T28 may still have the network dropout problem??

For those who cannot wait for the official x86 releases, we'll occasionally post test releases here. This includes the Pro/NVX/Ultra/2100/3100/3200/4200 models.
WARNING: use at your own risk!

Re: T28 may still have the network dropout problem??

Postby Chewbacca » Tue Feb 14, 2012 10:02 am

tlyczko: The network driver has been pretty consistent from 4.2.15-4.2.19. There was changes made in 4.2.20 to fix some network issues storagecraft.

So just to confirm you were having VMWare backup issues since 4.2.17 and still having a issue with 4.2.20. Let's deal with one issue first I know you said you had issues with mysql backups.

Your issue could be somewhat different.. Can I get more info about the backup your are running? Amount?
Chewbacca

"Rrrrrrromph!"...
Chewbacca
Jedi Council

ReadyNAS: NVX

Postby tlyczko » Tue Feb 14, 2012 10:47 am

Chewbacca wrote:tlyczko: The network driver has been pretty consistent from 4.2.15-4.2.19. There was changes made in 4.2.20 to fix some network issues storagecraft. So just to confirm you were having VMWare backup issues since 4.2.17 and still having a issue with 4.2.20. Let's deal with one issue first I know you said you had issues with mysql backups. Your issue could be somewhat different.. Can I get more info about the backup your are running? Amount?

They're SQL Server backups, not mySQL. :)
The SQL Server backups only have issues if the NAS has issues.
If the NAS reaches a point where it must be manually restarted then the SQL Server backups (full and logs) will of course fail.

Our other major backups were/are being done with phdVirtual Backup for VMware, also/formerly known as esXpress, which backs up our VMs.
I must say that all I know is that I have had issues with this NAS since last year and it was even replaced once.
I don't recall what version was installed when unfortunately. The support case for when the NAS was replaced will show what firmware it had at the time.
The backup software is not the cause of the problems -- tech support could easily find within its logs reports of lost network connectivity.

4.2.20-T32 has been more stable than previous T## but I still must wait and continue observing, I have only had it installed since yesterday.
I don't have any of the old log files from last year's cases with Netgear but Netgear may still have them??
If you need the case numbers etc. please advise.
Basically the problem is as though the network is plugged and nothing can get through -- not web/http/https, not ssh, nothing.
Only a manual pushing the button reboot unplugs things.

I never know when/if the ReadyNAS will stop working.
Fortunately of late it has usually stopped working after the VM backups.

I have also noticed that the power off/on instructions don't seem to work -- I never saw anything in the logs about these scheduled events, rebooting daily would reduce the incidence of network problems.

I'll try to continue answering your questions.

Thank you, Tom
tlyczko
ReadyNAS Expert

Postby Chewbacca » Tue Feb 14, 2012 11:20 am

tlyczko: I will have to look into the vmware backup software and see if I can reproduce the issue. Can I get the version info on that software. Not saying the backup software is a issue but sounds like its what causes the nic to have a issue. We've seen a different backup software cause some other issue we had to look into.

Just to confirm when you are unable to access the NAS. Can you power off normally or a hard power off?

So T32 seems to be working or partially working?

So power off/on does not work at all? So no powering on on the timer or off?
Chewbacca

"Rrrrrrromph!"...
Chewbacca
Jedi Council

Postby tlyczko » Tue Feb 14, 2012 11:27 am

Chewbacca wrote:tlyczko: I will have to look into the vmware backup software and see if I can reproduce the issue. Can I get the version info on that software. Not saying the backup software is a issue but sounds like its what causes the nic to have a issue. We've seen a different backup software cause some other issue we had to look into.
Just to confirm when you are unable to access the NAS. Can you power off normally or a hard power off?
So T32 seems to be working or partially working?
So power off/on does not work at all? So no powering on on the timer or off?

The phdVirtual Backup software is presently on 5.4 -- issues have appeared with ALL versions available since last May, which would be 5.1.3 onward.
And the issues don't appear all the time. I have emails with discussions about the errors and logfiles info etc. though not the logfiles per se.

Unable to access requires walking up to the NAS and holding down the power button. No other means of communication to the NAS is possible. Period.

As stated, T32 has only been installed since yesterday. Backups today worked -- phdvirtual backup had some other new different issues today which are not related to the ReadyNAS and which were corrected by rebooting the backup appliance and re-running the backup. No issues with the SQL server backups at all.

