I am writing this because of the frustration I experience when trying to get iTunes working with the ReadyNAS duo - and being able to see the iTunes playlists. After readying too many forum threads and countless hours of troubleshooting, I finally figure this out. Hopefully, this will help others:
1. My environment:
Windows 7 x64
Squeezebox Server version 7.6.1
iTunes desktop version 10.4.1.10
OS: Netgear RAIDiator – EN – utf8
ReadyNAS Firmware: RAIDiator 4.1.7
ReadyNAS iTunes Plugin installed
Create an iTunes folder structure on the ReadyNAS duo that matches the iTunes folder structure on your PC. The easiest way is to simply copy the iTunes folder from your PC to the ReadyNas.
On my ReadyNAS duo I have the following folders that I copied from my PC:
Note 1: The “\\NAS-72-25-42\media\Music\iTunes\iTunes Music” folder contains all of my music files.
The “\\NAS-72-25-42\media\Music\iTunes” folder should also have the following files:
iTunes Library Extras
iTunes Library Genius
iTunes Music Library
Note 2: the “Extra,” “Genius,” and “Library” files make-up the iTunes Database files
Note 3: the “iTunes Music Library” file is an XML that contains your playlists and pointers to all of your music.
b. ReadyNAS Frontview
Share List: I created a share to the “media” folder with CIFS read/write access.
Streaming Services: I have “SqueezeCenter” and “iTunes Streaming Server” options checked.
c. iTunes Desktop
1) On the Preferences, Advanced tab, set the iTunes Media folder location to your ReadyNAS iTunes music folder. Mine is: \\NAS-72-25-42\media\Music\iTunes\iTunes Music
I have both the “Keep iTunes Media folder organized” and “Copy files to iTunes Media folder when adding to library” options checked.
2) Export your “iTunes Music Library.xml” library file to wherever you copied it to on the ReadyNAS duo, overwriting the exiting file.
Note 4: if you are prompted, allow iTunes to “Organize” your music.
3) Copy the updated “iTunes Library Extras” and “iTunes Library” files from the PC to the ReadyNAS duo overwriting the existing files. This is because the Library XML file and the iTunes database file pointers have all been updated with ReadyNAS duo file pointers and no longer reference your PC file system.
d. ReadyNAS duo iTunes Plugin
Make sure you have the iTunes plugin installed. If necessary, go to the “Settings,” “Plugins” tab and check “iTunes (v1.0) and follow the prompts.
On the “Settings” page iTunes tab make sure:
“Use iTunes” is checked
In the “iTunes Music Library.xml Location” option, select the “iTunes Music Library.xml” file. On my ReadyNAS it is: /media/Music/iTunes/iTunes Music Library.xml
Note 5: You MUST select the file and not simply the folder location.
Next, set the “iTunes Media Folder” option. I used: “/media/Music/iTunes/iTunes Music”
3. In Closing:
1) I had to do a factor reset of my Squeezbox receiver in order for it to find my Squeezebox Server.
2) You will definitely have to rescan your music library. I used the “Clear library and rescan everything” option. When it finished, I had playlists, artwork, and “everything” from my PC.
Lastly, if others want to chime in on this please do. This worked for me; I hope it works for you.