X6 front fan MOD!

Please post any helpful and useful tips to maximize your fellow ReadyNAS users' experience.

X6 front fan MOD!

Postby Jetlag » Sun Jan 08, 2006 7:51 pm

(I got my idea from this THREAD.)

I noticed that my disk temps were running a stready 42C, and although that is not extremely high, I wanted to find an easy way to keep this thing a bit cooler.

First, I gently removed the screen behind the grill (held in place with sticky tape). Although it only increased airflow a little, it really helped cut down on the rushing air noise. My average temps fell by maybe 1-2 degrees C. This will allow bigger dust particles into the box, but it is already in a dust filtered equipment closet so I am not to concerned.

Next, I noticed that the front 92mm fan was not very well lined up with the grill openings. In fact, it sort of looked like they had originally planned to put a 120mm fan in there. So I thought, hmm, sounds like a good Sunday evening project.

I bought this very quiet fan at C*mpUSA for <$10. Quite a bit bigger than the stock fan. 60CFM @ 24 dB, perfect!

Step 1, remove ugly sticker!

Then I removed the stock fan and it's mounting brackets and what do you know, the 120mm fan fits like a glove! (OJ's glove being the exception of course)

Next I found some old plastic pieces laying around my workshop (note the built-in standoffs), and I trimmed them to size with a sharp box cutter.

I was able to re-use the original screws, but this time I inserted them from behind (insert your own joke here), into the standoffs. Fit perfectly. I also used a countersink bit to drill the holes in the front of the plastic pieces.

The best part of this mod is that no holes were drilled, and no metal was cut! Can you say; "Warranty Intact!" If I ever have to send it anywhere, it is very easy to reinstall the original fan and brackets!

Even though I did no drilling or cutting, if you do this mod, be sure to give it a few big blasts of air to ensure no crud is left inside the box.

The final product

You can see from the photo how perfectly the 120mm fan lines up with the grill now.

FWIW (in case you were wondering), the electrical tape on the front is to help dim the light emitted from the LEDs, they are far to bright (in my girlfriend's opinion).

I will let the box run for a few hours before I post any info on temperatures post-mod. Frontview is showing everything A-OK at this point, with a current fan speed of 1049 RPM.

One final item, since I could clearly see the annoying white plastic and the screws through the front grill, a good coating from a permanent black sharpie and the problem was solved.

This might be *ahem* a good idea *ahem* for Infrant to use *ahem* for Revision C.

More later.
Jetlag
ReadyNAS Expert

ReadyNAS: Pro

Postby zibby » Sun Jan 08, 2006 8:59 pm

I'm thinking to use this fan. Quiet, good air flow, and low power consumption

http://www.silenx.com/fan_pro_74.asp
zibby
ReadyNAS User

Postby Jetlag » Sun Jan 08, 2006 9:02 pm

Well, my box has been back up for almost exactly 2 hrs 30 minutes, and I have been running Slimserver as well as copying files to it. The results..........

May we have a drumroll please

Average disk temp = 38.25 degrees C! That's a drop of 3.75 degrees C (or 6.75 degrees F). Very happy with those results, especially for only $9.85 including tax!

Internal box temp showing 35.5 degrees C with a fan speed of just under 1300 RPM. Nice!

My dB meter is not sensitive enough to measure the sound level, but my ears tell me that it is most definitley quieter than it was before.

BTW, the fan must be 25mm deep, no way a 38mm or larger will fit in the narrow gap.
Jetlag
ReadyNAS Expert

Postby zibby » Sun Jan 08, 2006 9:32 pm

MD-120MM-CF-UC
Dimensions
120x120x25mm
Max. Air Flow 60 CFM
Noise 24 dBA
Rotational Speed 1800 ±10% RPM
Air Pressure 2.2 mm - H2O
Rated Voltage 12V
Started Voltage 6V
Rated Current 0.12 A ±10%
Power Input 1.44 W± 10%
Bearing Type Sleeve Bearing
MTBF 30,000 Hours
Connector(s) 3-Pin
Operation Temp 10°C ~ 70°C
Weight 128 g

http://www.mdmm.com/products/techietoyz/fans.asp

Specs on this fan look ok.
zibby
ReadyNAS User

Re: X6 front fan MOD!

