TIME MACHINE unable to log on

Please post questions or problems regarding the use of Time Machine with the ReadyNAS here. Easy Time Machine Setup with the ReadyNAS

TIME MACHINE unable to log on

Postby Leon » Sat Mar 28, 2009 2:19 am

Hi,
I am trying to chose the ReadyNAS as the Time Machine drive and after I put in the username and password I get the following error message

Operation could not be completed. (OSStatus error -6602.)

I have click on the "i" after the word Failed and I get the following explanation

The backup volume could not be mounted.

I have called Apple and they have not been able to assist.
I have gone back to raidator 4.2.3 from 4.2.4 and it is still a problem. All was working well but for no reason it stopped.
It happens with all machines
can someone help?
Leon
ReadyNAS Newbie

Re: TIME MACHINE unable to log on

Postby wol » Sat Mar 28, 2009 3:29 pm

Hi,
I am trying to chose the ReadyNAS as the Time Machine drive and after I put in the username and password I get the following error message

Operation could not be completed. (OSStatus error -6602.)

I have click on the "i" after the word Failed and I get the following explanation

The backup volume could not be mounted.

I have called Apple and they have not been able to assist.
I have gone back to raidator 4.2.3 from 4.2.4 and it is still a problem. All was working well but for no reason it stopped.
It happens with all machines
can someone help?

I'm experiencing exactly the same thing using Raidiator 4.1.5-T74 on my ReadyNAS Duo. There are a few older posts on this issue with previous versions, but without any good suggestions .....
wol
ReadyNAS Newbie

Postby Leon » Sun Mar 29, 2009 3:58 am

I have contacted Apple and they are not able to tell me what the error message means.
Leon
ReadyNAS Newbie

Postby crogers04 » Mon Apr 13, 2009 6:35 pm

I am having the same problem.
crogers04
ReadyNAS Newbie

Postby wol » Wed Apr 15, 2009 7:57 am

I solved the problem by installing the official Raidiator 4.1.5 and doing a FACTORY RESET, after having backed up data from the NAS. Everything is wiped out, so be careful ..... :shock:
wol
ReadyNAS Newbie

Postby Vatoe » Wed Apr 15, 2009 6:53 pm

I got this error initially, but mine was because i was using my username instead of 'ReadyNAS'. Once i changed it it worked fine.
Vatoe
Advanced ReadyNAS User

ReadyNAS: NVX

Postby NAS-t » Thu Apr 16, 2009 7:17 am

I also got this -6602 error when Time Machine attempted to connect to the ReadyNAS. This is on a brand-new Duo running 4.1.5 on which Time Machine support had just been enabled.

After poking around for a while, I realized that my PowerBook already had the /media share mounted. I unmounted it by clicking the little eject icon adjacent to the "readynas (AFP)" device under the Shared heading in the sidebar of a Finder window. Then I returned to Time Machine preferences, clicked Change Disk, and was able to connect to ReadyNAS with no problem. Time Machine then made the first backup (which took about 6 hours to backup 70GB over a 100 Mbps network connection). TM has been doing hourly backups to the Duo ever since.
--
Duo w/4.1.13 [X-RAID]
2 x Seagate ST2000DL003
Netgear GS108 GigE switch
D-Link DSS-8+ FastE switch
Airport Extreme
NAS-t
ReadyNAS User

ReadyNAS: Duo

Postby cbredesen » Fri Apr 17, 2009 7:07 am

I'm getting this as well on an NV+ that was upgraded to 4.1.5. I was initially able to (very quickly!) enable TM on the ReadyNAS and do the initial backup. I believe it did a couple subsequent incrementals as well, but I'm not 100% sure.

I tried to "Enter Time Machine" a day or two later to verify that I could restore a file, and it never succeeded.

Today, I cannot perform a backup. When TM mounts the volume, it tells me that the disk I inserted was not readable, and asked whether to format or eject it. I said to ignore, and TM eventually failed with this message:

The backup disk image could not be mounted.

