Request: Stop using Fuhjyyu Capacitors in your powersupplies

Please provide feedback on either our product, web site or this forum here.

Request: Stop using Fuhjyyu Capacitors in your powersupplies

Postby irev210 » Wed Apr 25, 2007 10:57 am

Im rather frustrated that I have to recap the seventeam powersupply that came with my Infrant ReadyNAS NV. Of course you guys post the service announcement that alerted me to potential problems right as my warranty expires.

My caps have started to leak already.

PLEASE, you guys use decent nichicon and nippon chemcon everywhere outside the powersupply, I dont understand why you used the most unreliable caps on what should be a server grade power supply. People buy these units for reliability and redundancy.

By increasing the fan speed I am somewhat confused how this is going to solve the problem. It may prolong it, but these Fuhjyyu caps are still going to fail.

http://www.importjdm.com/shipped/fuhjyyu.jpg
irev210
ReadyNAS User

Postby Jetlag » Wed Apr 25, 2007 9:31 pm

If I only possess average soldering skills, is this something I should/should not attempt?
I'm a NAS man! ;)
ReadyNAS Pro Business 6 X 750GB, 3GB RAM

"A nerd is someone who does not understand the difference between 'charisma' and 'charisma points'". -Me
Jetlag
ReadyNAS Expert

ReadyNAS: Pro

Postby bhoar » Wed Apr 25, 2007 10:10 pm

Jetlag wrote:If I only possess average soldering skills, is this something I should/should not attempt?

Should not.*

I say this as an average soldering skills person (aka doofus), having given myself quite the blister on the pointer finger of my left hand earlier this evening (not 45 minutes after a nasty cat bite which left a nearly 2" gash on the heel of the palm of the same hand, which was not 10 minutes after I fed her, that rascal) while using said average soldering skills to replace a soft-power switch on one of my CD duplication robots...which also leaked a bunch of green ink all over the same hand due to the previous owner having a bulk ink-refill mishap that they thought had ruined the unit, but really had only killed the power supply, allowing me to buy it (sans boot drive) for < 1/10 of what they paid.

Heh, power supply. Funny how that came full circle.

-brendan

* shorter summary: component level repairs generally require better-than-radio-shack soldering equipment and techniques (or the hands of a good surgeon using the cheap radio-shack equipment).
Unofficial, rambling and sometimes useful comments can be found above. Official, and always useful, links found below.
If you want official support, please use the phone number or phone number link below.
  • Broken Links Removed for now.
  • United States Support: 888-NETGEAR
  • International Support: Phone Numbers
FW: Hey! They're sending us free lumber!
bhoar
ReadyNAS Junkie

Postby muri » Sun Apr 29, 2007 8:55 am

Not a single word about those caps so far from Infrant.

I will look into my PSU to see if I also have these (maybe they don't use always the same components).

I would like to hear an official statement about them.
If they are the real cause of PSU troubles, people who have other caps could live without fan tweaking or noisy units.
muri
ReadyNAS User

ReadyNAS: NV+

Postby irev210 » Sun Apr 29, 2007 10:18 am

muri wrote:Not a single word about those caps so far from Infrant.

I will look into my PSU to see if I also have these (maybe they don't use always the same components).

I would like to hear an official statement about them.
If they are the real cause of PSU troubles, people who have other caps could live without fan tweaking or noisy units.

I was going to recap, but i found a brand new 1U zippy power supply that shares similar size specs to the seventeam unit.

The new zippy costs the same amount as new caps would have cost me, so I am going to try that route.

Definitely check out which caps you have, and the condition they are in, and post back to us :)
irev210
ReadyNAS User

Postby mrdrbdt2 » Mon Apr 30, 2007 5:32 am

irev210,

What model were you looking at? I'd be interested to know how that swap goes. If it isn't to bad, I'll probably consider it myself.
mrdrbdt2
ReadyNAS User

Postby Grievous » Mon Apr 30, 2007 9:42 am

Do not replace the power supply with a PSU not supplied by Infrant Technologies.

Aside from voiding your warranty, you WILL blow your replacement PSU at one point or another. An ATX connector does not mean the wiring is the same.
Grievous
Jedi Council

ReadyNAS: X6

Postby mrdrbdt2 » Mon Apr 30, 2007 5:02 pm

Grievous wrote:An ATX connector does not mean the wiring is the same.

