PS3 Media Server for ReadyNAS PRO

A nice, warm, and cozy place for all third-party developers to congregate.

PS3 Media Server for ReadyNAS PRO

Postby igor_dulatov » Sun Nov 01, 2009 6:34 am

I have made addon PMS for readynas pro. it support transcoding in realtime (mkv can play at PS3).
Addon include java, mplayer, mencoder, ffmpeg, tsmuxer and PMS. If anybody want to test it - download link:

http://rapidshare.com/files/300889849/PMSforReadyNAS_1.1.bin.html
MD5: BFFA401DB01BDD66EDAB1102836AD094

Transcoding is very slow... and size of addon very big. I have no time to correct it and finish the project, but if anybody want to finish - this link to source code of addon:

http://rapidshare.com/files/300911467/PMSforReadyNasPro1_1_src.tar.gz.html
MD5: 8917B42FBB6EAE7718A742ED3D916ABC
igor_dulatov
ReadyNAS Newbie

ReadyNAS: Pro

Re: PS3 Media Server for ReadyNAS PRO

Postby igor_dulatov » Sun Dec 20, 2009 11:37 am

New version 2.1:
http://rapidshare.com/files/323589916/PMSforReadyNAS_2.1.bin.html
MD5: F15F3F94C2D92654E70E3FC0427DB7C6

MKV now in realtime (only some 1080p movie can be slow, but you can change config of PMS for downgrade quality of the video)
Addon include
Playstation 3 Media Server (PMS)
mplayer, mencoder, ffmpeg, tsMuxeR
Java
Libs and Codecs for mplayer/mencoder

Version 2.1:
Changes:
- mplayer, mencoder, ffmpeg compiled with multithread support (compiled at ReadyNas PRO)
- Last version of tsMuxeR included (in /usr/local/bin; mplayer, ffmpeg, mencoder also here)
- New version of Playstation 3 Media Server included (Ver 1.11.369 unstable) - it support some TV with upnp (Sony, Samsung, Philips, etc)
- Change home directory of addon to /c/addon-config/PMSFORREADYNAS
- Add some definitions in /default/services (PMSFORREADYNAS_*)
- Size of addon now is ~63Mb (was ~90) - big, but it include JRE and win32 codecs as is...

About addon, that can be useful:
Definitions in /default/services:
PMSFORREADYNAS_DIRECTORY - home directory (default is /c/addon-config/PMSFORREADYNAS)
PMSFORREADYNAS_JAVA_VER - Installed Java version (default is 1.6.0_16)
PMSFORREADYNAS_JAVA_HOME - Home directory of java (default is $PMSFORREADYNAS_DIRECTORY/jre$PMSFORREADYNAS_JAVA_VER)
PMSFORREADYNAS_MEDIADIR - Directory with media files, can be changed in FrontView web interface (default is /media)

In home directory placed subdir win32 with codecs for mplayer/mencoder - you can modify it without reinstall addon.
In subdir pms you can configure PMS.conf, WEB.conf (need restart PMS after change) Now it configured for RUSSIAN language and movies support. For more information about PMS:
http://ps3mediaserver.blogspot.com/
http://ps3mediaserver.org

If anybody whant source code of addon - contact me
igor_dulatov
ReadyNAS Newbie

Postby alokeprasad » Sun Dec 20, 2009 12:35 pm

Can this be ported to the Duo?
alokeprasad
ReadyNAS Expert

Postby igor_dulatov » Sun Dec 20, 2009 1:04 pm

I think no. Its only for x86 platform
igor_dulatov
ReadyNAS Newbie

Postby Highlander337 » Sat Dec 26, 2009 1:29 am

Hi, how do you actually install the PMS program onto the Nas ??

