ReadyNAS Data Recovery - VMware recovery tool

Please post any helpful and useful tips to maximize your fellow ReadyNAS users' experience.

Re: ReadyNAS Data Recovery - VMware recovery tool

Postby BoyQuiet » Tue Nov 30, 2010 11:26 am

dekkit wrote:Hi BoyQuiet, its been a great to see the ReadyNAS community come together on this....and yes a detailed how-to-guide / video example is probably in order but unfortunately requires time but is on my to do list (unless someone else does it first!?!).

I'll eventually get around to editing the first post on this forum again to help make this clearer but some things to note (that have been mentioned elsewhere around here)

Things to note:
# Only the 1st disk of the duo will work in the VMware (usually in the 1st bay in a 2xbay duo).

Because of the way the RAID works in the duo, the second disk is considered the parity disk (apparently when you yank out the first disk, it will write the partition table to the 2nd disk - or something to this effect - and the duo will kick on). To view the contents of the 2nd disk, you'll need to use something like R-tools to scan and index the partitions on the 2nd disk.

# When you run the VMware, you'll need to run 2 x terminal windows. (which it sounds like you've done)

..the 1st will mount the ReadyNAS duo filesystem and will appear to 'hang' (with info about the size of the disk)
you then need the 2nd to access the files

# Accessing readynas drives plugged into your motherboard requires the _vito vmware version. You may need to google using VMware with internal hdds to ensure you configure _vito's image to meet your drive size. Please report any progress / success.

:)
Dek

Sorry but I have no idea what _vito is :-( and my googling skills have not helped.

Tried starting the Duo with just the second disk in (simulated disk1 failure) and the Duo just blinked at me for ever ...

So now thinking of using raid-0 on both disks and backing up one to the other. At least that way the VM would be able to read either one if the other failed. I could loose the date since the last backup but the upsides seem worth it to me.
1. take either disk out when going away for any length of time.
2. not worry that inserting a new disk will loose all my data (looks like this happened in some posts)
3. I can use your VM to recover data from either drive.

I know it looks all wrong but may just work for me.
BoyQuiet
ReadyNAS Newbie

ReadyNAS: Duo

Postby dekkit » Tue Nov 30, 2010 2:55 pm

The vito vmware version can be found in the first post of this forum :). I've copied the same link below

http://www.readynas.com/contributed/dek ... buntu9.rar
I haven't tried it myself, but worth a look if you need to try it with the hdds plugged directly into your motherboard.

Interesting that your system didn't kick over on a disk 1 failure. Where you using x-raid?
dekkit
ReadyNAS User

Postby BoyQuiet » Tue Nov 30, 2010 3:19 pm

dekkit wrote:The vito vmware version can be found in the first post of this forum :). I've copied the same link below

http://www.readynas.com/contributed/dek ... buntu9.rar
I haven't tried it myself, but worth a look if you need to try it with the hdds plugged directly into your motherboard.

Interesting that your system didn't kick over on a disk 1 failure. Where you using x-raid?

Thanks for the link - snowblind from reading the screen all day!

Yes it was x-raid. I x-checked that disks were in sync after power cycle. And powered down before removing the disk.

Will keep you posted on progress.

Thanks agin.
BoyQuiet
ReadyNAS Newbie

Postby mb_brian » Sat Feb 05, 2011 10:11 am

Pls help !!

I'm getting this error:

modprobe fuse
vgscan
found volume group “vmw.debian5” using…
vgchange -ay vmw.debian5
6 logical volume(s) in volume groupe “vmw.debian5” now active
mkdir /mnt/lvm
ext2fuse /dev/vmw.debian5/vmw.debian5 /mnt/lvm
/dev/vmw.debian5/ vmw.debian5 is to be mounted at /mnt/lvm
fuse-ext2fs: No such file or directory while trying to open /dev/vmw.debian5/ vmw.debian5

What am I doing wrong or what can I do now ?
mb_brian
ReadyNAS Newbie

Postby Scott_S » Thu Mar 03, 2011 3:43 am

I have mounted the drive from a ReadyNAS Duo on a Ubuntu VMWare image using an external USB enclosure. I can see the c/home directory which only contains an admin directory but I do not see any shares. Is it still possible that my shares exist on the drive and can be accessed? I have used R-Studio to recover some files but without filenames. The filenames are replaced with numbers by R-Studio. I can see the c/home and c/home/admin folder in R-studio and I don't see any shares there either. In R-Studio the block size for the partition is reported as 4KB. The ReadyNAS is about a year old I think. Is it likely that this is a block size issue and I need to use one of the VMWare images with fuse to recover the files or does the fact that I'm able to mount and view the directories mean the shares are not there? Thanks in advance. - Scott
Scott_S
ReadyNAS Newbie

Postby el_don » Tue Apr 26, 2011 2:10 am

I don't do this very often, but it is time to say a BIIIG "Thanky you" !!!
Your VM saved my a** today.... so thanx again.
el_don
ReadyNAS Newbie

Postby flacflex » Sat Jun 25, 2011 3:43 pm

Hi to you all and thanks for your work !
...and especially to VITO and his vmware image.

