Cannot complete backup to USB drive

Please post questions or problems regarding the built-in backup manager in FrontView here.

Cannot complete backup to USB drive

Postby explosive_tom » Wed Dec 15, 2010 1:25 am

Hi,

I have a ReadyNAS Duo (4.1.6) that has 2x500GB disks in. I have currently used 461GB and I am trying to do a full backup to an external USB drive (1TB).

I am having 2 problems.
(1) When I plug in the USB drive to the front USB port it does not detect the drive but instead tells me I have unplugged my UPS (which is connected to a rear USB port)!! I have to reboot the readynas in order for it to redetect the UPS and to pick up the USB drive!

(2)I have created a backup job with the following settings:
Backup: Volume c
Destination: Share 2 of USB drive
No Schedule (just want to run once manually)
Backup options: First time - Full backup, both checkboxes unticked.

The first time I ran the job the entire drive was one partition (NTFS) and it failed with this error:
Reason for failure:
Error encountered copying data from source path ==> /USB_HDD_1/NAS_Backup_141210 due to unsupported filename characters in the destination filesystem.

So I decided to parition my usb drive and created a 550GB ext3 parition thinking this might help.
That backup then failed again after copying about 19GB of 461GB. This time frontview told me 'the backup failed due to an unknown error' but there is no log for it. Only the previous log file remains.

Any ideas?
explosive_tom
ReadyNAS Newbie

ReadyNAS: Duo

Re: Cannot complete backup to USB drive

Postby ewok » Wed Dec 15, 2010 3:43 pm

I'm not sure what would cause #2. Send me your logs using the info in my sig and I can take a look at #2.
ewok
Jedi Council

ReadyNAS: Pro

Postby explosive_tom » Fri Dec 17, 2010 1:14 am

I have just sent the logs.

I have done further experimenting. Instead of backing up the entire volume c i decided to tackle it one share at a time.
I started with a small share that completed. (~10GB) I then moved onto a larger share (~120GB) which failed for the same unknown reason as doing the entire volume. I dug a bit deeper and it appears the external drive encountered an error and remounted itself read-only thus preventing further data being backed up. The strange thing is that it seems that the error happened at exactly the same time for both backups (4:00am)! I am wondering if there is a particular cron job or event that is set to happen at that time that interferes with the backup process?
explosive_tom
ReadyNAS Newbie

Postby ewok » Fri Dec 17, 2010 12:53 pm

Is this a Seagate Freeagent drive? They are known to have issues with their sleep modes.
ewok
Jedi Council

Postby explosive_tom » Fri Dec 17, 2010 1:11 pm

Its a 'NoTouch Premium NT3600' - no idea what make disk it has inside...
explosive_tom
ReadyNAS Newbie

Postby Wurls80 » Thu Dec 30, 2010 9:43 am

I'm seeing something very similar. I'm using a western digital wd2500me (250GB USb drive, but I haven't got anywhere near the full capacity of my duo and I have it lying around, so thought I'd make use of it). I have formatted the drive as ext3 through frontview.

It's backing up about 30GB worth of data. Fast USB is enabled (now). It's backing up volume c.

First backup set it going about 22:00, and it failed at 05:26 the following morning (I didn't have fast usb enabled at this point....). Error was unknown reason, checking the log said that it couldn't copy a particular folder (which was actually empty). I deleted the folder, set fast USB, set the backup running again - it did an incremental backup and completed within about 5 minutes.

Backup job ran again last night as per the schedule, set to run from 00:00-03:00. I got an error email saying that it failed at 05:26 this morning, due to unknown reason - couldn't find a particular file (that I think it copied previously but has now been removed). It was running an incremental backup.

Logged into frontview, and there is no sign of the log at all - the last backup job it said it ran was the one that took 5 minutes yesterday afternoon!

Bit confused - one as to why the log hasn't been created, and two as to what is happening at 05:26 in the morning. The duo is set to power down at 06:15 every morning; transmission would've been running but other than that there wasn't anything going on...
Wurls80
ReadyNAS Newbie

Postby ewok » Tue Jan 04, 2011 3:22 pm

explosive_tom wrote:I have just sent the logs.

I have done further experimenting. Instead of backing up the entire volume c i decided to tackle it one share at a time.
I started with a small share that completed. (~10GB) I then moved onto a larger share (~120GB) which failed for the same unknown reason as doing the entire volume. I dug a bit deeper and it appears the external drive encountered an error and remounted itself read-only thus preventing further data being backed up. The strange thing is that it seems that the error happened at exactly the same time for both backups (4:00am)! I am wondering if there is a particular cron job or event that is set to happen at that time that interferes with the backup process?

It looks like the backup job hit what could possibly be a hardware error on the USB drive. I'd suggest connecting the drive to a Windows PC and doing a thorough disk check on it. You may also want to try another USB drive if you have one available.

As for the UPS disconnects, can you reproduce this reliably?
ewok
Jedi Council

Postby NasDog » Fri Jan 07, 2011 3:23 pm

...(2)I have created a backup job with the following settings:...
...due to unsupported filename characters in the destination filesystem...

What language is set in your Frontview?

This might be a long shot, but two of the guys in this thread (http://www.readynas.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=49068) are having troubles due to "localized language" (Swedish and French). The Swedish error message is exactly the same as you have and it seems to be caused by language specific characters in file names/folder paths.
NasDog
ReadyNAS Newbie

Postby explosive_tom » Sun Jan 09, 2011 7:48 am

My Frontview is set to English - There maybe some files being backed up with non-english names though.

Having reproduced the USB issue many time it has now stopped happening!

I just made a backup of my NAS by connecting my external drive to my (Linux) desktop PC and manually copying my files from the NAS to the external drive across the network. This completed successfully. It would appear that the ReadyNAS cannot handle the external drive correctly and allows it to go into sleep mode while it is copying files to it.
explosive_tom
ReadyNAS Newbie

Return to FrontView Backup