If someone has been here and already done this (backup a mixed Mac/PC environment) please let me know if I am going down the right track or not.

Thanks...
kiwiracer
ReadyNAS Newbie

Re: Backup to ext USB drive in PC / Mac environment

Postby THA » Tue Apr 01, 2008 7:47 am

I'm no expert on this but the overheads you are seeing seem way to big. I formatted an external USB drive connected to the NAS using Frontview and chose ext3, but I was only see a few 100MB loss of space.
I have found that the best way to format a drive for use with the NV+ is to use Frontview, as follows (from memory as I don't have a drive hooked up at the moment):

1) login as administrator
2) Connect your drive
3) Go to 'volumes' and 'USB storage'
4) Your drive should show up with a drop-down menu next to it
5) Select format ext3 and let it do it's thing

Hope this helps.
MAC PRO
2 x 2.4 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon
14GB DDR3 RAM
Mac OSX 10.8.3
ATI Radeon HD 5870 1024 MB

ReadyNAS NV+
4 x Seagate 750GB with X-RAID
FW - Latest

ReadyNAS Pro 6
6 x WD 1TB enterprise drives with X-RAID2 and 2-disk redunancy
FW - latest
THA
ReadyNAS User

Postby kiwiracer » Tue Apr 01, 2008 11:48 am

Thanks, THA

I have read somewhere that ext3 supports journalling which takes about 5% of the partition space which is why I didn't think it was totally abnornal to have that much space used after formatting. I will see what the NAS reports back regarding "used space" when I plug in the external drive for the first time..
kiwiracer
ReadyNAS Newbie

Postby kiwiracer » Wed Apr 02, 2008 1:33 am

OK now - NAS formatted blank ext USB 500GB drive with only 200Mb "used" space after operation. Therefore no need to have 2 different partitions.
kiwiracer
ReadyNAS Newbie

Return to FrontView Backup