Long Dead X6. Recommendations?

Please post question and issues pertaining to installation and upgrade here.

Long Dead X6. Recommendations?

Postby kcl » Fri Jun 24, 2011 8:09 pm

I have an X6 that died from water damage. The water apparently shorted out the board but the drives seemed to spin up fine. After an unfathomable amount of red tape, I should be getting some compensation from my insurance company for a replacement. The water spilled down from a leak in the roof and ran into the cage and I don't think the drives actually got wet.

So, two questions:

1) What's a fair, currently retail-available equivalent to the X6? (My research tends toward the RNDP400U, but I'd like a second, third or fourth opinion!)

2) And based on that equivalent (and assuming the data on my drives is still intact), can I just plug them into the new device and move forward from there? I *think* I had upgraded the firmware to the lastest (the thing died last April!) before it's death. I was using whatever the X-RAID version was at the time.

Thanks for any help!

Scott.
kcl
ReadyNAS Newbie

Re: Long Dead X6. Recommendations?

Postby mdgm » Fri Jun 24, 2011 8:40 pm

1. The Ultra 4 Plus (RNDP400U) lacks business features (you may not need these). I'd probably consider the Pro 4 (RNDP4000) the currently retail-available equivalent. Do you remember how much the X6 cost when you bought it?

2. Provided disks are fine you can move the disks to a Sparc ReadyNAS e.g. the NV+ (http://www.readynas.com/kb/faq/boot/how_do_i_migrate_disks_over_from_an_existing_readynas_to_another). Migration to a x86 model (e.g. Ultra, Pro) from your X6 is not possible.

I'd be inclined to get an x86 model as a replacement from the insurance company. Then see if you have a friend who has a Sparc ReadyNAS you can borrow to recover your data.

If not, perhaps purchase a NV+ (could use this as a NAS to backup the new device).

As a last resort you could try data recovery using Linux. Depending on when you last factory reset the unit the steps using a Linux machine may be a bit different. If you last factory reset on RAIDiator 4.x, the instructions are here: http://home.bott.ca/webserver/?p=306
mdgm
NETGEAR ReadyNAS Technical Expert

ReadyNAS: RN516

Postby kcl » Fri Jun 24, 2011 8:58 pm

I was trying to compare the systems. Can you give me a rundown of the major differences between the RNDP4000 and RNDP400U? I do use this for my home business (contract programming).

When I got the X6, it was around the same price as the Pro is today.

Very disappointing that I can't just move the disks -- XRAID 2 is not compatible with the previous versions,with no migration facility? That makes little sense, especially given the high quality of the Infrant (netgear) products.

I think I have a spare PC about somewhere that I could cannibalize into a *NIX box. It's been quite awhile (I went Mac and haven't loaded a driver in years!) -- so would the basic process be: Get LINUX running on a boot disk, plug the four disks into the box, connect to the new NAS device and then run some recovery utility that would transfer the data?

Thanks for the quick response, by the way!

Scott.
kcl
ReadyNAS Newbie

Postby mdgm » Fri Jun 24, 2011 9:10 pm

kcl wrote:I was trying to compare the systems. Can you give me a rundown of the major differences between the RNDP4000 and RNDP400U? I do use this for my home business (contract programming).

You can take a look at http://www.readynas.com/?cat=49

Pro 4 has 5 year warranty vs 3 years on Ultra. For warranty alone I'd want the Pro 4. Then there's business features like NIC Teaming/Bonding, Rsync over SSH, AD Integration (unlikely to use this one at home), snapshot feature etc.
kcl wrote:Very disappointing that I can't just move the disks -- XRAID 2 is not compatible with the previous versions,with no migration facility? That makes little sense, especially given the high quality of the Infrant (netgear) products.

The x86 (Intel) architecture is quite different to the Sparc architecture. The OS had to be rewritten for the x86 systems. Unfortunately migration of disks from Sparc to x86 is not possible. It's pretty much the only negative I can think of regarding the move to x86
kcl wrote:I think I have a spare PC about somewhere that I could cannibalize into a *NIX box. It's been quite awhile (I went Mac and haven't loaded a driver in years!) -- so would the basic process be: Get LINUX running on a boot disk, plug the four disks into the box, connect to the new NAS device and then run some recovery utility that would transfer the data?

You can mount the disks following the link I gave earlier then transfer the data across to the new NAS.
mdgm
NETGEAR ReadyNAS Technical Expert

ReadyNAS: RN516

Return to Installation and Upgrade