How to resize / remove the snapshot reserved space ?

Please post question and issues pertaining to expansion here.

Re: How to resize / remove the snapshot reserved space ?

Postby Jedi Knight » Fri May 07, 2010 2:38 pm

The release note clearly state that "Snapshot resizing is disable in the firmware release" as current limitation..http://www.readynas.com/?p=3501
Jedi Knight
Jedi Council Alumni

ReadyNAS: Pro

Postby kboudre » Sat May 08, 2010 9:53 am

Jedi Knight wrote:The release note clearly state that "Snapshot resizing is disable in the firmware release" as current limitation..http://www.readynas.com/?p=3501

Clearly stating "Snapshot resizing is disable in the firmware release" is not the same as saying once you install this firmware version any new drive space will go to snapshots and not usable space.

So after adding a new 1.5TB drive I now have 961GB assigned to the snapshots not used volumes space. That is my complaint.
NAS 1: ReadyNAS Pro Bus. Edition : 8192 MB RAM : 1 x 500 GB Seagate 5 x 1500 GB Seagate: Raidiator 4.2.17
NAS 2: ReadyNAS Duo : 1024 MB RAM : 2 x 500 GB Seagate : Raidiator 4.1.7
kboudre
ReadyNAS User

Postby Jedi Knight » Mon May 10, 2010 8:59 pm

kboudre wrote:
Jedi Knight wrote:The release note clearly state that "Snapshot resizing is disable in the firmware release" as current limitation..http://www.readynas.com/?p=3501

Clearly stating "Snapshot resizing is disable in the firmware release" is not the same as saying once you install this firmware version any new drive space will go to snapshots and not usable space.

So after adding a new 1.5TB drive I now have 961GB assigned to the snapshots not used volumes space. That is my complaint.

In your case, you had enable disk spin down or disable journaling options as it was a expected behavior for multiple disks hot-add not to expand the volume. Disks are being process one disk at the time for data volume expansion and once the process is incomplete, the free space is added to snapshot space and indeed you will need to reboot to continue the expansion. Right after the 1st disk expansion, unit will retry another available disk for expansion after reboot. At that time, the 2nd and 3rd disk has been in the system (due to hot-add process that created the root/swap partitions) and being used before (as it had root data on those drive). So it asked you to hot-remove and hot-add the disk to re-try the expansion again as we do not blindly erase the disk for expansion during cold boot up.

If you do not had those options enable in 1st place, you shouldn't need to reboot your system for expansion as disk will be expand one disk at the time w/o adding the free space to snapshot reserved.

Hope this explain and I had suggested to add clear content (text) in hot-add event message.
Jedi Knight
Jedi Council Alumni

Postby kboudre » Thu May 13, 2010 4:31 am

I am not sure what you are trying to tell me. I was only adding one drive. I do have disable Full data journaling set.
NAS 1: ReadyNAS Pro Bus. Edition : 8192 MB RAM : 1 x 500 GB Seagate 5 x 1500 GB Seagate: Raidiator 4.2.17
NAS 2: ReadyNAS Duo : 1024 MB RAM : 2 x 500 GB Seagate : Raidiator 4.1.7
kboudre
ReadyNAS User

Postby Knothaid » Thu May 13, 2010 9:27 am

kboudre wrote:

I beg to differ with you that these options outlined should actually work. In my case, NO disk resize would happen without changing them and the Frontview software also suggested changing them. It would not do an actual resize at all without them being set properly. When it did the resize, it automatically assigned the space to Snapshot. And it left the 6th disk out altogether having done the other two one at a a time.

But that is beside the point. The fact is that the dynamic resize is the MAJOR selling point of Netgear X-Raid product line. The MAJOR selling point is fubar and non functional at worst, and flaky and needing a bunch of massage at best....And the ONLY stated correction for a business user who is using the product in a production environment is you are SOL, back up your data somewhere else, take it offline and reset the entire unit to factory default. Then begin restoring data, iSCSI drives etc. This solution makes the product totally unacceptable as a business product. Netgear needs to do better than this if they are serious about the business class at all. So far, the company has buried their head in the sand over a MAJOR flaw. Nothing personal, but there are no other facts to show another conclusion....it has been disabled for what... at least 3 updates? There is no date to re-enable. There is no urgency shown at all. Imagine if MS SQL Server could not do queries but was otherwise functional sometime after rollout in production environments and a few updates.....That, IMO, is how serious this issue is in a business environment with regards to storage. You cannot dismiss it to say that it was stated....heck the first time it was added after the fact as an oversight brought up by a forum member IIRC. If you have your unit set to auto update, no notification exists at all either. Things to consider.
Knothaid
ReadyNAS User

ReadyNAS: 2100

Postby hbroadie » Thu Apr 07, 2011 2:47 pm

*Bump*

Sorry, I see that the firmware released earlier this week still has the snapshot resizing disabled. I followed jedi's advice and disabled spin-down and unchecked the disable journaling option.

