Windows xp keeps asking for password

Please post questions and issues pertaining to share access and file permission here.

Windows xp keeps asking for password

Postby bab5139 » Sun Apr 02, 2006 6:09 pm

Windows XP keeps asking for a password every time i reboot even though i have saved the login and password for the share. This has happend on every installation of windows xp that i have done on multiple computers. How do i fix this. I do not want to have to reconnect the shared drives every single time i reboot. Some one has to have come across this.
bab5139
ReadyNAS User

Postby davidjaymz » Mon Apr 03, 2006 2:35 am

I've got the same problem too.

Someone posted in a thread about using Outlook on the ReadyNAS that they had a script that auto'd the share drives on bootup but when i posted to ask if he'd care to share there was no reply.
davidjaymz
ReadyNAS User

Postby bab5139 » Mon Apr 03, 2006 5:04 pm

you could write a script using the windows command

net use

for instance

net use \\192.168.0.2\media password /user:username

but it still should work because it saves the login password if it is a persistent mount.
bab5139
ReadyNAS User

Postby ewok » Mon Apr 03, 2006 5:44 pm

I don't think Windows will save share passwords, only user passwords, but you can get the share to automount by putting this in a .bat file:

net use e: \\$hostname\$sharename $password /u:$sharename /persistent:no

and placing the file in your Startup menu. Replace the variables accordingly.
ewok
Jedi Council

ReadyNAS: Pro

Postby bab5139 » Wed Apr 05, 2006 5:07 pm

If that were the case why do windows shares stay persistent when you map a network drive and connect using a different user name. I haven't had any problems using that.
bab5139
ReadyNAS User

Postby ewok » Thu Apr 06, 2006 11:41 am

It may be a difference in the way Windows handles share vs. user passwords. This would be something to ask Microsoft. :)
ewok
Jedi Council

ReadyNAS: Pro

Re: Windows xp keeps asking for password

Postby frostycolin » Fri Apr 14, 2006 12:04 pm

bab5139 wrote:Windows XP keeps asking for a password every time i reboot even though i have saved the login and password for the share. This has happend on every installation of windows xp that i have done on multiple computers. How do i fix this. I do not want to have to reconnect the shared drives every single time i reboot. Some one has to have come across this.

When I set my password on the ReadyNAS box to be the same as my Windows log-on password, then the share stopped prompting me for my password every time I logged on. Now I'm happy...
- Colin
frostycolin
ReadyNAS Newbie

Postby Ukyo » Sun May 07, 2006 4:25 pm

I'm having the same issue w/ XP always asking me to login after every boot up... but here's the weird thing, it only happens w/ my laptop... for my desktop, it never asks for login/password after the first time... How did everyone map their drives? Here's how i did mine for my desktop which I tried to repeat on my laptop but it didn't work...

RUN command
\\X6 (name of my NAS)
windows ask for login/pw and I entered the info and checked save
explorer opens a window listing all the directories
right click on each directory and mapped them to a drive letter

and that was that for my desktop and i was never asked for login details anymore but I unmapped all the drives on my laptop and tried the above but it still asks for login credentials each time I reboot... :?
Ukyo
ReadyNAS User

Return to Share Access and File Permission