I notice now that I have a new icon in my Finder windows that looks like a time capsule. I cannot connect to that at all. When I try to "Connect As...", it eventually says Connection Failed.

Any ideas? I'd sure like not to have to factory reset...

-Chris
cbredesen
ReadyNAS Newbie

Postby cbredesen » Fri Apr 17, 2009 7:12 am

Here's some [possibly] relevant logging from the client:

Code: Select all
4/17/09 9:44:31 AM kernel AFP_VFS afpfs_mount: /Volumes/ReadyNAS, pid 343
4/17/09 9:44:31 AM /System/Library/CoreServices/backupd[342] Mounted network destination using URL: afp://ReadyNAS@nas.local/ReadyNAS
4/17/09 9:44:32 AM /System/Library/CoreServices/backupd[342] Backup destination mounted at path: /Volumes/ReadyNAS
4/17/09 9:45:41 AM kernel AFP_VFS afpfs_DoReconnect started /Volumes/ReadyNAS prevTrigger 0 currTrigger 1
4/17/09 9:45:41 AM kernel AFP_VFS afpfs_DoReconnect:  doing reconnect on /Volumes/ReadyNAS
4/17/09 9:45:41 AM kernel AFP_VFS afpfs_DoReconnect:  soft mounted and hidden volume so do not notify KEA for /Volumes/ReadyNAS
4/17/09 9:45:41 AM kernel AFP_VFS afpfs_DoReconnect:  Max reconnect time: 60 secs, Connect timeout: 30 secs for /Volumes/ReadyNAS
4/17/09 9:45:41 AM kernel AFP_VFS afpfs_DoReconnect:  connect to the server /Volumes/ReadyNAS
4/17/09 9:45:41 AM kernel AFP_VFS afpfs_DoReconnect:  Logging in with uam 7 /Volumes/ReadyNAS
4/17/09 9:45:46 AM kernel AFP_VFS afpfs_DoReconnect:  Restoring session /Volumes/ReadyNAS
4/17/09 9:45:48 AM kernel AFP_VFS afpfs_DoReconnect:  Primary Reconnect failed 5 on /Volumes/ReadyNAS
4/17/09 9:45:48 AM kernel AFP_VFS afpfs_DoReconnect:  trying Secondary Reconnect on /Volumes/ReadyNAS
4/17/09 9:47:49 AM /System/Library/CoreServices/backupd[342] Failed to mount disk image /Volumes/ReadyNAS/silverstone_0025009f2c96.sparsebundle (DIHLDiskImageAttach returned: 60)
4/17/09 9:49:06 AM kernel AFP_VFS afpfs_DoReconnect started /Volumes/ReadyNAS prevTrigger 1 currTrigger 2
4/17/09 9:49:06 AM kernel AFP_VFS afpfs_DoReconnect:  doing reconnect on /Volumes/ReadyNAS
4/17/09 9:49:06 AM kernel AFP_VFS afpfs_DoReconnect:  soft mounted and hidden volume so do not notify KEA for /Volumes/ReadyNAS
4/17/09 9:49:06 AM kernel AFP_VFS afpfs_DoReconnect:  Max reconnect time: 60 secs, Connect timeout: 30 secs for /Volumes/ReadyNAS