Cheers

Stu
Highlander337
ReadyNAS Newbie

Postby igor_dulatov » Sun Dec 27, 2009 1:21 pm

Download .bin file and read:
http://www.readynas.com/forum/faq.php#How_do_I_install%2Fremove_an_add-on%3F
igor_dulatov
ReadyNAS Newbie

Postby petese » Tue Dec 29, 2009 3:27 pm

Hi please tell me how to set it up, i did install *.bin file v2.1 and i see this in add-ons, but my PS3 dont :).
Im not a familiar with linux, i need step by step guide.
Another think, after installing v1.1 i have problem share "PMSFORREADYNAS" not found.
ReadyNAS NVX Pioneer Edition
petese
ReadyNAS Newbie

ReadyNAS: NVX

Postby igor_dulatov » Wed Dec 30, 2009 1:23 am

Do you uninstall previous ver?
Does green indicator lighting?
For no more message about PMSFORREADYNAS share - go to the shares in frontview menu and kill it share (its share was made automaticaly, and i dont know how...).
igor_dulatov
ReadyNAS Newbie

Postby Ushman » Wed Dec 30, 2009 2:17 pm

I would like to try this add-on however is there some way you could post the download on this site as RapidShare is not allowing us to download it?

Update - I was able to get it from RapidShare after their servers came back up. Thanks.
Last edited by Ushman on Wed Dec 30, 2009 2:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ushman
ReadyNAS Newbie

Postby petese » Wed Dec 30, 2009 2:20 pm

I think i did uninstall old one version (1.1).
But if you can reupload this again (i have problem with old one download of this v1.1), i will try to uninstal both then install v1.1 uninstall and install again v2.1, maybe its the way for my "PMSFORREADYNAS" problem.
In frontview i dont see "PMSFORRAEDYNAS" share, and when i'm trying to create this share saying "share already exist".
It's a log: "The paths for the shares listed below could not be found. Typically, this occurs when the ReadyNAS is unable to access the data volume. PMSFORREADYNAS".
Indicator light is fine but PS3 still don't "see" server.
petese
ReadyNAS Newbie

ReadyNAS: NVX

Postby Ushman » Wed Dec 30, 2009 3:53 pm

Hi,
I am running 4.2.8 on a ReadyNas Pro Pioneer.

I installed this add-on and tried to use it. The PS3 found the add-on right away and I was able to view all the files on the NAS. However when I tried to play a 720p mkv file, the add-on was not capable of transcoding it. It took about 10-12 seconds and then I got a message saying the data is corrupt. I know the data is not corrupt and tried another file to be sure. Any suggestions? I tried the transcode folder as well and still no luck.

I did try this on a 8gb mkv file (Lethal weapon 1080p mkv) and it did work fine, so it seems to work on some files. I watched the first 7 minutes and no stuttering problems at all. I look forward to testing some more mkv files.

I think this is a brilliant add-on however I am not sure the ReadyNas has enough horsepower to keep this working properly. I would be happy to continue testing this to help. Will this add-on tax the processor in the NAS, increase heat?

Also, I did not have any problems with extra shares being created. It would be helpful if you could change the language to english under the settings folder.

Ushman
Ushman
ReadyNAS Newbie

Postby linkup » Thu Dec 31, 2009 12:36 pm

Ushman wrote:Hi,
I am running 4.2.8 on a ReadyNas Pro Pioneer.

I think this is a brilliant add-on however I am not sure the ReadyNas has enough horsepower to keep this working properly. I would be happy to continue testing this to help. Will this add-on tax the processor in the NAS, increase heat?

I have a Pro on order and will be putting 2TB Hitachis and more RAM in it. When you wonder if the Pro is adequate or not for the job, do you have fast or slow drives, and have you added RAM?

I will be using a PS3 for one home theater, but need a solution for the other home theater. Was looking at the Popcorn C-200.

They cost more than a PS3 and I don't need a second PS3 so I want an alternative solution so I have two choices in products.

Thanks,

Lew
Lew of Link Up Hosting
Netgear ReadyNAS Pro Biz
RHEL cPanel Datacenter Server
linkup
Advanced ReadyNAS User

Postby Ushman » Fri Jan 01, 2010 8:14 pm

Lew,
I have regular drives (two 750 GB Seagates and one 1TB Samsung) and have not added any extra RAM. I only wonder cause I know that real time transcoding can use up alot of the processor. I know the Pro has a multi-core Intel platform but just not sure how that will work for large (i.e. 8GB mkv files). It was working perfectly for me the other day on Lethal Weapon (8GB) but I only watched about 10 minutes. I had some trouble with some TV episodes that were mkv though, still can't get them to work despite the fact that PS3 Media Streamer (OS X version) plays them when I run it off my Macbook.

