ReadyNAS Photos Intended for External Viewing?

Support forum for ReadyNAS Photos. What is ReadyNAS Photos? NOTE: This product is End of Life.

ReadyNAS Photos Intended for External Viewing?

Postby HomebrewerDan » Mon Apr 14, 2008 6:35 am

I recently upgraded to version 1.4 of the Photos addon (running 4.01c1-p1) and am still trying to figure out how this Photos service is really supposed to work.

1) Is this intended for sharing with users on the internet -- i.e. external to your own home network? If I bring up a browser on my local network and share the album to one of my email addresses, I can see the album and all photos. However, if I, say, try that same link from work, it brings me to my main ReadyNAS Photos page, shows the cover of the album I shared, but does NOTHING when I click on the link for the album.

2) What is the app doing when I create an album? It sure seems like it's uploading something due to the length of time it takes to add photos. If the point of this service is to save yourself from uploading to other storage on things like Flikr, I would have expected album creation to be a whole lot quicker.

3) Logging in with the ReadyNAS Photos application (i.e. to manage albums and connect to the NAS) has some goofy permissions/authentication things. I eventually got it to work, but had to play around with 'Requires Authentication', 'Username' and 'Password' to get it to connect ultimately (running Share security mode). I saw the Helpful Hints post in this forum so that's fine.

4) Do I need to open up any ports on my firewall for external access?

I'm mostly interested in #1 above. If this service is only for sharing to computers on the NAS's internal network, it doesn't seem very useful for the home user, and I wouldn't expect business users to really care about photo sharing within their enterprise.
HomebrewerDan
ReadyNAS Newbie

ReadyNAS: NV+

Re: ReadyNAS Photos Intended for External Viewing?

Postby k-3po » Mon Apr 14, 2008 7:56 pm

HomebrewerDan wrote:1) Is this intended for sharing with users on the internet -- i.e. external to your own home network? If I bring up a browser on my local network and share the album to one of my email addresses, I can see the album and all photos. However, if I, say, try that same link from work, it brings me to my main ReadyNAS Photos page, shows the cover of the album I shared, but does NOTHING when I click on the link for the album.

It should work from work also. The mail has two links "view album" and "view slideshow". If you try the "view album" link, it should show the thumbnails of photos in the album (and not the cover of the album). If you click on "view slideshow" link, it should show slideshow. Since you are seeing the album cover instead of the above, can you let us know which link you are trying?
HomebrewerDan wrote:2) What is the app doing when I create an album? It sure seems like it's uploading something due to the length of time it takes to add photos. If the point of this service is to save yourself from uploading to other storage on things like Flikr, I would have expected album creation to be a whole lot quicker.

It resizes the images and copies them to your ReadyNAS. The next update to the desktop s/w should make resizing faster.

/k-3po
k-3po
ReadyNAS Photos Expert

Postby spie » Fri Apr 18, 2008 1:38 pm

It resizes the images and copies them to your ReadyNAS. The next update to the desktop s/w should make resizing faster.

/k-3po

Before I copied my photos to photonas I resized them to 1920x1080 (full HD) because I view these pictures also with my TV via PS3. Due to your statement I wonder to which size photonas resizes my pictures?

- spie
spie
Advanced ReadyNAS User

ReadyNAS: Ultra

Postby k-3po » Fri Apr 18, 2008 5:07 pm

spie wrote:Before I copied my photos to photonas I resized them to 1920x1080 (full HD) because I view these pictures also with my TV via PS3. Due to your statement I wonder to which size photonas resizes my pictures?

- spie

The photos application has multiple views. In the thumbnail view, the photos are shown in 100x100 size, in photo strip view they are shown in 400x400 size, in slideshow view they are shown in 800x600 size and in original photo view, they are shown in the original size you added the photos (1920x1080 in your case).

/k-3po
k-3po
ReadyNAS Photos Expert

Return to ReadyNAS Photos