4/17/09 9:49:06 AM kernel AFP_VFS afpfs_DoReconnect:  connect to the server /Volumes/ReadyNAS
4/17/09 9:49:06 AM kernel AFP_VFS afpfs_DoReconnect:  Logging in with uam 7 /Volumes/ReadyNAS
4/17/09 9:49:06 AM kernel AFP_VFS afpfs_DoReconnect:  Restoring session /Volumes/ReadyNAS
4/17/09 9:49:08 AM kernel AFP_VFS afpfs_DoReconnect:  Primary Reconnect failed 5 on /Volumes/ReadyNAS
4/17/09 9:49:08 AM kernel AFP_VFS afpfs_DoReconnect:  trying Secondary Reconnect on /Volumes/ReadyNAS
4/17/09 9:49:13 AM kernel AFP_VFS afpfs_unmount: /Volumes/ReadyNAS, flags 0, pid 379
4/17/09 9:49:14 AM kernel AFP_VFS afpfs_DoReconnect started /Volumes/ReadyNAS prevTrigger 2 currTrigger 3
4/17/09 9:49:14 AM kernel AFP_VFS afpfs_DoReconnect: already in unmount /Volumes/ReadyNAS
4/17/09 9:50:20 AM kernel AFP_VFS afpfs_mount: /Volumes/ReadyNAS, pid 382
4/17/09 9:50:20 AM /System/Library/CoreServices/backupd[342] Mounted network destination using URL: afp://ReadyNAS@nas.local/ReadyNAS
4/17/09 9:50:22 AM /System/Library/CoreServices/backupd[342] Backup destination mounted at path: /Volumes/ReadyNAS
4/17/09 9:52:11 AM kernel AFP_VFS afpfs_DoReconnect started /Volumes/ReadyNAS prevTrigger 0 currTrigger 1
4/17/09 9:52:11 AM kernel AFP_VFS afpfs_DoReconnect:  doing reconnect on /Volumes/ReadyNAS
4/17/09 9:52:11 AM kernel AFP_VFS afpfs_DoReconnect:  soft mounted and hidden volume so do not notify KEA for /Volumes/ReadyNAS
4/17/09 9:52:11 AM kernel AFP_VFS afpfs_DoReconnect:  Max reconnect time: 30 secs, Connect timeout: 15 secs for /Volumes/ReadyNAS
4/17/09 9:52:11 AM kernel AFP_VFS afpfs_DoReconnect:  connect to the server /Volumes/ReadyNAS
4/17/09 9:52:13 AM kernel AFP_VFS afpfs_DoReconnect:  Logging in with uam 7 /Volumes/ReadyNAS
4/17/09 9:52:15 AM kernel AFP_VFS afpfs_DoReconnect:  Restoring session /Volumes/ReadyNAS
4/17/09 9:52:15 AM kernel AFP_VFS afpfs_DoReconnect:  Primary Reconnect failed 5 on /Volumes/ReadyNAS
4/17/09 9:52:15 AM kernel AFP_VFS afpfs_DoReconnect:  trying Secondary Reconnect on /Volumes/ReadyNAS
4/17/09 9:52:16 AM /System/Library/CoreServices/backupd[342] Failed to mount disk image /Volumes/ReadyNAS/silverstone_0025009f2c96.sparsebundle (DIHLDiskImageAttach returned: 109)
4/17/09 9:52:16 AM kernel AFP_VFS afpfs_unmount: /Volumes/ReadyNAS, flags 0, pid 406
cbredesen
ReadyNAS Newbie