I had three 1.5TB drives in my ReadyNas Pro and added a fourth 1.5TB. My online storage did not increase but I now have 1.4TB of snapshot volume. I have rebooted multiple times and I have even tried resyncing the fourth drive. Any other help would be appreciated besides backing up and resetting the ReadyNas since I would need to buy a 3TB hard drive to back up onto. No need to point out that I should be backing up the ReadyNas regularly anyway. :)

Has anyone tried the removed "PRO-RemSnap_1.1" add-on.

Thanks.
hbroadie
ReadyNAS Newbie

Postby timallen » Mon Apr 11, 2011 11:11 pm

I have exactly the same problem - I have just added a third 2TB disk to an existing 2X2TB setup. I now have 2TB of usable space and 2TB reserved for snapshots - not what I was going for!

Could someone clarify the correct procedure for adding a disk without it being used as snapshot space??
timallen
ReadyNAS Newbie

Postby timallen » Wed Apr 13, 2011 4:42 pm

I would really appreciate if anyone could offer suggestions re my problem above since, as others have stated, this is a major issue - I need to add more storage to our NAS before we use up remaining space and I do not want to have to rebuild it.
timallen
ReadyNAS Newbie

Postby fuko747 » Fri Aug 12, 2011 9:14 am

I'm also planning to add more storage space to my Readynas Pro Business. Has this issue with growing snapshot space when adding a new drive been resolved?
If not, when is the resizing of snapshot space going to be enabled again, so we can reduce its size after adding a drive?

Thanks
fuko747
ReadyNAS Newbie

Postby jerryk » Sat Aug 13, 2011 5:14 am

fuko747 wrote:I'm also planning to add more storage space to my Readynas Pro Business. Has this issue with growing snapshot space when adding a new drive been resolved?
If not, when is the resizing of snapshot space going to be enabled again, so we can reduce its size after adding a drive?

Thanks

I don't think it has been resolved. I just replaced 2 of my 1 TB drives with 2 TB drives and my snapshot size went from 10 GB to 971 GB. It might be time to look at other vendors if Netgear cannot fix the snapshot issue.
jerryk
Advanced ReadyNAS User

Postby pinkbits » Sat Oct 22, 2011 10:15 pm

Has anyone got a fix for this?

I had 1/4 2tb drives fail, so I figured I'd expand the storage by a drive.

I pulled the failed drive, and inserted both of the new drives. Took approx a day to restripe. I logged in and it had allocated all 2tb of the new drive to the bloody snapshot.

Please help!
pinkbits
ReadyNAS Newbie

Postby mtakacs » Tue Apr 03, 2012 11:09 am

I think i just ran into the need to resize my snapshot space:

my readynas just told me:
Snapshot on volume C was invalidated and has been removed due to reserve space being completely used.

I noticed that release notes *still* say - http://www.readynas.com/?cat=47

Snapshot resizing is disabled in the release. We will re-enable this feature in a future update.

im not clear what my options are at this point.

-tak
NAS: 516, ProPioneer ::6 x 4.0TB Seagate ST4000DM000:: 6.1.4
Network: ATT Uverse - Cat6 / Netgear GS108T x2
Clients: OS X 10.9 / iOS
mtakacs
ReadyNAS Newbie

Postby AtwooTM » Sat Apr 28, 2012 8:19 am

Hard to believe, but it's been two years and snapshot resizing remains disabled. Can anyone at Netgear provide guidance on what is taking so long?
AtwooTM
ReadyNAS Newbie

Postby pinkbits » Sat Apr 28, 2012 8:58 am

Netgear's 'fix' was for my data partition to magically dissapear, removing the requirement to figure out how to remove the snapshot space without interfering with the data partition.
pinkbits
ReadyNAS Newbie

Postby atreadwell » Mon May 07, 2012 3:33 pm

Having just purchased a Pro6, and on doing some research to decide on flexraid vs x-raid, i find this!!!

Is anybody at Netgear able to clarify the situation? It appears from reading this post, that expanding the nas size, without removing all data, is no longer possible??

isn't that the ONLY major selling point of the readyNAS and why i chose to pay more? I need to understand this before i get into building and configuring the unit in case there's something i can set in anticipation of inevitable expansion.

Has anybody discovered anything new to avoid this issue? a step by step to adding disks 'the right way' maybe?
atreadwell
ReadyNAS Newbie

PreviousNext

Return to Expansion