NV+ Constantly initializing new disk

Please post question and issues pertaining to expansion here.

NV+ Constantly initializing new disk

Postby Natator » Tue Oct 05, 2010 7:51 pm

Hi, have just got a new NV+ complete with brand new HDD's (all same make/model).

I added the first disk and the second and all went well, exactly as expected.

I have now added disk 3 and it has gone through the initialization process. When it completed it told me to reboot the NV+. However, when I rebooted it restarted the initialization of the new disk.

It is currently initializing the disk for the fourth time.

I can't work out what I am doing wrong. Has anyone else had this happen?
Natator
ReadyNAS Newbie

ReadyNAS: NV+

Re: NV+ Constantly initializing new disk

Postby mdgm » Tue Oct 05, 2010 7:57 pm

What version of RAIDiator?

What model disks? Are they on the HCL?
mdgm
NETGEAR ReadyNAS Technical Expert

ReadyNAS: RN516

Postby chirpa » Tue Oct 05, 2010 8:59 pm

Do you have four disks? If so, can you remove the flakey disk and put in the remaining one? See if it completes.

Also, why not put them all in at once and do a factory default? Much cleaner then slowly growing it.
chirpa
Jedi Council Alumni

ReadyNAS: Repertoire

Postby Natator » Wed Oct 06, 2010 2:26 am

mdgm wrote:What version of RAIDiator?

What model disks? Are they on the HCL

I updates RAIDiator when I got the unit a couple of days ago, so the latest version I am sure.

Seagate ST32000542AS (2TB) which are on the list.

chirpa wrote:Do you have four disks? If so, can you remove the flakey disk and put in the remaining one? See if it completes.

Also, why not put them all in at once and do a factory default? Much cleaner then slowly growing it.

I'll try the other disk unless .....

I thought adding disks gradually would be best, but maybe doing it in one hit is.

As I already have data on the device (less than half one of the HDD's worth) can I get away with removing all but disk 1, reboot etc, then add the remaining 3 disks at once?

Is there anything else I need to do to get to factory default?

Thanks in advance :)
Natator
ReadyNAS Newbie

Postby mdgm » Wed Oct 06, 2010 2:31 am

Natator wrote:I'll try the other disk

Yes, do that.
Natator wrote:unless .....

I thought adding disks gradually would be best, but maybe doing it in one hit is.

Opinions differ. It may be easier to determine which disk is bad if adding one at a time.
Natator wrote:As I already have data on the device (less than half one of the HDD's worth) can I get away with removing all but disk 1, reboot etc, then add the remaining 3 disks at once?

No. That would cause catastrophic failure of your volume. You need the two good disks, disk 1 and 2 installed.
Natator wrote:Is there anything else I need to do to get to factory default?

If you wish to go down the factory default route, you would backup all data, verify backup is good, do a System > Config Backup power down, put all good disks in the NAS, factory default (http://www.readynas.com/forum/faq.php#How_do_I_reset_the_ReadyNAS_to_factory_default%3F), restore Config backup, restore data from backup.
mdgm
NETGEAR ReadyNAS Technical Expert

ReadyNAS: RN516

Postby Natator » Fri Oct 08, 2010 6:46 pm

Update on this one, while I am backing everything up, as I'd prefer to avoid a factory reset if possible .....

I ignored "Disk 3" and added another (matching) 2TB drive in slot 4. That added correctectly, initialized and then expanded. So, I had a perfectly working 3 disk RAID-X.

I added the final disk (in slot 3). It initialized and is now just sitting there, and has been for almost a day. Light on the front panel for this disk is not lit, but it shows as lit via the web interface.

In the web interface it shows this final disk as "available" bit it is not part of the RAID set and is doing nothing.

Last entry in the log file says: "One or more expansion disks will be initialized and scanned for bad blocks. You will receive an email when the initialization is complete. Online volume expansion will start automatically at that time." However, volume expansion never started.

Ideas anyone to avoid factory reset?
Natator
ReadyNAS Newbie

Postby PapaBear » Fri Oct 08, 2010 8:02 pm

First - continue the backup. Remember the NAS is not a backup plan and a backup is always a good thing to have and never need. I would go ahead and remove the disk in slot 3. Then go into Frontview and see if the array is listed as redundant in the volume settings page. If it has never accepted the disk, it should be.

Then connect the suspect disk to a PC via SATA connection and run Seatools to check the disk. If it tests bad, it should be RMA'd.
Remember - the NAS is not a backup plan.

Backup = Good, No Backup = Bad
PapaBear
ReadyNAS Junkie

ReadyNAS: NVX

Postby Natator » Sat Oct 09, 2010 6:55 pm

Thanks to everyone for their help here. Here is what happened in the end, in case anyone else has the same problem ....

The disk that kept initializing didn't turn up any problems when tested, despite the fact it kept initializing and getting no further.

In the end I backed up all the files and did a factory reset.

This time I had all 4 disks in place when it started up again.

Everything started up fine, it then synced, and I ended up with exactly what I expected:

5500 Gb storage (i.e. 3x 2TB disks) and redundancy (i.e. the fourth 2TB disk).

So, no idea why it got its knickers in a twist but all good now.
Natator
ReadyNAS Newbie

Postby bashir » Wed Mar 30, 2011 10:50 pm

how long did the initialisation take ?
as i'm currently doing the same process - factory reset with 4 x Seagate ST32000542AS (2TB) CC35 firmware.
mine has sat for an hour and am still waiting ....
bashir
ReadyNAS Newbie

Postby BFG » Thu Jun 09, 2011 1:44 pm

Hi, I just put in the first of one of these disks. Raidiator 4.1.7 says "Initializing" for about an hour and nothing else.

A bit worrying as I had an email report saying "Disk fail event occurred on SATA channel 4." But that was shortly after I pulled the old drive.

After an hour, the status is still "Initializing" but I got a new email

Disk initialization started. The estimated time of completion is 17 hour(s) and 39 minute(s), at which time you will be notified via email. You can also check the progress in Frontview in the Volumes -> RAID Settings tab. Please do not shutdown the system while the initialization is in progress.

So, keep an eye on the logs I guess.
READYNAS NV+ (v1) 2 TB RND4450 Running 4.1.12, upgraded to 8 TB with 4x Seagate ST2000DL003-9VT166
BFG
ReadyNAS User

Postby BFG » Sat Jun 11, 2011 7:21 am

Actually I've now run into this problem.

2TB Barracuda Green ST2000DL003
ReadyNas NV+ with raidiator 4.1.7

First disc was fine. 2nd disc swap, init started, and then the ReadyNAS became unavailable to anything but ping. About 2hr later I got an email saying as above. Just now, the front panel says "Disk 3 Init" there are no drive LEDs lit and the act LED flashes every 30 seconds or so, which suggests something has gone wrong.

I still have the original disc available. Is it safe to interrupt the device? SHould I power it off, or hot-swap back to the old disk?
READYNAS NV+ (v1) 2 TB RND4450 Running 4.1.12, upgraded to 8 TB with 4x Seagate ST2000DL003-9VT166
BFG
ReadyNAS User

Postby chirpa » Wed Jun 15, 2011 6:14 pm

Best to contact tech support at this point to troubleshoot it deeper.
chirpa
Jedi Council Alumni

ReadyNAS: Repertoire

Return to Expansion