Postby Jedi Knight » Mon Jan 09, 2006 12:18 am

Thanks for posting this!!
Jedi Knight
Jedi Council Alumni

Postby drew138 » Mon Jan 09, 2006 7:13 am

WOuld this work with the original grill in place?
drew138
ReadyNAS User

Postby iatacs19 » Mon Jan 09, 2006 7:27 am

I have the Rev. A and I also removed the grill, it dropped temperatures by about 2-3F.

I think the 120mm is the way to go though. Probably similar CFM but at much reduces noise levels.

Good job Jetlag!!
iatacs19
ReadyNAS Expert

Postby Jetlag » Mon Jan 09, 2006 8:07 am

drew138 wrote:Would this work with the original grill in place?

Yes, the fan will fit behind the screen. With the greatly increased airflow though, I would assume that the noise produced would most definitely increase. My dB meter is not sensitive enough, maybe someone else can post some numbers after they do the mod.
Jetlag
ReadyNAS Expert

Postby Jetlag » Mon Jan 09, 2006 2:17 pm

Well, my X6 has been "up" since about 6:30 last night. I just copied a bunch of files to it in a big backup.

The disks are holding steady at an average temperature of 39.25 degrees C, the "Temp 1" is 36.5 degrees, and the ambient temp of my equipment closet is 26 C. So the HDDs are running only 13C above ambient now. Better than my PC!

I might move the X6 down into my basement (way cooler) to see how it does down there.
Jetlag
ReadyNAS Expert

Postby sechs » Mon Jan 16, 2006 12:16 pm

Does anyone have a standard and, er, "less ghetto" method of mounting a 120mm fan in the ReadyNAS?

All of the methods brought forth thus far are fairly ad hoc and involve random spare parts and/or cutting skills.
sechs
ReadyNAS User

Postby floris » Sat Jan 21, 2006 8:01 am

Sechs,
have a look. :idea: It is not cheap by a long way, but it may solve the problem for mounting the 120mm fan and I figure it can not be difficult.

I orderd the window with the 120mm cut out ready made and will trim the window size to find behind the front plate of the X6.

As soon as I have it (shipping will take a week or so) I will let you know if this idea works.

http://www.frozencpu.com/win-105.html

or

http://www.frozencpu.com/win-102.html
floris
ReadyNAS Newbie

Postby Jetlag » Sat Jan 21, 2006 9:21 am

How thick is the lexan? I thought about doing something similar, but with the limited space behind the front grill I feared it might be a very tight squeeze.

I am looking for slightly longer standoffs at present to allow for this type of setup. This will create a small gap between the front plate and body of the X6, but I think it will easily allow for this type of mod as well as giving the fan greater room to perform more efficiently. Fans are not used optimally when they are tightly sandwiched in as in this case. I don't think the gap (probably about 5mm) will be very noticeable.

I also want to utilize an efficient cleanable filter, and the longer standoffs will allow for placing this in front of the fan.

BTW, if you want to cut the hole yourself, a 4 1/2" holesaw works perfectly, just be certain to use a slow rotation speed while cutting (a drill press is also highly recommended):

Jetlag
ReadyNAS Expert

Postby zibby » Sat Jan 21, 2006 1:21 pm

Here is a template to mount 120mm fan. Print it out at scale 1:1

I'll use plexiglass to cut it out.
More pictures to follow.

http://www.az-electronics.com/images/ReadyNAS.pdf
P.S. I'm just happy end user, not associated with Infrant in any way
zibby
ReadyNAS User

Postby floris » Sun Jan 22, 2006 3:13 am

zibby: this is better than usefull! This is just what I'm looking for :)

There are two templates in the pdf. What is the the difference? Any reason for using the one or other?
cheers,
floris
ReadyNAS Newbie

Postby zibby » Sun Jan 22, 2006 9:53 am

You can use one big template or 2 halfs. Whatever is easier to make.
Just make sure to print it out and test it, prior cuting out material.
P.S. I'm just happy end user, not associated with Infrant in any way
zibby
ReadyNAS User

Next

Return to User Submitted Tips