Re: TIME MACHINE unable backup to ReadyNAS.

Postby NAS-t » Fri Apr 17, 2009 2:56 pm

cbredesen wrote:I'm getting this as well on an NV+ that was upgraded to 4.1.5. I was initially able to (very quickly!) enable TM on the ReadyNAS and do the initial backup. I believe it did a couple subsequent incrementals as well, but I'm not 100% sure.

I tried to "Enter Time Machine" a day or two later to verify that I could restore a file, and it never succeeded.

Today, I cannot perform a backup. When TM mounts the volume, it tells me that the disk I inserted was not readable, and asked whether to format or eject it. I said to ignore, and TM eventually failed with this message:

The backup disk image could not be mounted.

I notice now that I have a new icon in my Finder windows that looks like a time capsule. I cannot connect to that at all. When I try to "Connect As...", it eventually says Connection Failed.

@Chris,
I also have a new icon in the sidebar that looks like a time capsule, named "readynas". But I can't connect to it either.

Like you, I was able to do the initial TM backup to the ReadyNAS, and it appeared to do a couple of hourly backups yesterday. But today, the wheels fell off. At 9am, TM attempted to do a hourly backup. Nine hours later, it's still trying. The TM Preferences window displays "Backingup: 10KB out of 28 MB". The progress bar hasn't moved. The TM client hasn't timed out nor thrown any error messages. The ReadyNAS appears to be working fine: the lights are all green. I can mount the /backup and /media shares with no problem. But the ReadyNAS is not doing the TM backup.

I conclude that the ReadyNAS Time Machine functionality is not ready for prime time. Perhaps I should rename the TM volume to be NotReadyNAS.
--
Duo w/4.1.13 [X-RAID]
2 x Seagate ST2000DL003
Netgear GS108 GigE switch
D-Link DSS-8+ FastE switch
Airport Extreme
NAS-t
ReadyNAS User

Postby JosephF » Sun May 03, 2009 6:18 am

I am seeing some spurious errors with time machine on my readynas nv+. I was initially thinking this was a result of another machine doing a backup at the same time, but this has been proven not to be the case. Here is the info from the console:

Code: Select all
5/2/09 9:38:38 PM  /System/Library/CoreServices/backupd[13899] FSMountServerVolumeSync failed with error: -6600 for url: afp://Readynas@HOME_NAS.local/ReadyNAS
5/2/09 9:38:38 PM  /System/Library/CoreServices/backupd[13899] Authentication error - the correct user or password info may not exist in the System.keychain or the server may no longer allow access for this user.
5/2/09 9:38:38 PM  /System/Library/CoreServices/backupd[13899] Authentication error - the correct user or password info may not exist in the System.keychain or the server may no longer allow access for this user.
5/2/09 9:38:43 PM  /System/Library/CoreServices/backupd[13899] Backup failed with error: 29

As I mentioned this does not happen all the time...I can't seem to find a pattern. Any ideas :?:
JosephF
ReadyNAS Newbie

Postby NAS-t » Sun May 03, 2009 8:04 am

@JosephF,

I've not seen anything in my logs like what you've reported, but here are a couple of things you might try.

1) Open up Keychain Access and check on the keychain entry for your NV+. In my keychain, there is a readynas entry that contains the password I had specified for TM access. Perhaps your keychain entry has become corrupted (though if it has, it would seem to me that your TM backups would fail everytime).

2) try to log on to the ReadyNAS TM volume manually, using afp. First, make sure you are not already connected (click the eject icon adjacent to your readynas device in the Finder sidebar). Then, in the Finder, click Go/Connect to Server...
Enter afp://<ip address of your NV>/ReadyNAS -> this assumes that ReadyNAS is the name of the TM volume that you specified in the FrontView TM configuration.
A Finder authorization pop-up should appear.
For Name, use "ReadyNas". (the capitalization is important)
For Password, enter the password that you specified in the FV TM config.

You should find yourself connected to the readynas (AFP) device, and see a share named ReadyNAS. Inside that folder is the sparsebundle image that was created by TM. It contains your TM backup data.

If the afp mount works, you'll know that the ReadyNAS is accepting/validating the password over afp and would suggest that your problem is on the Mac side. If it doesn't work, it points at the ReadyNAS as the source of the problem. Hardly definitive, but it might help you localize the problem.

One other thought - can you reliably Enter Time Machine and browse the contents of the TM backups? Your Mac has to log on/mount the TM volume on the ReadyNAS to do so.

Good luck.
NAS-t
ReadyNAS User

Postby JosephF » Sun May 03, 2009 12:56 pm

NAS-t wrote:@JosephF,

I've not seen anything in my logs like what you've reported, but here are a couple of things you might try.

1) Open up Keychain Access and check on the keychain entry for your NV+. In my keychain, there is a readynas entry that contains the password I had specified for TM access. Perhaps your keychain entry has become corrupted (though if it has, it would seem to me that your TM backups would fail everytime).

