How to resize / remove the snapshot reserved space ?

Please post question and issues pertaining to expansion here.

How to resize / remove the snapshot reserved space ?

Postby Dwarf » Wed Feb 24, 2010 11:49 am

Hi there,

I've got a question about the snapshot space on ReadyNAS Pro.

I saw on this topic (viewtopic.php?f=66&t=35266) that since 4.2.7 firmware, the "resize snapshot" option has disapeared from the frontview. Unfortunately my RNDP is in 4.2.9 :(

But ... (because there is a but :p) I got an ssh access to my NAS, and I found a script called "resize_snapshot" into /frontview/bin directory. This script seems to be used to manage the snapshot volume space (increase it or reduce it).

My question is simple, can anyone of you tell me how to use this script ? Is it as simple as "/frontview/bin/resize_snapshot <arg>" where <arg> is the volume space desired in % ??

I read that space cannot be set under 1% of total volume space (viewtopic.php?p=54465#p54465) when the operation is made from the frontview.. Is there a chance here that we can set the size to 0% ??

Thanks for your help !

@++
Dwarf
Dwarf
ReadyNAS User

Re: How to resize / remove the snapshot reserved space ?

Postby mdgm » Wed Feb 24, 2010 2:13 pm

Do you have a Pro Business Edition or Pro Pioneer?
mdgm
NETGEAR ReadyNAS Technical Expert

ReadyNAS: RN516

Postby Dwarf » Wed Feb 24, 2010 3:34 pm

Hi mdgm,

My ReadyNas is a Pro Business Edition
Dwarf
ReadyNAS User

Postby mdgm » Wed Feb 24, 2010 3:38 pm

I think the advice I've read elsewhere on the forum for your issue is to either backup all your data and factory default or wait for the re-enabling of snapshot resizing in a future version of the RAIDiator x86 firmware
mdgm

Postby Dwarf » Thu Feb 25, 2010 6:50 am

OK thanks!

I'll wait till this option is re-enabled unless one of the readynas master give me the right syntax of the script command :)

@++
Dwarf
Dwarf
ReadyNAS User

Postby Knothaid » Wed Apr 14, 2010 6:46 am

I would like to add to this....I also have a ReadyNas Pro and I am running 4.2.9....Well I am adding disks to the original 3 disk config and EVERYTHING is being allocated to the snapshot! I now have more snapshot space than I have online storage space and I still have one more disk to add. WTHeck?????

This needs to be fixed ASAP or this system is useless. I need drive space, not snapshot space!
Knothaid
ReadyNAS User

ReadyNAS: 2100

Postby Jedi Knight » Thu Apr 15, 2010 12:48 pm

Knothaid:

Have you try this?

Step(s):
1. Make sure disk spindown feature is disable.
2. Make sure "Disable Journaling" Feature in System->Performance tab is uncheck.
3. Reboot the unit. You might needs to reboot twice.. but make sure you give 5-10mintues between each reboot.
Jedi Knight
Jedi Council Alumni

ReadyNAS: Pro

Postby Knothaid » Fri Apr 16, 2010 7:21 am

Yes, in fact, it would not grow the volume until those things were done. I now have 1.9T of Snapshot space and 1.7T of storage space and one spare drive. All disks are exactly the same model Seagates.

Edit> Of course it would only grow one disk at a time and it took a reboot each time to make it happen. It reported one disk had data on it and I needed to either remove for 10 seconds and reinsert or reboot. There was no data on it that I could tell, it was new out of the package same as the other two. Each disk took about 48 hours to resize the volume.
Last edited by Knothaid on Fri Apr 16, 2010 7:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Knothaid
ReadyNAS User

Postby mdgm » Fri Apr 16, 2010 7:26 am

You can contact technical support (see link in my sig) for help if you like. Post your case number in this thread.
mdgm

Postby Knothaid » Mon Apr 19, 2010 8:46 am

I find the relay to support kinda confusing. You are asking me to go pay for them to fix something that was not broke until they "fixed" it. Yet here we have a support forum for just such answers and many time you direct folks away...So perhaps there is no point to the forums????
Knothaid
ReadyNAS User

Postby mdgm » Mon Apr 19, 2010 3:28 pm

The Jedi can help out us users in some situations. But just answering a question won't necessarily help. If you can contact support (if outside of first 90 days you need to contact using Online Submission unless you've purchased extended phone support) and get a case number, then the Jedi may be able to look at that and take some pity on you if you're not getting anywhere. But they are not support. It's nice to show if you can that you've tried to work through the problem with support. If your NAS is still under warranty you should have no problems with Online Submissions to Technical Support. If you have a Pro, unless you've voided the warranty (e.g. by unsupported hardware modifications) you should be still under warranty.

I forgot something before. If you have a Pioneer and have an issue with a snapshot, try this add-on: RemSnap add-on.
mdgm

Postby Knothaid » Tue Apr 20, 2010 7:14 am

Thank you, makes more sense now. I do have a Pro and a 2100,

I will add, setting to Default is NOT a reasonable fix for a business system. That is the only solution I have seen so far. Hoping that a more reasonable one appears either through my efforts or the efforts of others who also seem quite frustrated that this issue even exists at all.
Knothaid
ReadyNAS User

Postby Knothaid » Thu Apr 22, 2010 5:42 am

mdgm wrote:You can contact technical support (see link in my sig) for help if you like. Post your case number in this thread.

Here is my case number: 11923684, Apparently if you have the Pro Business and you have upgraded to anything that has the Snapshot disabled you are SOL. I find this incredible that in essence a business product still in its useful service life has been rendered useless for a major portion of its designed features. I hope this is not the case, but with the Snapshot disabled and one of the main selling features of being able to dynamically add storage, I am afraid the current facts point to that conclusion. Obviously I am disappointed, but still hopeful. This is a production machine and currently I am screwed and destined for a LOT of extra work to get what we paid for. :(
Knothaid
ReadyNAS User

Postby kboudre » Wed May 05, 2010 10:14 am

Has anyone heard anymore on this? From what I have seen even the Beta's being released have snapshot resizing turned off.
NAS 1: ReadyNAS Pro Bus. Edition : 8192 MB RAM : 1 x 500 GB Seagate 5 x 1500 GB Seagate: Raidiator 4.2.17
NAS 2: ReadyNAS Duo : 1024 MB RAM : 2 x 500 GB Seagate : Raidiator 4.1.7
kboudre
ReadyNAS User

ReadyNAS: Pro

Postby Knothaid » Fri May 07, 2010 7:59 am

kboudre wrote:Has anyone heard anymore on this? From what I have seen even the Beta's being released have snapshot resizing turned off.

Netgear is disconcertingly quiet on this MAJOR issue. It is causing disruption in the business community, so the underlying problem must be big for this kind of action (or non action depending on your perspective). Frankly, I will no longer recommend Ready NAS to any business user/IT professional because of this. They are not even sharing this information with 1st level support, so they lead you to believe there is no possible solution but to move you data off the NAS and then completely reset it to the factory defaults to accomplish what the Snapshot interface used to allow. This move in essence renders the X-raid useless as sold. I will also comment that since it has been neglected in several updates to Radiator and no offer of a timeline, it does not appear serious to Netgear. Assumptions on anecdotal evidence on these boards and support cases for sure, but that is all we can do since Netgear is not talking about it and we have only the answers/non answers to our questions and pleas for support on this issue.
Knothaid
ReadyNAS User

Next

Return to Expansion