Replacing a single NAS drive

Please post question and issues pertaining to expansion here.

Replacing a single NAS drive

Postby yopops69 » Mon Mar 16, 2009 7:44 am

i own a fs116 with 4 seagate st 3500630ns 465gb drives that has been working fine for well over a year. one of my computers is developing drive problems so rather than replace it with a new drive i was going to remove one of those 465 from the nas and put in in the puter and re ghost it and than replace the one drive with one that's larger. and than over time as diff drives fail do the same until all the drives get updated in the nas to larger ones

so my question is can i remove only 1 drive at a time and will the nas allocate properly and continue to work. if yes which drive should i add to the nas unit when i take out 1 of the 465. also do i need to shut down the unit to swap out the drive or do it while the unit is running

tks in advance
yopops69
ReadyNAS Newbie

Re: Replacing a single NAS drive

Postby dbott67 » Mon Mar 16, 2009 8:17 am

I think the FS116 is a switch, not the NAS. Do you have an NV+?

If so, and you've got it configured in X-RAID mode, you should be able to remove one of the 465 GB drives and use it in another device.

My recommendation is this:

1. Backup your data first. If required, purchase an external USB drive that is capable of backing up your entire data volume (1.5 TB should suffice).

2. Purchase the replacement drive for the NAS before removing the the drive. Make sure the new drive is on the Hardware Compatibility List.

3. The NV+ supports hot-swap, so you can just pull one of the drives (it doesn't matter which one), wait 10-20 seconds and then insert the new replacement. The NV+ should detect the removal and subsequent "hot add" event and begin initializing the drive and then re-sync the data. This process can take a number of hours.

4. Insert the old drive in your computer and re-format/ghost as desired. Keep in mind that the ReadyNAS uses SATA drives and your computer may still use PATA/IDE.
dbott67
ReadyNAS Fanatic

ReadyNAS: Pro

Postby paulm2008 » Mon Mar 16, 2009 10:12 am

Supposing therefore I wanted to replace one of my 500GB HDD's in my ReadyNas Duo with a 750GB. Here you would recommend I get two HDD's. One 500GB the back up the contents of my current configuration and then buy another 750GB HDD to undertake the upgrade. This appears to go against the whole principle of the RAID-X system, the redundency factor was the reason I opted for a Netgear ReadyNas rather than simply an external hard drive enclosue with a network attachement.

That being said there is an article on how to backup the ready NAS using an Acronis tool, least this ensures the size of the backup be kept to a minimum [assuming I do not have to backup my Acronis backup as well !!!]

Regards

Paul
CM831Stacker:Q9450:StrikerIIFormula[2001]:8GB-8500CL5:9800GX2:1010WPSU:G15/G5:ReadyNAS2250:RAID0:RAID1:CanonMX850
paulm2008
ReadyNAS User

Postby yopops69 » Mon Mar 16, 2009 10:45 am

yep. fs116 is a switch, lol

nas unit is a ready NAS NV+ conf X-Raid

i guess the extra back up is just extra insurance to make sure that the raid features are really working

tks
yopops69
ReadyNAS Newbie

Postby dbott67 » Mon Mar 16, 2009 2:00 pm

Actually, one of the common misconceptions of RAID technology in general is that it equals a backup. It does not. RAID technology can provide some sort of redundancy/resiliency/tolerance against certain types of failures, but it does not replace the need for backing up data.

Things like fire, flood, theft, user error, catastrophic hardware failure, etc. can all render NAS systems totally useless. In most cases, X-RAID performs exactly as it should --- easy expansion and fault-tolerance. In rare cases, a bad disk during an upgrade, a corrupt firmware or some other problem can keep your NAS off-line for longer than desired. A backup of your data on an external USB device provides another layer of fault-tolerance.

So, my point is that you should always have a backup regardless of what technology you're using.

-Dave
dbott67
ReadyNAS Fanatic

Postby yopops69 » Mon Mar 16, 2009 4:03 pm

Good points. any recommendations for a decent usb backup device

tks again
yopops69
ReadyNAS Newbie

Postby dbott67 » Mon Mar 16, 2009 4:21 pm

Well, the guys at Netgear recommend keeping a 2nd ReadyNAS Pro off-site somewhere! :lol:

Actually, I would recommend a decent external USB enclosure that supports SATA and PATA/IDE drives, as well as USB, Firewire & eSATA interfaces. This way, you can use the enclosure to use both newer and older drive types, as well as connect to different computers/devices.

I can't give you any recommendations, but something like this has most of the features:

http://www.usb-ware.com/usb-2-enclosure ... stu35k.htm

My main feature would be support for both SATA & IDE/PATA drives with USB. Firewire and eSATA are not needed by me, as I do not have any devices that support either technology.

Check the HCL first, though:

http://www.readynas.com/?page_id=89
dbott67
ReadyNAS Fanatic

Return to Expansion