:roll:

I've learned that lesson before! I took a month off work one summer to rebuild my Crown Vic. Wiring was one of the things I updated/fixed. I used wiring harnesses from the same year and one year newer to make one complete harness. Got done, turned the key, and nothing happened. Turns out, Ford used the same connectors but moved the pins around! ;)

Good tip, though!
mrdrbdt2
ReadyNAS User

Postby bhoar » Tue May 01, 2007 5:07 am

Grievous wrote:Do not replace the power supply with a PSU not supplied by Infrant Technologies.

Aside from voiding your warranty, you WILL blow your replacement PSU at one point or another. An ATX connector does not mean the wiring is the same.

It might be worth noting that the Power connector is custom wired and document this, perhaps in the wiki.

-brendan
Unofficial, rambling and sometimes useful comments can be found above. Official, and always useful, links found below.
If you want official support, please use the phone number or phone number link below.
  • Broken Links Removed for now.
  • United States Support: 888-NETGEAR
  • International Support: Phone Numbers
FW: Hey! They're sending us free lumber!
bhoar
ReadyNAS Junkie

Postby c3po » Tue May 01, 2007 10:16 am

bhoar wrote:
Grievous wrote:Do not replace the power supply with a PSU not supplied by Infrant Technologies.

It might be worth noting that the Power connector is custom wired and document this, perhaps in the wiki.

-brendan

Due to safety concerns, the pin-out guide has been removed.
c3po
Jedi Council

ReadyNAS: NVX

Postby muri » Tue May 01, 2007 10:37 am

c3po,

this means that the PSU "affair" will have no more support than the fan tweaking and a do-it-yourself replace that will void warranty?

I still don't understand this: last year there was a PSU exchange program for a noise issue.
Now that we have a much more serious problem that could even lead to a hardware failure, nobody seems to care that much on the Infrant side.
muri
ReadyNAS User

Postby c3po » Tue May 01, 2007 10:52 am

muri wrote:c3po,

this means that the PSU "affair" will have no more support than the fan tweaking and a do-it-yourself replace that will void warranty?

I still don't understand this: last year there was a PSU exchange program for a noise issue.
Now that we have a much more serious problem that could even lead to a hardware failure, nobody seems to care that much on the Infrant side.

Muri,

My last post is just a reply for the PSU wiring document suggested by Brendan, it does not imply that we encourage our users to try any do-it-yourself replacement(Actually, any such modifications are not recommended).
Even as a robot, I can feel that every body(not nobody) at Infrant cares their customers :)
c3po
Jedi Council

ReadyNAS: NVX

Postby muri » Tue May 01, 2007 1:43 pm

I hope so, I was just wondering why I never got an answer to my question about PSU.

I'm just asking why a noise issue was fixed with PSU exchange while a potentially defective PSU seems to be less important.

The fan tweaking seems to be a cheap trick to a lot of people here.
muri
ReadyNAS User

Postby irev210 » Tue May 01, 2007 8:41 pm

c3po wrote:
bhoar wrote:

-brendan

Pin-out guide removed due to safety concerns

whew, thanks for the heads up on that one! I will make the mods needed to rewire the atx connector.

My unit is out of warranty. I looked on infrants e-store and Im not paying 140 dollars for a new PSU. I got mine for 10 dollars brand new off ebay + 8 dollars shipping.
irev210
ReadyNAS User

Postby irev210 » Tue May 01, 2007 11:28 pm

muri wrote:I hope so, I was just wondering why I never got an answer to my question about PSU.

I'm just asking why a noise issue was fixed with PSU exchange while a potentially defective PSU seems to be less important.

The fan tweaking seems to be a cheap trick to a lot of people here.

I am sure the fan trick is just a short-term solution while they talk to seventeam and try to figure out how serious the problem is. Regardless of what seventeam/infrant says, I wont run fuhjyyu caps for a day longer than I have to... my life is backed up onto a little box called a readynas NV :)

Im actually rather happy that infrant would give me a heads up on the 20 pin atx powersupply. Since it is a standard 20pin plug, I wouldnt have even thought to check the pin-out.

Im getting rid of the ADDA fan, which is decent, but im moving up to server grade Sanyo denki, NMB-MAT or Delta, havent decided which one. Most likely Sanyo Denki.

I am going to have a whole new server set up :) New server-grade fan, server grade power supply, and I will be up and running, worry free.
irev210
ReadyNAS User

Next

Return to Feedback