The timer-based power off/on does not appear to work. No power off/on events are logged for the times I had this configured. This was with eariler firmware versions. I will try it again with T32 and observe what happens.

Thank you, Tom
tlyczko
ReadyNAS Expert

Postby Chewbacca » Tue Feb 14, 2012 11:33 am

Ill look into the backup software.

If you have to power off it hard and not do the double tap it would mean that the unit is completely hung and not just the network hung. And this has been the case whenever you don't have access?

Let me know about the power timer, I will double check with T32 also.
Chewbacca

"Rrrrrrromph!"...
Chewbacca
Jedi Council

Postby tlyczko » Tue Feb 14, 2012 11:39 am

Chewbacca wrote:Ill look into the backup software.
If you have to power off it hard and not do the double tap it would mean that the unit is completely hung and not just the network hung. And this has been the case whenever you don't have access?
Let me know about the power timer, I will double check with T32 also.

I don't know anything about a double-tap.
Yes to your question. MANUALLY powering it off means holding down the power button till all lights are OFF then count to 10, turn it back on.

Power timer absolutely does not work for me. I did the following:

1) ping -t ReadyNAS IP address
2) reset the tuesday power off/on times to a few moments in the future, clicked apply (Yes, power timer is enabled)
3) waited
4) nothing happens -- no change in the ping -t

Conclusion: Power timer does not work.

Thank you, Tom
tlyczko
ReadyNAS Expert

Postby Chewbacca » Tue Feb 14, 2012 11:48 am

Normal power shutdown tap button once and it will ask to push again to shutdown. Thats a normal shutdown. A hard shutdown if you have to hold down the button.

Ill look into the power timer and make sure it works here.
Chewbacca

"Rrrrrrromph!"...
Chewbacca
Jedi Council

Postby tlyczko » Tue Feb 14, 2012 11:51 am

Chewbacca wrote:Normal power shutdown tap button once and it will ask to push again to shutdown. Thats a normal shutdown. A hard shutdown if you have to hold down the button. Ill look into the power timer and make sure it works here.

Ohhhhh..I think I've done that before. I'l test that if it hangs etc. again.
Thank you for explaining.
I appreciate your taking time to work on all this.

Thank you, Tom
tlyczko
ReadyNAS Expert

Postby tlyczko » Tue Feb 14, 2012 12:34 pm

Only other thing I can think of to try is an OS re-install.
Which settings will be reset??
Will any data be lost??
Thank you, Tom
tlyczko
ReadyNAS Expert

Postby Chewbacca » Tue Feb 14, 2012 12:51 pm

You will not lose any data. Network settings and your admin password will get reset to defaults.
Chewbacca

"Rrrrrrromph!"...
Chewbacca
Jedi Council

Postby tlyczko » Tue Feb 28, 2012 1:12 pm

I have not had any issues with T32 for some time now on our ReadyNAS Pro 6, particularly since the OS reinstall.
Though on a ReadyNAS Pro 2 with T32 and an attached USB drive some backups run automatically/properly and some don't...can't figure why, all backups go to same USB.
I might have to do the OS re-install on the Pro 2.
Thank you, Tom
tlyczko
ReadyNAS Expert

Postby btaroli » Wed Feb 29, 2012 5:03 pm

I haven't had to do an OS reinstall, but I can attest T40 is quite stable on my Pro 6. Not sure what the status of public beta and/or release is though. Looks like public is still T32.
btaroli
Advanced ReadyNAS Expert

ReadyNAS: RN516

Postby chirpa » Wed Feb 29, 2012 5:13 pm

Please try T40 and let us know.
chirpa
Jedi Council Alumni

ReadyNAS: Repertoire

Postby tlyczko » Thu Mar 01, 2012 7:04 am

chirpa wrote:Please try T40 and let us know.

I'll put into our Pro 2, I'll see what happens.
Power off/on scheduling still does not work on either Pro-2 or Pro-6 yet.
Thank you, Tom
tlyczko
ReadyNAS Expert

Postby chirpa » Thu Mar 01, 2012 12:01 pm

Power timer issue needs to be another thread.
chirpa
Jedi Council Alumni

ReadyNAS: Repertoire

PreviousNext

Return to Public RAIDiator Beta for ReadyNAS x86 (Pro/NVX/2100/3100/3200/4200)