Still can't send alert emails after upgrade to 4.1.6

Please post question and issues pertaining to installation and upgrade here.

Still can't send alert emails after upgrade to 4.1.6

Postby tewill » Thu Jul 16, 2009 11:24 am

With RAIDiator 4.1.4, I was able to successfully send alert emails from my Duo using a remote SMTP server (my ISP blocks port 25), after following the tips in this post: www.readynas.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=24766. However, after upgrading to 4.1.5, not only were the SMTP settings cleared, but after resetting them, I could not get email alerts to work. Some posts about this problem as well as the release notes for 4.1.6 led me to believe that this issue was fixed in the new RAIDiator release. But, I still cannot get email alerts to work with a remote SMTP server after upgrading to 4.1.6: no matter what I try, I get the message, "Failed to send alert test message."

- I'm using the FQDN of my SMTP server.
- I've tried all the SMTP ports my provider supports.
- I have a value in the new "From" field.
- I have the new "Login Type" dropdown set to "auto."
- My provider has a secure SMTP server, and I tried using those settings along with checking the TLS box, but that didn't work either.

I'm not sure what the solutions and limitations are for these fixes in the release notes:

1. SMTP server settings should be more flexible to work with more servers.
6. Support longer email addresses in SMTP user and from fields.

So, I'm unsure whether my settings fall into limitations of the new release, even though they worked with RAIDiator 4.1.4.

Is the only alternative to try and get my ISP to unblock port 25 so the Duo can send the emails itself? Or, is there more information that wasn't included in the release notes to get a remote SMTP server to work with 4.1.6.?

Thanks!
tewill
ReadyNAS Newbie

Re: Still can't send alert emails after upgrade to 4.1.6

Postby ewok » Thu Jul 16, 2009 11:28 am

It's most likely a configuration issue. Please send me the logs using the info in my sig and I'll take a look.
ewok
Jedi Council

ReadyNAS: Pro

Postby lightsabre » Thu Jul 16, 2009 12:28 pm

Not working here either. Ceased working quite some time ago. If I can download and install just about any email client on any platform and get it to send messages without it going into conniptions, what is the big deal with the SMTP server in the ReadyNAS?!
lightsabre
ReadyNAS User

ReadyNAS: Ultra

Postby ewok » Thu Jul 16, 2009 1:07 pm

According to your logs, your SMTP server is not accepting what you have in the From field. The From field should normally contain an email address that the SMTP server will accept.

If you're not using TLS, you may need to set the authentication mode to plain or login.
ewok
Jedi Council

Postby ewok » Thu Jul 16, 2009 1:08 pm

lightsabre wrote:Not working here either. Ceased working quite some time ago. If I can download and install just about any email client on any platform and get it to send messages without it going into conniptions, what is the big deal with the SMTP server in the ReadyNAS?!

It just needs to be configured correctly. What are your SMTP settings? Feel free to PM them to me.
ewok
Jedi Council

Postby tewill » Thu Jul 16, 2009 1:47 pm

ewok wrote:According to your logs, your SMTP server is not accepting what you have in the From field. The From field should normally contain an email address that the SMTP server will accept.

If you're not using TLS, you may need to set the authentication mode to plain or login.

Thanks - I did some testing and here's what I found:

- I first thought the new "From" field was for a "friendly" name. I tried changing it to my email address, and it still didn't work with the regular, non-secure server. But, I did get it to work by both changing the "From" to my email address *and* changing the "Login Type" to "plain."

- I also was able to get the email alerts to work with my secure SMTP server by again making "From" my email address, but selecting "auto" for Login Type and checking the TLS box.

- I also found that the tip I mentioned in my first post above about having to use both the first and second alert contacts is no longer necessary - I got it to work by putting the same email address as my main account for my SMTP server as Alert Contact 1 (I didn't try making the first contact a different email address).

So, it's working now - thanks for the help!
tewill
ReadyNAS Newbie

Postby NeoMorph » Fri Jul 17, 2009 1:45 am

I'm also having problems with this darn SMTP problem. In my case it keeps saying that my username is invalid. My website sets up the username like "storage+mysite.com" where "storage" is the account name. This means ANY account I set up using my websites email will be invalid to my Duo's alert system.

Is there any way round this?
NeoMorph
ReadyNAS Newbie

ReadyNAS: Duo

Postby ewok » Mon Jul 20, 2009 11:25 am

NeoMorph wrote:Is there any way round this?

We would have to fix this for the next release. There are a couple of ways to work around it:

1. Enable ssh access and make the required change.

2. Do a config backup (miscellaneous category), make the change to msmtprc, then restore it.
ewok
Jedi Council

Postby bwiberg » Tue Jul 21, 2009 2:58 pm

Running a ReadyNAS Duo with 4.1.6 here.

