Cant log in with putty in ssh

Please post question and issues pertaining to installation and upgrade here.

Cant log in with putty in ssh

Postby mfe_ » Mon Oct 19, 2009 1:21 pm

Hello,

i reset my readynas, changed some settings. I enabled the EnableRootSSH http://www.readynas.com/?page_id=617

I logged in installed php5 and mysql.

While i was with putty connected to the nas i changed in the frontview the admin pw.

now i cant log into the nas with putty. i got always the message: access denied. I logged in with root and the same password from admin of the webinterface.

i installed a second third time the EnableRootSSH update. Changed also the admin pw in the frontview. But i got always the same message: access denied.

have anyone a idea what i can do?

greetings
mfe_
Advanced ReadyNAS User

Re: Cant log in with putty in ssh

Postby dbott67 » Mon Oct 19, 2009 2:34 pm

After installation of the EnableSSH add-on, the root password is set to the admin password, however, they are in fact separate accounts. The root password is likely still whatever your previous admin password was.

In order to change the root password, you need to ssh into the NAS as root & use the passwd command.
dbott67
ReadyNAS Fanatic

ReadyNAS: Pro

Postby mfe_ » Tue Oct 20, 2009 5:31 am

omg!

i got it. i dont know why, but, the root got the default pwd netgear1...
mfe_
Advanced ReadyNAS User

Postby dbott67 » Tue Oct 20, 2009 5:42 am

guest1 wrote:i dont know why, but, the root got the default pwd netgear1.

Likely because the "admin" password was set to 'netgear1' during the very first installation of EnableRootSSH.
dbott67
ReadyNAS Fanatic

Postby aanetcon » Thu Oct 29, 2009 9:28 am

Did similiar thing, and could not locate instructions as to what may have been wrong.
End result was that I could not log in as root.
My solution was to perform factory reset, full reload and reconfigure.

PITA, that there is such poor documentation of such critical elements!!!
Suggest that needs to be appropriate instruction/comment about change of password etc.
Is better to have an excess of documentation, than a void!

Tony
Model: ReadyNAS Pro Business Edition
Memory: 4096 MB [6-6-6-18 DDR2] Kingston Memory (2 GB X 2 Modules DDR2 800MHz)
Firmware: RAIDiator 4.2.5
RAID Info: RAID Level 1, 6 disks installed
Original 3 x Seagate 500Gig (mirror set plus Hot Spare)
Added 3 x Seagate 1 Ter (mirror set plus Hot Spare)
4 Volumes (2 per mirror set) with 2 iSCSI targets (1 per Mirror Set)
[size=50]Volume C: Online, RAID Level 1, 2 disks, 0% of 150 GB used
Volume D: Online, RAID Level 1, 2 disks, 96% of 308 GB used
Volume E: Online, RAID Level 1, 2 disks, 0% of 501 GB used
Volume F: Online, RAID Level 1, 2 disks, 97% of 421 GB used
2 x WD Elements USB HD (1 x NTFS + 1 x Ext3)
UPS (via USB) UPS 1 MGE UPS SYSTEMS NOVA 1100 AVR, Battery charge: 100%, 16 minutes
Network Router/Switch Info: Multiple Netgear, TP-Link, Linksys, Cisco, KTI, HP, etc.
Computers: 2x Sun V40Z (Multiple VMware VMs and MS Server 2008 Ent), 1x HP ML110 (MS SBS2003 Prem), ASUS Servers, Intel Servers, Multiple other White Box Servers and Workstation various OS and Configs (Red Hat, Fedora, Win 98-Win7, NT4, DOS, Apple, etc.[/size]
aanetcon
ReadyNAS Newbie

Postby mdgm » Thu Oct 29, 2009 4:09 pm

Rather than take such a drastic step to factory default, it would have been better to post on the forums.

EnableRootSSH is only recommended for advanced users. Questions about it are usually answered on the forums.
mdgm
NETGEAR ReadyNAS Technical Expert

ReadyNAS: RN516

Postby SiegeX » Sat Jan 30, 2010 8:33 pm

I have this same exact problem. I am not the original owner of the ReadyNAS so I don't know what the original admin password was set to, nor do I know how to contact the previous owner. I've gone into frontview and changed the admin password and it still refuses to login as the 'root' user. I should note that in the 'Installed Add-ons' in frontview, I do not see anything listed referring to SSH, the only listing is 'ReadyNAS Remote'. On a whim I tried 'netgear1' and that did not work either.

What recourse do I have besides a factory reset, and will a factory reset touch any of the data on my disks?

