How to change port for HTTP access?

Please post questions that doesn't fall into the above categories here.

How to change port for HTTP access?

Postby shortskoolbus » Sun Oct 04, 2009 5:46 am

My ISP blocks port 80, I am trying to use the ReadyNas as a web server and would like access via HTTP. Is there a way i change the listening port for the web server?
shortskoolbus
ReadyNAS Newbie

ReadyNAS: 2100

Re: How to change port for HTTP access?

Postby dbott67 » Sun Oct 04, 2009 5:54 am

I don't think there's an easy way to do it, as well as changing it may cause other issues with Frontview and other services that require HTTP access.

Better to just change the listening port on your router to some arbitrary high-numbered port (say 8000) and then forward TCP 8000 to your NAS on port 80.

What make & model router do you have?
dbott67
ReadyNAS Fanatic

ReadyNAS: Pro

Postby shortskoolbus » Sun Oct 04, 2009 6:01 am

I have a WNDR3700 router.

Hmm not sure how to go about changing the listening port on the router, let me see if i can figure that out.

Thanks for the advice.
shortskoolbus
ReadyNAS Newbie

ReadyNAS: 2100

Postby rklunder » Fri Nov 06, 2009 11:19 am

I am having the same problem. Recently bought the Netgear WNDR3700 router attempting to fix a Logitech boom wireless issues, it didnt. The DLINK DIR655+ worked great at translating ports, it was done under the configuration setting "Virtual Server" allowing a public and private port to be identified. I could not find such a configuration setting in the Netgear WNDR3700. I tried to to see if Port forwarding would translate, it didnt..

When configuring port forwarding on the Netgear using a starting port of 80 and an ending port of 8081, it states, "The specified port(s) are being used by other configurations. Please check your configurations of Remote Management, Port Fowarding, Port Triggering, UPnP Port Mapping table, RIP and Internet connection type". When examining these configurations on this new router, i could not find any other use of port 80 or 8081. If switching the starting and ending port around, 8081 and 80 respectively, it states, "Ending port value should be greater or equal to Starting Port Value".

Anyone know a solution? For being their home networking flagship offering (and expensive) router, i would expect the Netgear WNDR3700 to handle something as simple as port redirection?
rklunder
ReadyNAS Newbie

Postby rklunder » Fri Nov 06, 2009 11:53 am

FYI: I found the answer. If your ISP blocks various ports such as 80 or 443, as Cox communications does, you will not be able to access your ReadyNas HTTP or HTTPS services using Netgear's expensive, (current home) flagship WNDR3700 router. This router does not have the simple ability to perform port translations, so cross it off your purchase list if you need this ability...very disappointing!

http://forum1.netgear.com/showthread.php?t=42442
rklunder
ReadyNAS Newbie

Return to General Questions (English)