2) try to log on to the ReadyNAS TM volume manually, using afp. First, make sure you are not already connected (click the eject icon adjacent to your readynas device in the Finder sidebar). Then, in the Finder, click Go/Connect to Server...
Enter afp://<ip address of your NV>/ReadyNAS -> this assumes that ReadyNAS is the name of the TM volume that you specified in the FrontView TM configuration.
A Finder authorization pop-up should appear.
For Name, use "ReadyNas". (the capitalization is important)
For Password, enter the password that you specified in the FV TM config.

You should find yourself connected to the readynas (AFP) device, and see a share named ReadyNAS. Inside that folder is the sparsebundle image that was created by TM. It contains your TM backup data.

If the afp mount works, you'll know that the ReadyNAS is accepting/validating the password over afp and would suggest that your problem is on the Mac side. If it doesn't work, it points at the ReadyNAS as the source of the problem. Hardly definitive, but it might help you localize the problem.

One other thought - can you reliably Enter Time Machine and browse the contents of the TM backups? Your Mac has to log on/mount the TM volume on the ReadyNAS to do so.

Good luck.

Hi NAS-t,

Thanks for the reply.

#1 - Keychain looks good

#2 - I am able to log on manually using my credentials

I am also able to enter time machine and browse around reliably.

The thing that led me to believe it was a NAS issue is that I am seeing it on both my iMac and MacBook Pro. Strange!

I am going to blow away the keychain for the login to the time machine volume and re-enter. I don't think that both keychan entries are corrupt, but it is worth a try. I will let you know if the issue persists.

One other question: it this config hack still needed: defaults write com.apple.systempreferences TMShowUnsupportedNetworkVolumes -bool true ??? I did make this change when I was using the other TM config before TM was formally supported in the latest firmware. Maybe I need to set that false just for good measure.

Thanks!
JosephF
ReadyNAS Newbie

Postby NAS-t » Mon May 04, 2009 8:20 am

JosephF wrote:
One other question: it this config hack still needed: defaults write com.apple.systempreferences TMShowUnsupportedNetworkVolumes -bool true ??? I did make this change when I was using the other TM config before TM was formally supported in the latest firmware. Maybe I need to set that false just for good measure.

Thanks!

@JosephF,
It's my understanding that the config hack is no longer needed, as of RAIDiator 4.1.5. I did not have to apply the hack on my MBA to get it to recognize the ReadyNAS as a TM destination. The ReadyNAS developers cleverly augmented their code so that the ReadyNAS appears to OSX as a legitimate TimeCapsule-like device. Indeed, in my Finder Sidebar, a new little icon has appeared that looks just like an AirPort (named readynas).

On my other Mac (a PowerBook G4), I had previously set the boolean to be true in order to get TM to recognize my <Airport Extreme + USB drive> as a destination. I never set it back to false when I got the ReadyNAS.
NAS-t
ReadyNAS User

Postby JosephF » Mon May 04, 2009 2:34 pm

NAS-t wrote:@JosephF,
It's my understanding that the config hack is no longer needed, as of RAIDiator 4.1.5. I did not have to apply the hack on my MBA to get it to recognize the ReadyNAS as a TM destination. The ReadyNAS developers cleverly augmented their code so that the ReadyNAS appears to OSX as a legitimate TimeCapsule-like device. Indeed, in my Finder Sidebar, a new little icon has appeared that looks just like an AirPort (named readynas).

On my other Mac (a PowerBook G4), I had previously set the boolean to be true in order to get TM to recognize my <Airport Extreme + USB drive> as a destination. I never set it back to false when I got the ReadyNAS.

That's what I was thinking. I really don't think it should have any effect on TM or the NAS, but what the heck I will change it to false. Since deleting and re-entering my keychain info the TM error has gone away. I hate it when things do this and there is no clear reason for the resolution. I will keep you posted...
JosephF
ReadyNAS Newbie

Return to Time Machine