How to Rsync home shares between two ReadyNAS NV+

Please post questions or problems regarding the built-in backup manager in FrontView here.

How to Rsync home shares between two ReadyNAS NV+

Postby daniel8 » Thu Jul 23, 2009 7:28 am

Since there are no places to change the settings or enable Rsync for the home shares, is it at all possible to rsync them. Or any other good way to do this.

I have two identical ReadyNAS set up and the backup NAS will pull all the date from the primary share by share.

I think it is possible to push it from the primary NAS into a non home share on the other NAS, but that is not really what I prefer. I would like to keep the backup as a mirror of the primary.
daniel8
ReadyNAS Newbie

Re: How to Rsync home shares between two ReadyNAS NV+

Postby daniel8 » Mon Aug 03, 2009 6:54 pm

Can nobody advice on this?

What I have done now is to set up 2 backup jobs to handle this. The 1st job backs up the home share to hidden share on the backup nas. Then the 2nd job makes a backup of the hidden share to the home share on the same nas.

It is kind of double work for the nas and it requires twice the space, but it gets the job done.

It would be great if there was a way to rsync home shares between two ReadyNAS'

Anyone else have any experience with this?
daniel8
ReadyNAS Newbie

Re: How to Rsync home shares between two ReadyNAS NV+

Postby fdullemond » Tue Aug 04, 2009 1:20 am

Daniel,

I do not think this can be done through the frontview backup functionality.

You can easily do this with commandline, rsync, mount, nfs, cron, etc... but you have to enable SSH and develop some scripts yourself.

Fred
fdullemond
Advanced ReadyNAS User

ReadyNAS: NVX

Return to FrontView Backup