I have identified something which might cause problems with some ISPs' SMTP servers -- not only for notification alerts but for all outgoing e-mails: It appears to identify itself as "localhost" when greeting the SMTP server using the HELO command.

Received: from xyz.cust.bredbandsbolaget.se (HELO localhost) ([213.x.y.z])
by iph2.telenor.se with ESMTP; 21 Jul 2009 23:05:01 +0200

Perhaps some kind of external IP address detection (á la www.my-ip.com) should be attempted in order to be able to greet the SMTP server correctly? Or another configuration field to be able to specify the HELO string? In my case, I would set it to a dyndns.org hostname whose IP i actively maintain/update.

Temporary work-around for notification alerts (in my case) is to make sure that at least one of the contact e-mail addresses is a @bredband.net one as it seems that that one will get the notification...

And, by the way, the To: line in the message body, when one configures multiple alert contacts, looks like:

To: xyz@home.se abc@bredband.net

Shouldn't those be comma separated, as per RFC 2822 A.1.2?

Just a thought.
Best regards,
Björn
bwiberg
ReadyNAS Newbie

Postby w3d » Wed Jul 22, 2009 3:43 am

NeoMorph wrote:I'm also having problems with this darn SMTP problem. In my case it keeps saying that my username is invalid.

Just a thought... many SMTP servers do not require a username/password. The username is often only reqd when using POP3 (receiving).

Is your routers firewall blocking it?

Googlemail also provides a free SMTP server (smtp.gmail.com) - Google account reqd - not tried this though.
http://mail.google.com/support/bin/answ ... swer=13287
w3d
ReadyNAS Newbie

ReadyNAS: NV+

Postby NeoMorph » Fri Jul 31, 2009 3:30 am

I finally got it to work after using my ISP's email (which I haven't used for ages). After messing around with the settings and may hours of head scratching I finally managed to get it working.

Then when I went to test it again today (as I hadn't had any reports since the power cuts the other day) I found it's failing again.

Got to say it's rather unstable for what should be a simple system... How can it work one minute and not the next :?
NeoMorph
ReadyNAS Newbie

Postby NeoMorph » Fri Jul 31, 2009 3:50 am

OK... I think I have found a bug in the password saving...

If I put in a 4 digit password it shows 4 dots when I hit apply... fine. I then go to the settings tab and return and it is now showing 5 dots. It's obviously reverting back to the original password somehow (which was a 5 digit password) or does it show 5 dots for however many digits are in use?

Could this be why people are having problems...

Edit: I can either have no password or the five digit password that is no longer valid as when I changed the password from an all text password to a new one (which no longer works) and I can't go back as the password now has to have a number in (which the old password did not).

Time to wait for a bug fix... Grrr... The annoying thing is it WAS working for a while and I had not changed anything... it just stopped working by itself.
NeoMorph
ReadyNAS Newbie

Postby ewok » Fri Jul 31, 2009 1:10 pm

NeoMorph wrote:If I put in a 4 digit password it shows 4 dots when I hit apply... fine. I then go to the settings tab and return and it is now showing 5 dots. It's obviously reverting back to the original password somehow (which was a 5 digit password) or does it show 5 dots for however many digits are in use?

It should always show 5 dots, regardless of how many characters your password has.

Feel free to send me the logs using the info in my sig.
ewok
Jedi Council

Postby NeoMorph » Sun Aug 02, 2009 12:43 am

OK, now I am really confused... it's working again and I haven't changed anything since it wasn't working.

I HATE INTERMITTENT PROBLEMS. :?

Edit: Come to think of it I did turn off and then reboot the box yesterday as I had to do some cleaning near the NAS and didn't want to knock it and cause a head crash. Looks like the reboot fixed the problem somehow.
NeoMorph
ReadyNAS Newbie

Postby lightsabre » Mon Aug 03, 2009 12:10 pm

ewok wrote:
lightsabre wrote:Not working here either. Ceased working quite some time ago. If I can download and install just about any email client on any platform and get it to send messages without it going into conniptions, what is the big deal with the SMTP server in the ReadyNAS?!

It just needs to be configured correctly. What are your SMTP settings? Feel free to PM them to me.

Thanks ewok. I have managed to get it working with a gmail smtp. I don't recall those extra fields (login type, etc.) being available when I first tried this, immediately after the firmware update. Anyway this is what I have and it's working for the test messages.

SMTP server: smtp.gmail.com
SMTP port: 587
User: full gmail address
Password:
From: I have no idea what this field is supposed to contain. For now I put "ReadyNAS." Blank did not work.
Login Type: login
Use TLS: checked
Use STARTTLS: checked

Backup confirmation alerts should start appearing tomorrow.

Larry
lightsabre
ReadyNAS User

ReadyNAS: Ultra

Next

Return to Installation and Upgrade