Making Time Machine work with the ReadyNAS

Please post questions or problems regarding the use of Time Machine with the ReadyNAS here. Easy Time Machine Setup with the ReadyNAS

Re: Making Time Machine work with the ReadyNAS

Postby btaroli » Sun May 18, 2008 10:34 am

odysseus wrote:... Disk Utility shows "Format: Mac OS Extended (Journaled)", but when I let Time Machine create the file, it shows "Format: MacOS Extended (Case-sensitive, Journaled)" :( Is there a difference between the two files?

Yes, there is a difference between the filesystems. If it doesn't say case-sensitive then it's not. But then when the same tool reports two different values, one would understand there to be a difference... it certainly isn't going to report different values for the same filesystem at different times now is it? ;)

odysseus wrote:It would really be nice to be able to specify the maximum size!

Read through the long TimeMachine thread. There are several examples therein of how to manually create a sparsebundle, including the options to set the maximum size. Heck, I think that even the notes posted in the ReadyNAS blog about this include the size specification in them.
btaroli
Advanced ReadyNAS Expert

ReadyNAS: RN516

Postby dshields » Wed May 28, 2008 11:56 am

Does anyone know if 10.5.3 stops you being able to use TimeMachine with the ReadyNAS?

Apparently it includes updates to TimeMachine, so I'm thinking it might cause problems. Anyone tried it yet?
dshields
ReadyNAS Newbie

Postby Schooby » Wed May 28, 2008 8:54 pm

Seems to be working for me on 10.5.3. I installed said update earlier this evening. Set up the Time Machine per the step-through without any issues. Time Machine connected to the ReadyNas TM share quickly and for all appearances seems to be working great thus far.

I've got a MacBook Pro and I'm transferring to the ReadyNas via 802.11g so it will take a while. But it is working.
Schooby
ReadyNAS Newbie

Postby btaroli » Thu May 29, 2008 8:27 am

Actually, I'd be more curious if Apple addressed the issue that originally resulted in TM's inability to create the sparsebundle directly on the NAS -- and led to the documentation of the workaround to create the sparsebundle manually. Mind you, we might still choose to create the sparsebundle manually to get a size limit less than the volume capacity... ;)

I'll be upgrading to 10.5.3 sometime today and will be able to report on how it (doesn't) affects my TM installation tonight. :D
btaroli
Advanced ReadyNAS Expert

Postby wildeep » Fri May 30, 2008 4:06 am

Hoping someone can provide some advice as to why i cannot get Time Machine to backup to my ReadyNAS NV+

I have followed all the instructions exactly but when TM begins backup i get the error that the "the backup volume could not be mounted"

i have a .sparsebundle file in an AFP share called 'TMBackup' directory on the readynas. My spare bundle is called 'macpro_0017f20101dc.sparsebundle' which matches my host name and ethernet ID.

any ideas please?
wildeep
ReadyNAS Newbie

Postby jarrah » Fri May 30, 2008 4:28 am

btaroli wrote:Actually, I'd be more curious if Apple addressed the issue that originally resulted in TM's inability to create the sparsebundle directly on the NAS -- and led to the documentation of the workaround to create the sparsebundle manually. Mind you, we might still choose to create the sparsebundle manually to get a size limit less than the volume capacity... ;)

No. The sparsebundle gets created (I can see it on the share), but the backup still fails with "The backup disk image could not be created."
jarrah
ReadyNAS User

Postby jarrah » Fri May 30, 2008 10:17 am

wildeep wrote:Hoping someone can provide some advice as to why i cannot get Time Machine to backup to my ReadyNAS NV+

I have followed all the instructions exactly but when TM begins backup i get the error that the "the backup volume could not be mounted"

i have a .sparsebundle file in an AFP share called 'TMBackup' directory on the readynas. My spare bundle is called 'macpro_0017f20101dc.sparsebundle' which matches my host name and ethernet ID.

any ideas please?

What happens if you manually mount the share, then start the backup?
jarrah
ReadyNAS User

Postby wildeep » Fri May 30, 2008 11:09 am

If i mount the share, oddly i get the same error.

If i browse the backup directory on my NAS where the sparsebundle is saved the .sparsebundle which was originally a single file like a .dmg when saved on local machine is now a directory on the NAS and contains a directory called 'bands' and 3 other files 'Info.bckup', 'Info.plist' and 'token'

is this normal?
wildeep
ReadyNAS Newbie

Postby jarrah » Fri May 30, 2008 11:42 am

I only see the sparsebundle file, which has a disk image icon. There is also another file called ".<my_ethernet>" where <my_ethernet> is the same address I used in the sparsebundle.

What version of RAIDiator are you using? Are you using CIFS or AFP to mount the share?
jarrah
ReadyNAS User

Postby wildeep » Fri May 30, 2008 12:05 pm

Thanks for helping.

i am using RAIDiator 4.01c1-p1 [1.00a041] and the drive is mounted using AFP
wildeep
ReadyNAS Newbie

Postby jarrah » Fri May 30, 2008 12:43 pm

Weird. It sounds like you might have mounted the sparsebundle on your machine and you're seeing inside it. When you say "a directory on the NAS", do you see the directory on the share volume that is mounted on your Mac?

I'd try removing the sparsebundle (or directory) from the share, unmounting the share, creating a new sparsebundle, remounting the share, copying it over, and then seeing if you can start a backup.
jarrah
ReadyNAS User

Postby btaroli » Fri May 30, 2008 12:46 pm

wildeep wrote:Thanks for helping.

I seem to recall p1 had a slot of signficiant issues. Please entertain the notion of going to 4.01c1-p2. (heck p3 is already well into beta)
btaroli
Advanced ReadyNAS Expert

Postby btaroli » Fri May 30, 2008 12:48 pm

jarrah wrote:
btaroli wrote:Actually, I'd be more curious if Apple addressed the issue that originally resulted in TM's inability to create the sparsebundle directly on the NAS

No. The sparsebundle gets created (I can see it on the share), but the backup still fails with "The backup disk image could not be created."

Silly Apple. :( :nashammer:

I can positively report that 10.5.3 does not break my TM backups though. Not so much as a burp since.
btaroli
Advanced ReadyNAS Expert

Postby wildeep » Fri May 30, 2008 12:53 pm

OK, have just tried again. I created a new sparsebundle in the terminal on local machine and its a single file like a dmg, when i copy to my backup share on the NAS it stays as a single file until i select it as my time machine disk, when it then changes to a directory and i can see the previously mentioned file in. It only shows like this when mounted through AFP, when mounted through SMB it looks like a dmg again!. I have mounted the same share through SMB and AFP

I have just done some more testing and actually have it backing up now. but... this only works when i have the CIFS service turned on, previously i only had the AFP service on. Doing some more testing, when turning CIFS off the backup fails again with the error that the disk cannot be mounted. Strange!

Anyone else have it all working with only the AFP service on?
Last edited by wildeep on Fri May 30, 2008 2:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wildeep
ReadyNAS Newbie

Postby jarrah » Fri May 30, 2008 1:21 pm

btaroli wrote:
wildeep wrote:Thanks for helping.

I seem to recall p1 had a slot of signficiant issues. Please entertain the notion of going to 4.01c1-p2. (heck p3 is already well into beta)

There isn't a 4.01c1-p2. There was a 4.00c1-p2 which is what your link points to. The next release is 4.01c1-p3. See this thread
jarrah
ReadyNAS User

PreviousNext

Return to Time Machine