Oberservation/Question ReadyNAS Photos

Support forum for ReadyNAS Photos. What is ReadyNAS Photos? NOTE: This product is End of Life.

Oberservation/Question ReadyNAS Photos

Postby jah313 » Sun Mar 09, 2008 11:14 am

I finally get some test gallery's up yesterday that people can see on the internet and I am fairly excited that this will work out. I then close up the Macbook Pro and hit the sack. Then I start getting email from people I sent the test photo albums that all the albums say I am off line, so they can not see my galleries. This morning I realize on the files to run the ReadyNAS Photos site reside on my computer. Is this correct? I though the whole purpose was to have everything on the NV+, so that I have a webserver/gallery from home. Is there a way to get the code to run off of the NV+ and not a computer ?
jah313
ReadyNAS Newbie

ReadyNAS: Ultra

Re: Oberservation/Question ReadyNAS Photos

Postby the evaluator » Sun Mar 09, 2008 12:19 pm

this is what is seemed like to me- i kept getting "user offline" errors, i'd like to hear Infrants official response, i assumed this was a technical glitch, rather than the actual Dekoh functionality.

if this is actually the case, then its completely ridiculous.

the dekoh solution seems unnecessarily heavy weight and complex, especially on the client side. if you look at what maxtor has implemented now for several years with a company called Fabrik, it utilizes the web server on the NAS, rather than installing a stack on every client that might interact with the NAS. i'm not sure whose idea this was, but if i was on Infrant's product management team, i would have objected strongly.

of course my main issue is that the feature seems poorly tested and QA'd, which i guess is typical for Infrant. i've removed it, (the buggy client software kept blowing up and throwing java exceptions on my two vista machines) and the limitation on only machines with the client being able to upload photo's kind of killed it for me. if they'd just implemented the upload page on the NAS itself, it would have been much more functional. the truth is, picasa web albums is probably the best free way to share photo's.
the evaluator
Advanced ReadyNAS User

Postby yoh-dah » Sun Mar 09, 2008 11:41 pm

jah313 wrote:This morning I realize on the files to run the ReadyNAS Photos site reside on my computer. Is this correct? I though the whole purpose was to have everything on the NV+, so that I have a webserver/gallery from home. Is there a way to get the code to run off of the NV+ and not a computer ?

No, that's not correct. The files will reside on the ReadyNAS. Did you take a look at the steps at http://www.readynas.com/?cat=5 ? If you're getting the offline message, try rebooting the ReadyNAS and see if that makes any difference.
yoh-dah
Jedi Council Alumni

ReadyNAS: Pro

Postby jah313 » Mon Mar 10, 2008 6:34 am

No go. I have rebooted several times and it just says "user" Offline.

Where would all the files for the dekoh website be on the NAS? I see them in a folder in my apps folder on the macbook pro, but nothing on the NAS.

Thanks!

EDIT: Yodah, I will send you an invite if you would like and you can see for yourself, just PM an email addy to me.
jah313
ReadyNAS Newbie

ReadyNAS: Ultra

Postby smartwombat » Mon Mar 10, 2008 2:48 pm

I too am struggling to understand the architecture of this.

I think it's 3-part, here's a guess.

1) ReadyNAS
- storage in database
- delivery of images to web
- launch Localhost software installer link in your browser

2) Localhost Dekoh application
- adds images to database
- copies images to NAS
- sends image/db/NAS information to Central Dekoh server
- sends sharing request to Central Dekoh server

3) Central Dekoh server
- sends sharing emails to users to view albums
- receives requests from users for shared albums
- translates user request to NAS/dB address to fetch images
- displays web page to user

I'd like to know how it really works.
Like how it manages to get a request for images through my router firewall without me opening any ports.
PAul
smartwombat
ReadyNAS Expert

ReadyNAS: NV+

Return to ReadyNAS Photos