The PS3 is an excellent choice for media streamer, I have two of them. I am also looking for an additional product and did look at the new popcorn hour c-200 as well. The c-200 is way overpriced at this point for me as I am in Canada and would have to pay almost $400 to get one shipped and then fork over another $150 for a blu-ray drive.

If you don't need the blu-ray drive, you should consider the Western Digital WD TV Live as I have read many good reviews on it and it is powered by the new Sigma chipset. And try to hold out until the specs for the new Boxee Box are released here in January (http://www.boxee.tv/box).

Regardless I think I will be adding some RAM and look forward to using this add-on rather than transcoding all the mkv files I download.

Cheers,
Ushman
Ushman
ReadyNAS Newbie

Postby linkup » Fri Jan 01, 2010 8:49 pm

Ushman wrote:Lew,
The PS3 is an excellent choice for media streamer, I have two of them. I am also looking for an additional product and did look at the new popcorn hour c-200 as well. The c-200 is way overpriced at this point for me as I am in Canada and would have to pay almost $400 to get one shipped and then fork over another $150 for a blu-ray drive.

If you don't need the blu-ray drive, you should consider the Western Digital WD TV Live as I have read many good reviews on it and it is powered by the new Sigma chipset. And try to hold out until the specs for the new Boxee Box are released here in January (http://www.boxee.tv/box).

Regardless I think I will be adding some RAM and look forward to using this add-on rather than transcoding all the mkv files I download.

Glad to hear it works well in the streamer capacity. It would be handy to have a blu-ray device for the second home theater which was part of the reason I chose a PS3 for one home theater. Seemed like the game part was almost free considering the value of the blu-ray drive in it.

If you got the C-200, you wouldn't need to get the drive for it right away. You could use the streaming feature first and then s BD drive later.

What value do you see the C-200 having over a PS3?

Lew
Lew of Link Up Hosting
Netgear ReadyNAS Pro Biz
RHEL cPanel Datacenter Server
linkup
Advanced ReadyNAS User

Postby Ushman » Sat Jan 02, 2010 12:15 pm

Lew,
The value of the C-200 is definitely in its ability to play nearly ever format imaginable without the need for any additional transcoding or file manipulation. The PS3 is great and like you said the games are gravy but it does have its shortcomings, but I would have to say (for me) the biggest drawback is that the PS3 can't play MKV files natively, which is why this add-on is so great (once all the kinks are worked out).

The C-200 can play MKV's natively without having to transcode them into the m2ts container (like you have to do with the PS3). If you have alot of MKV files then this feature may be attractive for you rather than spending extra time transcoding. Also, the C-200 can handle DTS audio streams, so this is another big advantage over the PS3 which cannot stream DTS (even though it can play DTS from disc).

One other little thing I like about the C-200 is that you can actually stream audio to your home stereo using the little LCD screen on the front without having to turn the TV on (like the PS3). My 50 inch plasma sucks a lot of juice when it is on, so having it on just to control song selection is a waste of energy/money.

I agree with you, I could just get the C-200 and then worry about blu-ray later, but this PS3MS add-on almost makes things equal (except I still won't be able to watch MKV's with DTS audio unless I transcode the DTS to AC3). The C-200 is just still too expensive compared to a $299 PS3. If the price comes down, I will potentially consider replacing one of my PS3's for a C-200. So for me, it boils down to which will come first, C-200 price drop or MKV compatibility with PS3. This add-on has me leaning away from the C-200. Have you installed this add-on yet? Do you have it working on all your files? Are you going to go with the C-200?

Cheers,
Ushman
Ushman
ReadyNAS Newbie

Next

Return to ReadyNAS Developers Network