After dowloading,
I just have a small problem to boot with it :
After booting in the ubuntu menu,
I get a boot msg problem :

Any solution ?
Thanks for your help.

Flex :D
flacflex
ReadyNAS Newbie

ReadyNAS: NV+

Postby flacflex » Sun Jun 26, 2011 5:01 am

OOps
sorry.
There's an explanation in a little TXT. file.

flacflex
ReadyNAS Newbie

ReadyNAS: NV+

Postby Ghostface » Mon Sep 26, 2011 11:52 am

As this was one of main threads i found when googling my problem I'd thought I'd post in here.

My readynas died and I no longer had access to my files. I tried for ages but eventually stumbled across this progam called R-linux, recovered all files including file names and folder structure. Winner.
Ghostface
ReadyNAS Newbie

Postby xtrips » Tue Oct 04, 2011 5:52 am

Hello,

I have another thread open in this forum for a week now and also a case at Netgear.

The situation is as follows:

- ReadyNas Pro, 6 X 3TB HDDs, Xraid2 with one HDD for redundancy (RAID5 + autoX, right?), 7 TB worth of data, Journaling disabled, Recycle Bin disabled.

The problem:

- accidentally deleted the media share, therefore all 7TB disappeared (Huge catastrophe for me!)

I have been waiting for Netgear's support for a week now to provide the necessary parameters in order to be able to run R-Studio on my HDDs, connected to a PC at the moment. And I am still wating (so much for efficiency).

Can this solution here help me? (just to remind you, I deleted the files!)

Note: I ran a regular undelete tool for EXT partitio on one HDD, in read only mode, scanning. It came up with a HDD full of data of all sorts. Filenames were just generic and numbered, but accessible. Of course a JPG for example would show only a small part of the picture since the rest is spread across the 5 other HDDs.

Thanks
xtrips
ReadyNAS User

ReadyNAS: Pro

Postby xtrips » Wed Oct 05, 2011 12:23 pm

xtrips wrote:Hello,

I have another thread open in this forum for a week now and also a case at Netgear.

The situation is as follows:

- ReadyNas Pro, 6 X 3TB HDDs, Xraid2 with one HDD for redundancy (RAID5 + autoX, right?), 7 TB worth of data, Journaling disabled, Recycle Bin disabled.

The problem:

- accidentally deleted the media share, therefore all 7TB disappeared (Huge catastrophe for me!)

I have been waiting for Netgear's support for a week now to provide the necessary parameters in order to be able to run R-Studio on my HDDs, connected to a PC at the moment. And I am still wating (so much for efficiency).

Can this solution here help me? (just to remind you, I deleted the files!)

Note: I ran a regular undelete tool for EXT partitio on one HDD, in read only mode, scanning. It came up with a HDD full of data of all sorts. Filenames were just generic and numbered, but accessible. Of course a JPG for example would show only a small part of the picture since the rest is spread across the 5 other HDDs.

Thanks

Bump!
Is this thread alive?
Can somebody tell me if this solution is suitable for me?
Again: ReadyNas Pro, 6 X 3TB (terabytes) HDDs, Xraid2 one hdd redundancy.

Thanks
xtrips
ReadyNAS User

ReadyNAS Data Recovery - VMware recovery tool

Postby xtrips » Thu Oct 06, 2011 12:50 am

Ghostface wrote:As this was one of main threads i found when googling my problem I'd thought I'd post in here.

My readynas died and I no longer had access to my files. I tried for ages but eventually stumbled across this progam called R-linux, recovered all files including file names and folder structure. Winner.

Hello

Which RAID type were you using?
Which product from R-tt did you use?
Which parameters did you use in that product to reconstruct the RAID?

Thank you

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=32.111453,34.830816
xtrips
ReadyNAS User

Postby pc-addiict » Fri Dec 16, 2011 5:08 am

the username and password for debian logon is incorrect

root/rootadmin, vmuser/vmuser1

in any combination doesnt work!!!!

bloomin frustrated need to get my DATA!!!!!!!!!
pc-addiict
ReadyNAS Newbie

ReadyNAS: Duo v2

Postby elgbert » Tue Feb 14, 2012 12:54 pm

pc-addiict wrote:Your folders and file should be listed (if all goes well) in this terminal, you can now copy them to another HDD (usb, share etc that you have connected to the VMWare). Be aware there is a 4GB file limit on each filesize (a limitation of the ext2fuse).

I am using Ubuntu with fuseext2 as described here

http://home.bott.ca/webserver/?p=306

all was going well and I was getting my data, but I can not read files >4GB from my Duo drive. I can see from terminal that the directory sizes are listed correct, but they are not the sum of the file sizes. File sizes are listed as max 3.8 GB. I have tried to zip them with 2GB split, but the problem is reading them.

How can I resolve this? I really need my video files >4GB.
elgbert
ReadyNAS Newbie

Postby mjw » Sat Jun 30, 2012 6:32 pm

For anyone who has working disks but a failed Readynas unit and is trying to get the data out, here's how I eventually succeeded doing this
mjw
ReadyNAS Expert

ReadyNAS: X6

PreviousNext

Return to User Submitted Tips