NV+, PS3 and DLNA

Please post questions regarding SqueezeCenter, Home Media Streaming Server, UPnP AV services here.

NV+, PS3 and DLNA

Postby pteittinen » Thu May 24, 2007 1:43 am

The latest firmware (v1.80) for PS3 added support for DLNA compliant media servers. The documentation specifically mentions DLNA3.

I updated one of my PS3s a moment ago to try it out with NV+. I've got plenty of video files in various formats on NV+, but PS3 refused to play any of them. It does, however, find both my NV+ boxes very quickly and is able to browse the directory tree without problems.

Entering each directory, PS3 first lists a bunch of files, all named "Unsupported format". When one tries to play any of them, an error message pops up, to the effect of "media server disconnected" or something along those lines.

After that the name of the file is suddenly displayed correctly. PS3 is still unable to play it, though, and complains about the media server.

Infrant, care to comment on the DLNA compliancy of NV+?
pteittinen
ReadyNAS User

Postby menge » Thu May 24, 2007 6:02 am

maybe you need to install twinkyvision (dlna aproved?)

http://www.twonkyvision.com/Products/Tw ... index.html

im going to try tonight
menge
ReadyNAS Newbie

NV+, PS3 and DLNA

Postby d0ct0r » Thu May 24, 2007 10:48 am

I also tried this, my NAS showed up immediately in the PS3, and I was also able to browse the directory structure. Most of my media also showed "unsupported format", however some of it appears to be valid codecs.

But, when I try to actually open one of the files, I get an error on the PS3 saying permission is denied by the server. I am using Share access in the NAS, so basically there is no permissions, and I don't see anywhere in the PS3 or on the NAS to adjust any kind of permissions for UPNP service.

Anyone have any ideas? This is yet another case where shell access to my own fileserver sure would be nice.
d0ct0r
ReadyNAS Newbie

Postby clsnelling » Thu May 24, 2007 10:50 am

We shouldn't have to install a paid software to view pictures from the NAS! I have been playing with the settings all day and have the same problem.

I can connect to the NAS and view all of the files and folders, but when I try to play them, it says "Access to the media server has been denied".

Does anyone know of a setting that can resolve this?
clsnelling
ReadyNAS Newbie

Postby pteittinen » Thu May 24, 2007 11:33 am

Good to see others are experiencing similar problems. Infrant, any comments?
pteittinen
ReadyNAS User

Postby clsnelling » Thu May 24, 2007 11:49 am

I've tried changing every security and file protocol setting I could and couldn't get it to work, so I installed the trial of Twonkymedia 4.3. It set up quickly and works pretty well. I am playing with the configuration settings on it now to try to make the menus easier to navigate. It costs about $40 so I'm not sure it would be worth it for how little I will probably use it.

Hopefully, Infrant can come up with a solution before the 30 days is up.
clsnelling
ReadyNAS Newbie

Postby d0ct0r » Thu May 24, 2007 11:53 am

I too do not want to buy additional software for this. NV+ is supposed to be a upnp server, I hope Infrant can resolve their upnp service issue.

Did installing twonky show any change in the number of "unsupported format" files? Or does it just actually work for the files that were shown as being playable before but had the permission problem.
d0ct0r
ReadyNAS Newbie

Postby peters » Thu May 24, 2007 12:44 pm

Problem is not with the Infrant but with the PS3. Current supported codecs is EXTREMELY limited.
peters
ReadyNAS Newbie

ReadyNAS: NV

Postby d0ct0r » Thu May 24, 2007 12:46 pm

I figured it wouldn't affect the support/unsupported codecs but had to ask. The UPNP permission problem (i.e. can't view ANY file unless using twonky) is an issue with the Infrant ReadyNAS UPNP service.
d0ct0r
ReadyNAS Newbie

Postby pteittinen » Thu May 24, 2007 12:55 pm

d0ct0r wrote:The UPNP permission problem (i.e. can't view ANY file unless using twonky) is an issue with the Infrant ReadyNAS UPNP service.

That's pretty much what I figured. I hope Infrant is doing something about this.
pteittinen
ReadyNAS User

Postby scotthpeterson » Thu May 24, 2007 7:18 pm

Bump. Same issue here. ReadyNas NV+ shows up immediately after enabling UPNP service on my NAS with Video and Music directories (strangely enough, my pics directory does not show up). I can browse through the directories but as soon as I try and play something, I get the Access Denied error.

Very frustrating!
scotthpeterson
ReadyNAS Newbie

Postby clsnelling » Thu May 24, 2007 7:27 pm

Twonky has its quirks too. Can't figure out how to make playlists so the file lists are so large that it takes forever to scroll from top to bottom.

Since the UPnP works with Twonky it obviously works with Infrant, we just need some kind of upgrade or patch for whatever conflict it has with the PS3.
clsnelling
ReadyNAS Newbie

NV+ Hide and Seek

Postby Amadeus » Thu May 24, 2007 9:08 pm

I've had my NV+ show up immediately after I started the uPnP service but after trying to browse it, the unit has disappeared and having the PS3 scan for the NV+ yields in no media server being found anymore.
Amadeus
Advanced ReadyNAS User

ReadyNAS: Pro

Postby beq » Thu May 24, 2007 11:05 pm

FWIW, TwonkyVision 4.4 Beta 1 for PS3 support:

http://www.twonkyvision.de/forum/viewto ... php?t=3066

(Infrant version not posted yet?)
beq
ReadyNAS Expert

Postby pteittinen » Fri May 25, 2007 3:34 am

I would be much reassured if Infrant were to comment on the matter along the lines of "We're aware of the issue and are working on a fix."

But the silence does not bode well.
pteittinen
ReadyNAS User

Next

Return to Streaming Services