Supported files for DLNA streaming

(Replaces the existing UPnP-AV server support) Enables playback of videos, music and pictures from DLNA/UPnP AV network media players. Also adds TiVo HMO support.

Supported files for DLNA streaming

Postby StandardUser » Tue Aug 24, 2010 6:17 am

Hi,

I am wondering if anybody has a list of video file types supported by DLNA streaming. I tried e.g. .mkv and it didn't work.
I would be happy if someone could post a list and a probably also a list of files which will not work.

Regards,
StandardUser
StandardUser
ReadyNAS Newbie

ReadyNAS: Duo

Re: Supported files for DLNA streaming

Postby sphardy » Tue Aug 24, 2010 7:23 am

http://www.dlna.org/industry/why_dlna/k ... ia_format/

Note however that different equipment may support more than this. eg ReadyDLNA supports streaming .mkv, so I guess in your case it is the client that doesn't support .mkv

NAS: Ultra-4, NV+ & Duo v2 :: ST31500341AS & HDS723020BLA642 Drives
Network: Netgear GS108Tv2 / DM111P :: Airport Extreme / Express & Time Capsule
Clients: OS X 10.6 - 10.8 :: Ubuntu 11.x :: Win 7 + SP#1
UPS: APC ES-550

sphardy
ReadyNAS Junkie

ReadyNAS: Ultra

Postby StandardUser » Tue Aug 24, 2010 11:45 pm

I tried the .mkv with Panasonic and Samsung BR-Players and TVs. They all reply "Reading error" around 10 seconds after I select the file. At least the Samsung can play the same mkv from flash memory without problem so I assumed it must be with the ReadyNAS which doesn't support the file......
The Samsung can actually play nearly everything from the ReadyNAS (except mkv) , but the Panasonic is very fussy.
StandardUser
ReadyNAS Newbie

ReadyNAS: Duo

Postby sphardy » Wed Aug 25, 2010 12:08 am

A good test of server support is to use VLC on your pc/mac. The latest releases can now perform as a DLNA client and given VLC can play the vast majority of formats you can determine whether on not a format can be served.

Unfortunately I've seen multiple cases of media players that will play certain formats when available locally, but not when served via a DLNA server - it is my belief is it is the client that is the problem in these cases

sphardy
ReadyNAS Junkie

Postby nbhms » Fri Sep 10, 2010 10:45 am

The PS3 is one such media player. It supports the codec (x264), but not the container (.mkv). One solution to this is the program "mkv2vob", which leaves the source audio/video untouched and just transfers it to a new container, such as .mpg. Because it leaves the source content untouched, processing a 1.2 GB file only takes a few seconds and there is no loss in picture or audio quality. You can find mkv2vob here: http://www.mkv2vob.com/

Documentation for ReadyDLNA does seem to be either very lacking, or very well hidden, one of the two.

sphardy wrote:http://www.dlna.org/industry/why_dlna/key_components/media_format/

Note however that different equipment may support more than this. eg ReadyDLNA supports streaming .mkv, so I guess in your case it is the client that doesn't support .mkv
nbhms
ReadyNAS Newbie

Postby sphardy » Fri Sep 10, 2010 12:02 pm

@nbhms - if you note from the link I posted, while various audio and video formats are specified, there is no clear definition of the containers to be supported. Now it is possible that there is further detail in the official documentation available to members of the DLNA association, but this seems to be basic missing information that should be public.

Certainly, mkv does not appear to be part of the "standard", though some clients and servers (eg ReadyDLNA) do support it. The fact that MPEG2 is defined probably means VOB is a valid container and why you're having success with it, though MPEG2 is still an "optional" video format

sphardy
ReadyNAS Junkie

Return to ReadyDLNA