Bacula - Backup

A central place to check out community add-on releases for the ReadyNAS Ultra, Pro, NVX, 2100, 3100, 3200, 4200.
Forum rules
Add-ons in this forum are for use only on the ReadyNAS Pro and NVX models, and will not work with the Duo/NV/1100 platform.

For help with add-ons listed in this sub-forum, please post questions in this forum: General Discussion on ReadyNAS Add-ons.

These add-ons are created by third-party developers, and are not supported by NETGEAR. If you contact NETGEAR support for assistance with these add-ons, they will be unable to help you. Instead, post in the forum above to get help from the add-on developer.

Bacula - Backup

Postby WhoCares? » Sun Nov 22, 2009 5:33 pm

Bacula 3.0.3
  • Description:
    It comes by night and sucks the essence from your computers.

Bacula is a set of Open Source, enterprise ready, computer programs that permit you (or the system administrator) to manage backup, recovery, and verification of computer data across a network of computers of different kinds. Bacula is relatively easy to use and efficient, while offering many advanced storage management features that make it easy to find and recover lost or damaged files. In technical terms, it is an Open Source, enterprise ready, network based backup program.
  • Requirements: RAIDiator 4.2.7+
  • Platform: Intel
  • Current Version: Bacula_3.0.3-readypro-0.0.3.bin
    Changes from previous release:
  • Details:
    • This addon contains all the binaries and startup-scripts needed to run the Bacula Director and the Bacula Storage Daemon on the ReadyNAS Duo/NV/NV+/1100/X6
    • It doesn't provide a graphical or web based setup
    • Minimal Setup instructions (thankfully provided by J.P. Mens):

All files and programs are installed into /opt/rfw. I'm not going to hand-hold you through the rest of the installation, because Bacula is quite a beast. Instead, I'll give you an idea of what I did to get it up and running:

• Make a local backup of the bacula-dir.conf, bacula-sd.conf, and bconsole.conf files, all in /opt/rfw/etc.
      • Configure the Director (bacula-dir.conf) to send alerts to your mail server. Give the Director a name (I chose nv-dir) and a secret password.
      • Configure your clients (i.e. the computers to be backed up), and install a Bacula File Daemon (fd) on those if you haven't done so yet.
      • In bacula-dir.conf on the NV, create backup jobs for your clients, specifying which files and directories should be backed up on each.
      • Create the SQLite database into which the Bacula will write the catalog (the list of all files backed up) using the script in /opt/rfw/etc/make_sqlite3_tables. (Stefan packages the required sqlite3 utility to do this in the Bacula package.)
      • Start the Storage Daemon with /etc/init.d/bacula-sd start.
      • Start the Director similarly with /etc/init.d/bacula-dir start and watch out for errors in your configuration. Futher note, that a successful start of these programs does not mean a backup will eventially succeeed: the Director needs to be able to communicate with the File Daemons on the clients, and for that to work, addresses, names and passwords must match.
      • Configure bconsole (the Bacula console program) to use the Director on your NV.
      • Run a first backup job on a client. Watch out for messages indicating that a new volume needs to be labeled, and use the label command in bconsole to do so. The volume is created on the NV in /c/bacula, and it is a single file named after what you've labeled it to be.
      • If all goes well, Bacula will inform you by e-mail when the job is complete.
  • Version History:
    • 3.0.3-readypro-0.1.1.bin:
      * Initial public release
  • Donations:
    If you like this addon, please donate.
Follow me on Twitter, Facebook, Google+ or visit my add-on web site
WhoCares?
ReadyNAS Add-ons Expert

ReadyNAS: Pro

Return to Community Add-ons for ReadyNAS Ultra/Pro/NVX