Thanks

P.S.
I just installed 4.2.9 firmware prior to installing EnableRootSSH
SiegeX
ReadyNAS Newbie

Postby mdgm » Sat Jan 30, 2010 8:41 pm

SiegeX wrote:I should note that in the 'Installed Add-ons' in frontview, I do not see anything listed referring to SSH

Enabling Root SSH access is irreversible and has no need for a web interface.
SiegeX wrote:What recourse do I have besides a factory reset, and will a factory reset touch any of the data on my disks?

A factory reset, wipes all data, settings, everything. After a factory reset, all data is gone, and is pretty much unrecoverable.

Rather than going down that drastic route, there is something else you can try first:

Go to System > Config Backup and download a zip of the configuration. Unzip the file and go to the /etc/shadow file. Modify the line for root to be the same as the line for admin except for the username of course. zip the config backup up again and restore using Frontview.

You should then be able to login using SSH using username root and the password currently set for admin.

If you have problems with this you can contact technical support and possibly send a PM to chirpa and it should be any easy fix for a L3 or greater tech from NetGear to fix your system.

guest1 wrote:i got it. i dont know why, but, the root got the default pwd netgear1...

You can easily change this using the passwd command when logged in to SSH as root.
Code: Select all
MDGMs-macbook:~ MDGM$ ssh root@ip.address.of.nas
root@ip.address.of.nas's password:
Linux MDGM-NAS 2.6.17.8ReadyNAS #1 Tue Jun 9 18:34:15 PDT 2009 padre unknown
MDGM-NAS:~# passwd
Enter new UNIX password:
Retype new UNIX password:
passwd: password updated successfully
mdgm

Postby BigBearf » Sat Jan 30, 2010 9:54 pm

@mdgm
Thanks for the tip regarding password change via SSH. It worked like a charm. Learn something new everyday.
bigbearf
Product#1: ReadyNAS Pro 6-4 GB from NASHQ.com (2 GB X2 Modules) 3968 MB [4-5-5-18 DDR2]
RAIDiator Version: RAIDiator-x86 Version: 4.2.26
RAID Info: RAID Level X-RAID2, 6 disks
Hard Disk Brand, Model & Capacity: Western Digital Two-WD20EADS-00R6B0 TLER ON & WDIDLE /D
Hard Disk Brand, Model & Capacity: Western Digital Four-WD2003FYYS
ReadyNAS Security Mode: User
No. Hard Disk currently installed: 6
USB Drive Attached: LaCie Rugged Hard Disk FireWire 400 & 800 | Hi-Speed USB 2.0 500GB formatted EXT3
Product# 2 ReadyNAS 51600
RAIDiator Version: RAIDiator Version: 6.1.8
RAID Info: RAID Level X-RAID2, 5 disks
Hard disks Western Digital SE 4 TB drives x5
USB Drive Attached: Western Digital My Passport | Hi-Speed USB 3.0 2TB formatted NTFS
Network Router/Switch Info: Airport Extreme Dual Channel, Netgear GS608 Gigabit Switches X4, Apple Time Capsule 1 TB Dual Channel and Time Capsule 3 TB
UPS: APC Back-UPS RS 1500 LCD
Computers:MBPx3 using Mavericks 10.9.x, iMac using Mavericks 10.9.x, OLD Windoze XP Dell, Mac Mini Server as HTPC using Plex and Harmony 900 Remote and Monoprice HDMI adapter. Apple TV 1G and Apple TV 2Gx2 jail broken and using Plex Client , iPhone 5x3, iPhone4x1 and iPad Airs that I use as remotes to Plex and Apple TV. The iPad 3 and Airs recently used as remote to ATV2 and streaming from RNPP.
Direct TV HR2xs
BigBearf
ReadyNAS Expert

Postby mdgm » Sat Jan 30, 2010 10:01 pm

BigBearf wrote:@mdgm
Thanks for the tip regarding password change via SSH. It worked like a charm. Learn something new everyday.
bigbearf

Yeah, I sometimes say that too. After a firmware re-install, my backup NAS had it's SSH password reset to default. I then learnt how to change it using SSH. There's a lot you can do on the command line.

When you first install the EnableRootSSH add-on, the password hash will be the same for admin and root. Once you change either, even if you then change the other, the password hash will be different. This isn't really that important though.
mdgm

Postby SiegeX » Mon Feb 01, 2010 1:41 pm

mdgm wrote:Go to System > Config Backup and download a zip of the configuration. Unzip the file and go to the /etc/shadow file. Modify the line for root to be the same as the line for admin except for the username of course. zip the config backup up again and restore using Frontview.

That is an awesome tip and I can apply that to more than just the shadow file. I could use this method to alter /etc/hosts on our production system without needing to enable SSH.

Thanks!
SiegeX
ReadyNAS Newbie

Postby mdgm » Mon Feb 01, 2010 2:28 pm

SiegeX wrote:That is an awesome tip

Yeah. I think chirpa came up with it. I think I read him making it recently.
mdgm

Return to Installation and Upgrade